1. Wild Frontier

The Wild Frontier has opened. Stake your claim as we enter Chapter 5 and a new era for the Expanse RP!

Dismiss Notice

SPACE Wrasslin'

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Brenda Hernandez, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Brenda Hernandez

Brenda Hernandez Kasai's Hammer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The Skipper left, leaving Brenda alone with his mop and his armory. This was how he liked it. Sure, the ship hummed as it always did, the quiet groan of metal heard whenever it even minutely changed course. But with propulsion came gravity, and he wasn't one to enjoy floating away into the ceiling.

Calloused palms run down the wooden shaft of the mop he held - he preferred wooden handles - and the scrape of skin against the grain put him at ease. Truth was, he enjoyed cleaning. It wasn't the fact he was cleaning that he enjoyed; rather, it was the chance to blank your mind and disappear into nothing.

It was that special 'man' skill; the 'nothing' box. When confronted with onerous tasks like cleaning, or checking ammunition, he went to his 'nothing' box and blanked his mind.

Blinking, the mop unmoving, he snapped out of the fugue state he'd been in, moving to a nearby locker. With a press of his finger to the scanner, it clicked open, and with a tug of a finger more like a pipe than a digit, he opened the thin metal door. Grunting as he stuffed a hand into the darkness, he pulled out a pair of headphones and a boxy device.

A hand reached into a recess near the back, where he kept a variety of small sim cards. One was popped in, and he untangled the cord of his headphones. Most people used wireless now, but he preferred cords, for the simply reason that they wouldn't interfere with the armor diagnostics if the signals got a little too close.

The spongey black covering for the earphones themselves were worn and threadbare, chunks missing where it had literally been worn through, but he set it over his ears nonetheless. He'd actually had to modify the headband, stretching it out and securing it with duct tape so it could fit over his head.

With a happy sigh, he closed the locker, going back to his mop, beginning to sweep it across the floor to the beat, a hint of a sway to his hips and a lazy smirk on his face. Smirks didn't suit him, just like happiness look foreign on the battered cliff of his face, but there was an almost childlike gleam to his eye as he cleaned the thick splatters of blood up.

Weapons. Blood. Music.

"Perfect." He rumbles, voice the sated growl of a stretching lion.

@Aurelia Juarez @Irkalla Kasai

Irkalla Kasai and Aurelia Juarez like this.
  2. Aurelia Juarez

Aurelia Juarez Hammer and Nails

Character Biography:
    Bio
    IMPLANT ACTIVATED PROGRAM OPERATIONAL |...
    ACKNOWLEDGE TO BEGIN ROUTINE DIAGNOSTICS |...
    MAINTENANCE WARNING DISPATCH SECTION SHUT DOWN IN FIVE |...

Aurelia looked up the maintenance shaft, "Juarez up on section." She shouted and as expected there was no reply, there wouldn't be. Her boots echoed throughout as they clicked against the decking. Her implant located the nearest electrical node and the panels nearby to access it. Her implant had already dispatched a warning to those on this level and without thinking the sergeant had no idea that this included the dear Skipper. Power would be shut down temporarily, generators would go online for this section for life support only. Lights would be kept minimal while diagnostics were run.

Gray slacks met with the metal grate, and her toolkit was set down beside her boots. She popped open the hatch and set the panel down and began to hook up.

DIAGNOSTIC SCAN IN PROGRESS|...
    ////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    /// MCRN NERGAL ///\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    WELCOME SERGEANT JUAREZ MMC4332E
    /// MAIN MENU ///\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    INITIATING POWER TEST |...

The sergeant's implant made her eye look as green as they could get. She sat quite still letting the information run through her eye. She fumbled for her kit and pulled the spanner from its bed ready to make any tweaks if necessary. Her mind by now was buried in work and had pushed her depression to the side but even so, it still taunted her. For now, she was grateful for the tedious work even if she should be in her bunk resting. Her free time was hers to do what she wanted and for now what she wanted was to work. Or find a way to numb the pain without finding someone to beat it out of her.

Irkalla Kasai likes this.
  3. Irkalla Kasai

Irkalla Kasai That’s ‘Commander’ to you.

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Well… shit.

Irritation drew a taut bowstring along her spine. A breath and a curl of the fingers away from her goal… and there goes the water.

And the lights.

And the mood.

Lips pulled back in a snarl she’d picked up from @Brenda Hernandez over the years, and Kasai pushed off the wall. Blonde hair clung in dark strands to her back as she stepped out of the shower, feeling her way through the pitch of the bathroom.

“Fucker. Who the fuck is fucking with my ship at this fucking hour…”

Muttering, the woman yanked fresh slacks over damp skin and picked her way into the main cabin. The backup lights were on, here – at least she dodged stubbing her toe on the edge of the table. Small miracles.

Flopping down on the bed, Kasai yanked her hand terminal off the shelf and swiped the Nergal data onto her main display wall.

Green eyes narrowed into slits.

“You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.”

She stopped herself just shy of touching her lips – stabbed an angry glance down at her traitorous hand. The furrow in her brow deepened as she considered the name on the screen. Clicked her tongue.

Fine.

Not like this problem was going to solve itself. They never did.

Kasai swiped the system monitoring to the side and brought up the personnel file of one Sergeant @Aurelia Juarez. It took her all of five seconds to realize that it would hardly make for bedtime reading, and another three to tightbeam the woman in question.

And if it happened to be off the military frequency, well— that wasn’t anyone’s fucking business.

“Did you know you’re the only qualified Electrical systems technician on the ship, Sergeant?”

Aurelia Juarez likes this.
  4. Aurelia Juarez

Character Biography:
    Bio
    She transferred the power test to the terminal in her hand, a lot easier than sitting there staring blankly at the panel. Sergeant Juarez compiled the results and compared them to the previous week's scan. A small influx of the numbers but they were still well within normal range. Her hands moved within the hatch. Fingers grasped onto memory nodes making sure they were still secure. Wires still plugged and tucked, her terminal chimed. Skipper's voice came through and she didn't sound a touch too happy.

Juarez didn't care and replied with tight candor in her voice,
    "no ma'am." Then again, the sergeant didn't poke around into other people's business. She assumed everyone had a job and that they did it, no need to bother with the small talk. It was just a waste of time, and before she thought to ask what it was she could help good ol' Wildcat with. The sergeant swiped her terminal and kept her smile hidden beneath the stoic exterior of a Martian marine.

"Power will be back on shortly, Commander." Again, her voice was tight. Almost hard to discern any feeling in her words. It had become an automated response. Hammer and nails be damned, most folks would be asleep but then again most folks ain't Wildcat.

Her implant activated again which forced her to put the terminal down.

RESPONSE / PING TEST |...
    DATA CORRUPTION TEST |...
    NORTH BUS TEST |...
    SOUTH BUS TEST |...
    SYSTEMS CHECK | ...

5. Irkalla Kasai

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Unimpressed, Kasai glanced back at the status monitor.

“No, it won’t.” Just like it hadn’t the previous three times that month. And the six before that. And the three before that. Fuck, did time ever fly on space patrol.

Maybe the Sarge was forgetting the Commander could see all the logs. Maybe she just didn’t care.

Content to let the silence stretch for the moment, Kasai got into the meat of the Marine’s file. Training, posts, promotions… ah. Jackpot.

Not many soldiers were happily married, all things considered. Suppose it shouldn’t have come as a surprise. Thumbing through her memory snapshots of their fight, Kasai could now recall the pale band of skin on the woman’s hand.

“You know I’m going to have to transfer you off the Nergal for that stunt you pulled.” Irkalla sighed, twisting to yank some healing salve from her bedside drawer. Wouldn’t do to look like a mess before Admiral Nara tomorrow.

It stung as she began to apply it to split knuckles, but she relished the burn. “Wanna tell me why?”

6. Aurelia Juarez

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "My apologies, Commander. Going as fast as I can," it was a bit of a stretch, and in all fairness Juarez was just as efficient as any other EST. Couldn't help machines that were slower but for all accounts the Nergal was a lot to take in. Silence sat on comms but the Sergeant was okay with it, silence was good. It felt like a blanket most days, leaving her alone with her thoughts without anyone to interrupt them.

Results came back and she thumbed through the results on her terminal. Skipper referred to the stunt, and as far as Juarez was concerned it didn't happen. Wasn't something she talked about even if she hadn't pressed lips with Wildcat. Instead she focused back on the job, the words fell into the recycled air of the Nergal. It sat there for all of two minutes before Juarez replied. "Standard duty change, Commander. Rotations being what they are at any rate."

She didn't have the advantage that the Commander had, Irkalla "Wildcat" Kasai as far as the Sergeant was concerned. Connecting a work terminal with the panel she sent a test jolt through. Shutting her implant off for now, the Martian needed to concentrate on the harder numbers. Each time she spoke her voice was dry, cut, straight to the point like any soldier would when talking with their superior officer.

Unfortunately, Juarez never stopped being a marine. When she came home, transitions into civilian routines were hard. Learning to check the tones at the door even harder. The ability to detach from life could be great during a life in the service. Cold, unnerving, and aggressive when needed but that didn't equate to a happy home life. Never really did, nor did it help matters that her now ex-wife was always all too happy to rush into work. Or so, Juarez would always put it, but deep down she'd always blame herself. Samantha would always deserve much better than just a regular, every day grunt who'd rather spend their time beating the shit out of Belters than in a warm bed running their hands through their wife's blonde hair.

A ping from the work terminal brought her mind back to the forefront as did the Commander's voice that broke her concentration.

7. Irkalla Kasai

Character Biography:
    Bio
    If the noise that followed was a hiccup in the connection or Kasai chuckling, it was anyone’s guess.

The Commander rubbed at her aching hands and rested her head against the wall. Didn’t have to be a rocket scientist to spot the evasive maneuvers Juarez was trying to pull – not like she was trying to be subtle. Marines rarely were.

“Answer the question, Sergeant.” If there was any trace of warmth at all in her tone before, it was all gone now. Kasai was capable of compassion; personnel files were not. Green eyes flickered back to the screen – and lingered there.

Funny, how something as simple as the photo of an ex-wife could be so telling.

“I’m going to have to list a reason for the transferral request, Juarez. I’d prefer if it didn’t ruin your career.”

8. Aurelia Juarez

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Transferal request is simple," Juarez began as she grabbed for her magnetized wrench and let slip a curse when the spanner dropped from her one hand and into the kit smacking her fingers on the way. It resembled something to Earth's own Spanish but the word fell out with Londres Novan style. "Chingademadres," it was just beneath the volume of typical words but enough that a sensitive comm could pick it up.

After a quick inspection of her finger revealed it not only still worked, but that there was no open wound. The sergeant continued, "personality disorder." Wasn't like she didn't already have enough of those, "or if that one doesn't suit your mood, Commander. You can always put, problems with authority and in which case I get to head back down to the red dirt for briefing and questioning."

"Either way, doesn't really matter. I'll end up somewhere in the spits, again." Her words hardened and they were still as cold and as callous as before. She sat down in front of the panel and stuck the wrench beside the open hatch. Juarez grabbed at her work terminal again and looked at the numbers, "you'll be happy to know that the Nergal's purring like a beauty. Just a few hick ups on the numbers but nothing unhealthy. I'll get the numbers to the engineers later tonight."

9. Irkalla Kasai

Character Biography:
    Bio
    “Juarez—” Kasai stared hard at the dossier on her screen, Aurelia.”

“I’m not keen on falsifying reports,” a blatant lie, “and I’m not about to start now.” Her voice turned sharp to mirror the keen tone the Marine had adopted. Could cut more than just tension with that timbre, that’s for sure.

“If your divorce is haunting you, sort it out. Preferably before some blonde officer finally reports you.” Shots below the belt weren’t honorable – but they always got the job done. Kasai always got the job done.

“Now answer the fucking question, Sergeant. That’s an order.”

10. Aurelia Juarez

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Any sense of honor just went out the window. Right next to duty and discipline, and even as the dead silence rode over comms. Even as the sound of boots against the decking faded. You could hear the anger in the sergeant's footsteps, fists clenched and unclenched. And then there was nothing, nothing on the section just a panel that had now been shut, testing complete for now. Juarez made a mental note to inform the next EST to finish the job. A phantom image of her ex-wife seemed to appear and the sergeant swore she could hear the doctor now.

Control your temper, Remington. There is absolutely no need to get confrontational, cool it marine.

She stopped in her steps. Dead cold and paced back toward her workstation, and then away again debating on what she would do. Quietly, she knelt back down and comms were alive with the sounds of work. The panel was set back down and she activated her implant and work terminal. The Skipper was going to find herself without any lights, real soon, and the door? Sealed. You'd have to crack that sucker open manually. "You want an answer, Wildcat? Alright, here's your goddamn answer, pendeja." Her voice seethed with hostility if Kasai wanted to illicit/provoke a reaction she got it.

"What happened tonight between you and me in an illegal fighting ring on a Martian naval ship, under your command was just entertainment. The boys and girls got a howdy rise from it, it was a show, it was an opportunity. If you think for a split fucking second that there was anything, you're a fucking comedian with an ego the size of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir." She didn't stop, she was going to let the Commander have it all. "So you can put whatever the fuck you want on the transfer request. If it runs me out of the corps then so fucking be it, but I will be fucking damned if you bring up my private life ever again. Don't. I don't sit here and question you on your poor life choices, I don't sit here and question your fucking orders or if you fucked Admiral Arschloch or Colonel Hundeschwanz."

"The divorce doesn't haunt me so much as my entire fucking life. You wanna know what fucking happened? You're about to find out."

She thought she heard the Commander shuffling about.

"No, sit down shut the fuck up, it's story time Wildcat."

11. Irkalla Kasai

Character Biography:
    Bio
    If she were any younger – any less controlled, poised, disciplined, whatever the fuck you wanna call it – she’d have snorted.

Hook, line, sinker.

Instead, the Commander simply waved her hand at the empty room. No-one could see, least of all the Sergeant about to burst a vein across the commlink.

Kasai always got the job done.

“Speak, then.”

12. Aurelia Juarez

Character Biography:
    Bio

"We imploded."

Her voice had gone quiet, opposite of what Kasai had just received. Walking wounded would be the term to use now. "I knew we were drifting and I could see the writing on the wall, she had moved on and I just never found a way to talk." Samantha had found someone else to warm her bed, and her heart while Juarez continued on with the Marines. "I shut down and soldiered on."

"She always needed more than I could give her, and when I needed her she was working." And for a while, she could respect that but rather than talk to Samantha. Aurelia just kept it to herself. If only because there hadn't been a point in fighting, "but I always knew what she would say, it was the same thing all the time." An uneasy silence settled on the commlink. Aurelia shook her head as she looked at the panel and watched the terminal run more numbers. "She was always busy, and so was I, the story of my life. Everyone was so busy, doing this, that and third."

A scoff.

"There was the fighting, the shouting, the accusations but in the end, it didn't matter," she sighed and there was a bit of guilt. A pang in her voice as she flipped through the terminal. "And of course when my folks figured it out, it was my fault, again." The quietness of her voice was unusual, soft even. "Just like it's always been and just like it always will be."

"I'd like to say that we tried but to be honest, I really don't think either of us gave a shit at the end."

"So yeah, I grabbed you for a wild ride, but it wasn't anything more than that. You're cute, I'll give you that but I've had more than my share of troubles with blondes."

13. Irkalla Kasai

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Didn’t really mind the dark – grew up in a district where power was out more often than not. Easier to read by moonlight when you have two moons, though.

Well, had. But Kasai tried not to dwell on that.

The Commander kept shut, listened, and said nothing for a long time. Even after Juarez spoke that last bitter word. Everything was quiet around her but for the din of a ship alive and well. What was it the Sarge had said – purring?

Jade eyes were closed, bruised arms crossed under her head. And that blonde hair was nigh-on dry already.

Irkalla sighed, nudging her terminal back to life.

“At ease, Juarez,” she spoke, voice gravelly from disuse. “I had to get a straight answer out of you, but… I’m sorry. For the low blow.” There was something like a mental shrug to her words. “I don’t have to tell you how command looks on these things.”

Plenty of officers had been permanently frozen in their career tracks after such… incidents. Kasai had no intentions on joining them.

“You got any preference?” A beat. “For the transfer?”

14. Aurelia Juarez

Character Biography:
    Bio
    And that was that.

Dices que fui yo,
    Y no fui yo,
    Que nunca te amé de verdad. ¡Qué rabia me da!
    Diste tu versión
    Pero olvidaste

The comms went silent again and within moments power to the section had come on.

If the commander had any other questions they had to wait.

Wildcat had done more than struck a nerve when she mentioned the divorce. She broke open a wound that the sergeant had been hoping to keep quiet for the rest of the night. But it reared its head back into her mind and her heart. A quietness followed and all that could be heard was the working of the panel. She wasn't interested in talking anymore, instead, she wanted to drink herself stupid and hit the sack.

Que me soltaste, me soltaste, cuando más necesitaba aferrarme.
    Apostaste, y me obligaste a buscar en otras partes amor.
    Oh yo sé, que en ese escenario igual jugué mi papel.
    Oh lo sé, se ha hecho tarde para volver.
    For all the problems she and Samantha had had the sergeant had to admit at least one thing.

She missed her.

Damn did she miss her wife most especially in moments like this.

15. Irkalla Kasai

Character Biography:
    Bio
    That noise somewhere between a hiss and a snarl was Kasai letting out her frustration. Couldn’t exactly scream at this hour.

She clicked her tongue and dropped the terminal back on the shelf.

Puffed out the last breath of hot air.

“Alright, Juarez.”

The room didn’t answer.

Groaning from the bruises, Kasai rolled over and accessed the main network. Time to put in a request. What was that ship again? Strider? Trident?

Under a furrowed brow, the Commander peered at her console through slitted eyes. Fuck, too bright. The Intelligence officer there wasn’t too bad, Reed’s said. You could always judge a ship by its Chief of Security.

With soft string of curses on her lips, Kasai set to falsifying a report.

16. Aurelia Juarez

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Juarez had long since faded from the section, panels put where they had been.

When she had reached her bunk, she set the terminal down on the coverall. "Don't reckon you've ever had Salton Redshine, have you?" Her voice would break any silence the commander had been enjoying. Redshine was a speciality to the Salton region. Distilled from recycled water, and range of engineered purcorn, sugar, and yeast. It held a distinctive purple coloring thanks to the corn and was sworn to be a dash more potent than its Earther cousin.

She didn't wait for an answer.

The sergeant grabbed her terminal, the bottle and two shot glasses and headed for the upper levels. If she was going to be sent off for fraternization or whatever the hell it was that Wildcat put. Then she might as well enjoy the out. The boots all too familiar sounds against the decking gave her away if she hadn't already. Hair swept to one side as the shaved edges felt the breeze of the stale ship air. All that could be heard otherwise was the purr of the reactor.

17. Brenda Hernandez

Brenda Hernandez Kasai's Hammer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    He moved over the cleaned armory floor, the closet door hissing open so he could put away his mop and bucket. The bag of what he called 'coagulant' was set into the corner and he shut it behind him. He hadn't been paying attention to much going on around him, but he knew that by now the ship was operating on it's skeleton crew.

There was a minor bridge crew, some in engineering, and an MP or two, but that was about it.

Figuring it was time to hit the bunk, he toggled through his music, settling on one with a hint of a sneer.

As he stepped out of the armory and pressed his palm to the scanner, the door sealed with an audible click of engaging piston-locks. Pulling his blouse on over his shoulders, he grunted as the fabric struggled to seal to the mountainous shoulders that the Lord of Lifting had gifted unto him for his sacrifices.

He simply left the buttons undone down the front as he bobbed his head to the music piping through his headphones. @Aurelia Juarez and @Irkalla Kasai were mostly forgotten by this point, and by the time he reached his room he knew they would be. Mag-boots click-locking into place as he walked, he smiled to himself, wishing for a moment they would have some Zero-G to play in.

But as the song reached it's chorus, Brenda simply couldn't help himself. Like the rumble of a mountain peak falling into a freshly revealed caldera, he began to sing. Nevermind the fact it was louder than he'd like, and nevermind the fact someone would hear - they always heard.

He knew at least one person referred to him as the Ferryman as a joke - that he'd sing his way across the river Styx - but it was true. He did enjoy his music.

"And I'll haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang around, as long as you will let me,
    And I never minded standing in the raiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin.
    But you don't have to call me darlin', darLIN',
    You never even called me by my name
    ."

It was a long way to his bunk, too. Midnight tunes with Brenda.

18. Irkalla Kasai

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Surprised greens blinked at the darkness of her room as Juarez’s voice filtered into the empty air again.

Kasai twisted on the bed to reach her communicator, but the line went dead again. She sneered. “Fuckin’ unbelievable.”

The Commander rose to her feet. Straightened out her slacks, bound her hair. Glanced at the clock – motherfucker. Two hundred hours already. The hell was Juarez thinking?

But no matter. There was a knock on her door, and no time left to deliberate. Sharp features hardened, jaw set in stone. She was not getting drunk with a subordinate who’d kissed her at the end of an illegal boxing match… however absurd it sounded put together.

What a fucking mess.

“Sergeant,” Kasai greeted as the door hissed open. Her face was as welcoming as going on a spacewalk without a suit.

In the far distance, Brenda’s broken voice echoed down the corridors. Irkalla was so used to the sound that she simply ignored it.

#38 Irkalla Kasai, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  19. Aurelia Juarez

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Now, I know you might be thinkin' I'm a little lost," Juarez began as she leaned up against the door. "I'm not because I figure by the way things are I'll never see your face again."

And in retrospect, she'd do it all over. "So I got to figurein' if I'm bein' drummed off for fraternization. Might as well, make a go of it rather than having pity club party of one in my bunk." She handed Kasai the two shot glasses as she opened up the bottle of shine. "I know it's late and we got shit to be gettin' on in the mornin'."

The open bottle of shine danced in her hand, swished and swashed within the glass.

The tip connected with one of the two shot glasses. "I won't be long, promise, Wildcat."

20. Irkalla Kasai

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Kasai worked her jaw, eyes as hard as jade as she stared down at the smaller woman. “You’re not being drummed off for fraternization,” the Commander replied after a beat. She didn’t move from the door either, though. Not yet.

“I’m recommending you to Lieutenant Akane of the Strident. They do a good job, just short on a good right hook these days. I figured yours would do fine.”

Her green gaze dropped to the alcohol then – unmarked bottle, stained glasses… definitely backroom swill. Her brow crinkled.

“I’d rather not add a hangover to bruises and lack of sleep, Sergeant. And I’d appreciate it if you refrained from that… nickname.” Her scowl deepened.

“Why are you here, Juarez? Really?”

@Aurelia Juarez