BELT Trapped In Amber

Discussion in 'Open Roleplay' started by Brandon Keener, Apr 18, 2019.

1. William Buttersworth

William Buttersworth Director of PS&E, Captain of the Revenge

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Bill sighed. "No..you're a human being. That much is obvious, but your armour is next generation. Having studied it quite extensively while you were unconscious I can see why Ganymede is now crawling with UN teams trying to find you...rest assured I've covered your tracks. You're quite safe from them here." He intentionally didn't address the mans challenge, eyeing the spiderweb of cracks spreading from where the mans fist had impacted the glass.

"I'm going in," he said, to the chief engineer standing near him. "Sir are you...are you sure that's a wise idea?"

"No it's a fucking stupid idea but if this man wants to see him not about to cut him up into pieces and sell him to the highest bidder...well, I have to treat him like a man...like an equal. No better way to show that than by having a scrap."

"Wait Sir...you're going to fight? Him?!"

Bill laughed, the faint light inside his pupils glowing a little brighter than usual. "Brain augments weren't the only thing the Core gave me. My bones are coated in ceramic..." He shed his coat, letting it fall to the ground revealing a singlet underneath. His arms flexed, black lines like tattoos traced down and around his muscles...and began to glow faintly.

"My muscles have been lined with reinforced fibres..." He pulled off the singlet, revealing more black lines spreading across his chest and abdomen. Pinpricks of light began to trace along them, "my mind as you know, it enhanced by the core giving me improved reflexes...and even control over objects around me..." As he spread has arms, robotic arms, drones and other automated machinery in the workspace reacted, articulating, rotating, extending and retracting.

"At the very least...I will hopefully not die. The man is a fucking mountain after all. If you see him going for the kill you have my permission to gas the room and knock him out." He made his way over to the entrance to the vault, a large circular airlock door and without a hint of effort, pulled it open.

"Understood, Sir....Uh...good luck Sir..."

"I'm going to need it..." He said, pulling the airlock shut behind him and cycling it, "but with an asset like him on our side...Think of the possibilities..."

The airlock cycled and the inner door swung inwards. The big man turned from the glass and faced him, an imposing fortress of a being covered in scuffed armour. Seeing Bill, bare chested and proud the hint of a smile passed across his lips before his expression returned to that of smouldering neutrality. Piece be piece he removed his armour once again, letting the pieces fall to the deck and leaving them where they landed. The last piece, his chest place, thudded to the deck with a clang.

"Well...I figured this was the best way to prove to you what I am. I want to best for you...for us. Just try not to kill m-" Bill's sentence was cut short as what felt like a freight train smashed into his face. The big man had covered the ground between them in a microsecond was pulling his fist back for another attack. Bill dodged to the side, as the mans fist slammed into the metal wall with a clang. Grunting, Bill ducked and rolled, taking the mans legs out from underneath him and bringing the mountain down.

With a quick motion Bill was on one knee, and launched himself shoulder first into Archangel. His shoulder connected with the man's ribs and was rewarded with the sound of the air being knocked explosively from the man's lungs. He lashed out with his own fists, landing hits to the ribs, the gut and even one to the mans jaw. But Archangel recovered quickly...rolling over and grappling Bill in a vice grip. He lifted him up, over his head and threw Bill against the far wall.

Bills vision exploded in stars as the world swam around him. Through his blurred vision he could see the man stalking across the room towards him, and unsteadily got to his feet whilst using the wall to brace himself. "Okay...lets do this..." he said, engaging the man for a second time.

Brandon Keener likes this.
  2. Brandon Keener

Brandon Keener Caipora Captain

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Brandon was surprised by the mans foolish attempt to gain his respect, but if he wanted to be crippled then that was what he was gonna give him.

After their first exchange it was clear to him that the mans augmentations were of fine quality, but he had nothing on him. His mind and body had been crafted to be the perfect warmachine, a human could never hope to compete with him.

While the man attempted to get back on his feet he kept studying him, watching the movement of his muscles and the way he moved. Then Brandon charged. Upon impact, Brandon wrapped his arms around the mans legs and tackled him against the wall, back first. The tackle was followed by a series of quick punches and kicks, until his opponent finally managed to get his arms up to defend himself and drove Brandon back. Now that the first few moments were over and both men were on relatively even ground it would be hard for either of them to get the upper hand.

So instead of trying to beat his enemy with blunt force, Brandon waited. For a few seconds Brandon went on the defensive, until he was just one step away from the wall. While his opponent was just going in for another punch Brandon ducked underneath his punch. Now standing behind his opponent Brandon took a step back and went for a kick straight in the back. As his foot connected with the mans bare back he was sent flying and smashed right into the wall.

Brandon didn't follow up on the attack, he doubted the man would be able to recover from the last kick.

3. William Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Pain erupted from Bill's back, along with a crunching sound which to him was worse. Pins and needles spread through his lower body, everywhere below where the kick had connected and with that a loss of some motor control. His legs gave out from underneath him, and he crumpled to the deck.

His ocular implant informed him, as the rest of his vision swam, that he had suffered a significant fracture to three vertebrae and a 65% change of spinal cord injury. He lay there for a moment, the big man standing a metre away staring down at him impassively. Bill coughed, the pain making motion difficult, and pushed himself up into a seated position. String down at his legs and feet he took a deep breath and tried to wiggle his toes. They responded, with a fresh explosion of pins and needles, but moving nonetheless.

Gripping the nearby gurney, he pulled himself back up onto his feet and after a moment of steadying himself, turned to face the big man once again. "I don't want to sell you out Archangel," he wiped his nose, coming away with blood. "I think we have a common enemy in the UNN. I could set you up with a safe place to stay. Hell even a ship, all I ask if that you join my service. Just for a year to see how you like it, and after that you're either free to go or stay."

He raised his fists again, expecting another bout. But in his mind he really hoped the big man was done.

Her Manus likes this.
  4. Brandon Keener

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Brandon could've easily crushed the mans skull like one of the melons he'd once stolen as kid. It was one of the few memories that sometimes returned to him from his time before the training. He remembered the cracking sound as a melon fell off a delivery truck, the sweet taste of the red meat and the intoxicating scent that seemed so divine after days of hunger. He was found of this one memory.

"And do what for you? Fight? That's all anyone ever wants me to do, all I ever knew how to do. Why can't you just leave me alone? I don't want to fight the UNN anymore than I wanna fight you." Truth was, he was tired, tired of fighting, tired of being pushed around, unable to do anything about it and not knowing what else to do.

"It's always just about what everyone else wants me to do! That ends now! I left the UN not just to join the next who wants me."

William Buttersworth likes this.
  5. William Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Bill blinked through slightly burred vision, and corrected his balance slightly. The big man was designed to be a weapon, but it sounded like he wanted nothing more than to settle down in the countryside. Bill hoped he could find a common ground, if not sending this man after his enemies then at least having a near unbeatable soldier nearby does have its uses. "Archangel...I don't want to use you, at least not as a killer. You're obviously very good at what you do...from my perspective the less people like you the UN have, the better."

The big man stood nearby. Too near for Bill's liking. He had proven he could cover even large distances in super human speed, and in their current situation he could probably kill Bill where he stood. At least until they gassed the room. "I'm not going to send you into battle. At least until you find a worthy cause. But I can offer you a safe place, a home, a job even. I have a security force, but they're unruly, undisciplined. They would benefit from a man like you teaching them."

Her Manus likes this.
  6. Brandon Keener

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "I don't care about the UN."

Brandon wasn't sure he really knew what he cared about. The UN had given him a purpose, but they had also failed to handle him carefully. They had thought they could do what they wanted, which proved to be a fatal assumption.
    And now he was without guidance, finally free to do what he wanted, but not knowing what it was.

"You didn't listen did you?! I don't want to join the next best who wants me! That includes you, and you will let me go now!"

He took a step forward and picked up a piece of his armor.

7. William Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Bill sighed, letting his fists drop to his sides. “I can’t let you back out into the station, Archangel. You’re too much of a threat without me getting assurances from you. Assurances like you not going apeshit out there and destroying my city, assurances that you won’t suddenly turn out to be a spy and start murdering my staff and citizens.”

He walked over to the airlock, which swung open with a groan. “You can take a job, training my people, earning some cash, live some semblance or a normal life here. You’ll be left alone, but I have to know you’re not a risk,” he stepped into the airlock.

“Otherwise, you’re on the next transport off my station, and that’s that.” He stood there, still breathing a little heavily.

Her Manus likes this.
  8. Brandon Keener

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Brandon stood still, not moving for a few seconds. Then he turned around and began putting his armor back on.

9. William Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    William stood by the airlock for several more moments, watching in silence as the big man gradually put his armour back on. He sighed again, and stepped through the circular doorway. "I'll leave you be for the time being, but I expect an answer with the next 48 hours. Either live a meaningful life on your own terms, or end up back where we found you."

The airlock sealed with a thunk and as soon as he was not visible to the big man, Bill slumped over on the bulkhead, his breathing heavy. The outer airlock door swung open and several medics rushed in. "Sir, you have several fractures and internal bleeding, you need to be treated asap." Bill just nodded, solemnly as he was helped onto a gurney and wheeled off towards the medical centre. "Your augmentations have stopped any serious long term injuries, but your spinal cord looks like it has been partially damaged. I'm surprised you can still walk," a doctor said, walking along side him, tapping as a terminal. "I'm not even sure what you were trying to achieve in there," he said, a concerned look on his face.

"I thought I could get through to him on a similar level, man to man. Turns out he just saw me as another thing to pulverize..." He sighed again, wincing as a jolt of pain shot up his spine. "I hope he see's the light."

Her Manus likes this.
  10. Brandon Keener

Character Biography:
    Bio
    After the man had left the room, Brandon stood still as a rock, even the subtle movements of his breath were barely visible.

Suddenly he looked up at the ceiling and spoke. "Put me back out there. I hold no grudge against you, but I won't be pushed from assignment to assignment for another second. Set me free and I promise not to harm you."

11. William Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    30 minutes later

Bill steadily made his way across the observation deck towards the panoramic window which separated him from Archangel. Even though the doctors at the medical centre had advised him to stay and recover from his recent...interaction with the big man, something nagged at Bill. He needed to resolve this situation. He needed something to show for his bruises, at least more than the memories of fighting and losing to an augmented super soldier.

The man...Archangel, stood facing the window, showing no emotion. His helmet lay on the control panel next to Bill. He was almost tempted to throw it into the vault and his the emergency eject. The vault would be catapulted at the speed of a railgun round, through the depths of the station and out into the void. But he didn't believe the man deserved to die, he was just another person caught up in the game weaved by the inner planets.

"Archangel...you must have a real name...right? I can keep calling you Archangel but I feel like it is impersonal..." He looked down for a moment, breaking eye contact with the man who stared, without blinking, at the top of Bill's head. "I'll start...My name is William Buttersworth. I was born right here on this station, just a few habitats over, where there is a maternity ward. Every day more babies...more citizens of this station are born. They grow into kids...we educate and feed them, their parents work the docks, the shipyards, the schools and hospitals. We try and provide a stable and safe life for them, and it is my responsibility to look after them. This is why I can't just unlock that door," He said, motioning towards the massive airlock.

"I feel I owe you an apology. From the moment you arrived I have wanted you to do things for me. Fight for me, fight me, work for me, train my men. I get the feeling you're done working for other men, at least on their terms. So...Archangel, if you care to, start with your name...your real name...and then tell me what it is you want. What kind of life do you want to live? Why come to my station to begin with?"

Her Manus likes this.
  12. Brandon Keener

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The man was making Brandon uncomfortable, the constant talking drove him mad, but he had no way out of this cell so he couldn't escape.

Instead he tried to avoid vocal interaction.

"Brandon-018" that was the only real name Brandon remembered, once he'd had a different one, but it was blurred. Somehow there but somehow not.

To get rid of the dreaded feeling that he was at the mercy of this human, William, Brandon began walking around his cell.

He didn't care what William had to say, at least not past the opportunity to get out. It would've been easy to just accept his offer and then run away, but the wild animal residing in his guts fought against submission as if it meant death.

13. William Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    William nodded, a small smile forming on his lips. "Brandon-018. Good." He watched as the man began to pace around the vault, the monitors surrounding the window informing him of a spike in blood pressure and heart rate and a slight ride in cortisol levels. The big man was getting stressed.

"Brandon, if I unlock this door, what will you do?"

Her Manus likes this.
  14. Brandon Keener

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Brandon thought about attempting a breakout, but this prison seemed to be able to withstand even concentrated attacks. He was hopelessly locked inside and it was slowly driving him insane.

"Take back my stuff"

15. William Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Bill was getting irritated. It was like trying to talk to a child. A child which could murder hundreds of people if they chucked a tantrum. "Let's make this earlier, Brandon." He pressed a few buttons and out of a compartment on the vault wall, his helmet, weapon and remaining equipment slid out on a tray. The weapon had no ammunition, but at least the big child had everything he was fixated on now. "Now that you have your stuff, if I open this door...what...will you do next? And no one word or short answers. I need more information."

16. Brandon Keener

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Brandon hastily grabbed his helmet and gear and retreated back into the center of the room.

"I'll leave your fucking station, and I won't come back! Now let me go!"

Although he was getting more and more enraged his breath became calmer and calmer.

17. William Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    His hand hovered over a large plastic case that covered a circular red button. In case of containment breach or emergency, this button would catapult the vault out from the station where it would be destroyed by the stations complex defense systems. However, in this case he would arrange to have the vault met with a tug and the frustrating man towed to the next nearest station. He hoped it wouldn't come to that, but he could not risk the man being set loose again. "Fine, Brandon, if you wish to leave I can help you on your way. I'm curious though, why even come here to begin with? You obviously wanted something here."

Brandon Keener likes this.
  18. Brandon Keener

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "I did not! I just went to the next best place, now let me go!"

Brandon was feeling trapped, being pushed more and more by that weak human hiding behind the glass he couldn't breach.

19. William Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    William sighed just a little more. he was doing that a lot recently. The person in the vault had obviously no interest in dialogue, or at least no concept as to why the authorities of the station would allow someone like him to be allowed to simply walk the halls unhindered. He reached for the eject button, but one of the engineers nearby cleared his throat. "You have something to say professor?" Bill said, looking sideways at the lanky man in his white lab coat. He deactivated the microphone before the man could speak, so at least Bradon could not hear them.

"Sir whilst I do agree that this perosn should not be allowed out into the public areas of the station, perhaps it is unwise to simply release him back into the wild. Should be find his way back to the UN he would have intelligence about us, our station...the vault..." He motioned at the massive construct around them, designed no to contain a super solider but something far more dangerous and far more alien. "On top of that...we also need to free up the vault for its uh...original purpose. Even if we rushed construction it would take at least a month to construct a new one if this one were ejected...and if the Core's estimates are correct...Commander Lei is due back here within the next shift cycle with the protomolecule sample she recovered from Io."

William relaxed somewhat, moving his hand away form the eject button and its clear plastic casing. "You want me to keep him here to use as a pawn? You saw how he responds to being used for others desires, the moment we open the door he's probably going to try rip my head off."

"Not exactly Sir, I think perhaps the wisest course of action would be to simply transfer the vault to one of our secure storage warehouses. Even if he managed to breach the walls to one he's have hundreds of metres of hard vacuum to cross before he could reach the station, or any citizens. But more importantly, we don't give him a reason to escape."

Williams eyebrow slowly climbed up his forehead. "Go on..."

"Well, we transfer him to another holding facility, but far more comfortable. Food, drink, entertainment, books, music, a gym...whatever he wants or needs. Just keep him there for the indefinite future. If he does prove to be a threat then sure,throw him out the back door, but if he is not backed into a corner like he is now...he is far less inclined to lash out...plus we need the vault back."

"Make the preparations." Bill said, before turning back to the viewport. The man stood there still, impassively, glaring back. With the press of a button the glass turned opaque, and a steel shutter slammed down sealing the vault from the outside world.

---

120 minutes later

The vault was clasped tenderly between two manipulator claws of a medium sized shipyard tug. Usually tasked with moving and installing girders, support beams and fragile machinery into the starships of the shipyard, the tug now moved the pellet shaped bulk of the vault along the inner tunnels of the station towards one of its vast storage facilities. After almost an hour of zero gravity, the vault's airlock was attached to a slowly rotating storage ring, providing enough gravity to simulate Earth's 1.0g. The ring was originally designed for growing plants and animals that required earthlike forces to thrive, but in this case it had been emptied, it's contents moved elsewhere.

Then the airlock to the vault opened, Brandon would see a spacious area, almost the size of a soccer field, Various areas would have gym equipment, a vast entertainment screen, a bed, clothing, books, food and all manner of things to keep someone entertained alone for the indefinite future. The moment the big man stepped out of the vault, the airlock slammed shut. The vault was returned to its original location and purged of any contaminants, ready for its next occupant.

On a table in the centre of a room glowed a terminal with a message from William.

Maybe we can find a middle ground.
    -William

#39 William Buttersworth, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2019
    Her Manus likes this.
  20. Brandon Keener

Character Biography:
    Bio
    When Brandon noticed that the vault was moved he hoped it would mean they let him out.

As it opened into a spacious area, all he saw was another prison and he didn't want that.

His heart rate slowly began to increase as he asessed his new prison. He examined every corner of his new domain. Some of the things he saw were entirely foreign to him and he didn't understand their purpose. There were things he knew, like gym equipment, a bed which was needlessly soft and cozy, an overly complex amount of different clothing, a shelf full of things he managed to identify as books, he had read books before but never were they physical and these were about stuff that didn't really seem all that useful to him and finally one thing that confused him the most, there was a giant screen that he recognized as a tactical display, but when he turned it on it was nothing like the displays he knew and it seemed to serve some sort of entertainment purpose.

After having looked through every room Brandon smashed every camera or and light source he could find. Then he hid inside the dark rooms and waited, someone would come.

His breathing was now absolutely calm, his vital signs getting down to the bare minium.

William Buttersworth likes this.