BELT The Other Face

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Alric, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Nickolas Alden

"Yeah." He told her as he began to pull plastic sheeting off furniture and pieces of technology. It was obvious that most of the place was outdated to say the least, something that had been forgotten. "Alric bought it from them about five years ago."

He did that often. "When they moved to new headquarters on the station."

Nickolas continued to explain, removing one last bit of plastic sheeting and switching on a series of computer consoles. The screen flashed and hazed for a moment, then sprang to true life. He glanced over his shoulder for a moment and then turned around.

"I can almost guarantee they've forgotten about it." He glanced around the room. "Inners always do."

They were wasteful to say the least.

Chloe Emerson likes this.
  2. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "They forget about everything, unless it involves money." She added.

While Chloe didn't harbor the same seething hatred for the inners as Nickolas, or even Alric, she could understand where it was coming from. These men had seen so much abuse and had made the decision that they wouldn't stand for it any longer. It was admirable in its own way. She didn't think that it would work, but she could at least appreciate the sentiment.

She moved over to one of the computers after it had booted up and leaned over the keyboard. The braided locks that hadn't been forcefully shaved off, fell over her shoulder and the beads clinked softly together from the movement. It was tempting to send a message to Hawk, to let him know that she had returned safely to Io, that he should start investigating those who worked in the docks... but she didn't. Something stayed her hand from writing up the message.

Instead, she pulled up the mission brief and crew manifest for Sparrow's crew. She didn't bother to take a seat at the computer, she already knew all the information that would be there, but it helped to have the faces to look at while she tried to think.

Not even Alric had known about this shipment.

So how did a group catch wind of where Alric and Sparrow would be?

"Have you ever done a job like this before, Nick?" She asked him quietly, casting a glance in his direction.

3. Nickolas Alden

"Job like what?" Nickolas asked simply, his tone of voice remaining almost completely neutral. "I'm rather unclear of what I'm expected to do."

Alric had been rather scant with that information.

He had been told to help Chloe in whatever she needed, and for someone like him that meant...well a whole host of unpleasantness. His role within Prometheus had always been a harsh one. Most often he dealt with traitors inside of the organization, and sometimes he was even responsible for weeding out the inners that had attempted to infiltrate them.

It was a set of tasks that made him rather...distrusted even among his fellow Belters, though he'd never minded that much.

By his very nature Nickolas was a violent young man, and his methods were often looked down upon even by other extremists like Black Sky. "Alric just told me to do whatever was necessary."

Which he always did.

Surraya Valentine likes this.
  4. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Chloe frowned slightly at the response she was given and turned her gaze back to the computer.

She was glad to see that Alric had followed her request and hadn't told anyone specifically about what she was doing on Io. While she knew that she could trust him, it was something of a relief to see evidence that her faith was not misplaced.

"Heh... I'm glad that he sent you, then. I may need your help catching a traitor." She decided to be honest with Nickolas. Alric would have scolded her for taking that risk, she imagined, but she wouldn't get any where by being overly paranoid. There would always be people who would turn on you, but she still needed to be able to count on those around her.

Nickolas Alden likes this.
  5. Nickolas Alden

The usual then.

"Who?" That was the only question that he needed to ask. There would be no 'why', Nickolas didn't care. Alric had made it clear that he trusted Chloe, and if Alric trusted her than so did his Enforcer. Nickolas didn't particularly care what the traitor had done or who they were, just that they had to die.

It was really that easy for him.

The trait was almost sociopathic, broken, but in truth it was just simple loyalty. Alric had never steered him wrong, he had always been honest, and most importantly he had always support Nickolas when he'd required it. That was all that the young man needed, and as far as he was concerned it was all that mattered.

Violet likes this.
  6. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "That's the question of the day." She murmured quietly, scrolling through the dossiers of the small crew once more. Perhaps one of them had made a mistake and told the wrong person about the trip? The Earther, Diarmuid, was her natural suspect, but he had reached out to her after the attack. Which didn't make sense. Why would he contact her if he had done it and was trying to cover his ass? Before he'd sent the message, she had thought he was dead like the rest of the crew. He may not have had something to do with the attack itself, but he certainly had information on what happened. Intel that she was sorely missing.

A lump lodged itself in her throat as she stared at the evidence in front of her, turning it over in her head in a detached, impassive fashion. She had avoided doing so before, because the facts were too difficult to come to terms with at the time. With her boots back on the ground, she was able to think more clearly.

Emotions were fickle things that could blind even the most wary of people. As often as she told Alric to not let his passionate hatred control him and his decisions, she had allowed her own emotional ties blind her to the truth. Only three people in the system had known both where Chloe and Alric were, along with where Sparrow was going.

She took a heavy sigh and dropped her head, bracing her hands against the console in front of her. One leg shifted its position on the floor so that it was extended slightly behind her, and the other bent slightly at the knee.

"Nakangepensa." She muttered under her breath, shaking her head.

Two out of the three people were easy to rule out: Sparrow and herself.

Now, she understood why she had been hesitant to send a message to Hawk in the first place.

Alric is better suited to this line of work than I am. She thought bitterly, turning to face Nickolas with her arms crossed casually over her chest.

"I think I know who the rat is... but I need to see just how deep the rot goes, and who he's working for. I know you're good with violence, Nickolas, but can you be discreet? If I snag him, I don't want the rest of the vermin to scatter to the winds."

7. Nickolas Alden

He stared at her for a moment. "I can be discreet if I need to be."

True enough he was typecast as the violence guy, but that didn't mean he was a complete idiot when it came to these sort of things. He knew his way around Io better than most, and hunting down traitors was what he did. Part of that was not being seen, another part was acting like a friend even when you were about to stab someone right in the back.

This was what he did, and he did it well.

"What's his name?" He asked simply. "What does he do?"

They were key points, and if he was going to do what Alric wanted him to do then he would need more information. Protecting Chloe was his number one point in being here, and if she somehow managed to get hurt during all of this...well he'd let down the one man who had always protected him.

Nickolas wouldn't let that happen.

Whoever Chloe was talking about would have to be nabbed quietly, especially if his network ran deep into Chloe's people. Not to mention there would need to be...questions.

8. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio
    She plucked her hand terminal out of her pocket and powered it on, pulling up the file she kept on Hawk. Even this small act felt like a betrayal on her part, but she knew that this was something that needed to be done. With a flick of her wrist, she tight-beamed him the file.

"His name is Christian Lucero, but he goes by Hawk. He's my one of my lieutenants and is in charge of the smuggling branch of Icarus." She answered the questions calmly and pragmatically.

"He had to have reported the information to someone, and I want to find out who that was."
    She added a moment later, slipping the hand terminal back into her pocket.

9. Nickolas Alden

Nikcolas glanced at the photograph of the agent first, his eyes cold, measuring. Lips thinned for a few seconds, and then he looked over at Chloe.

The question was one of...not price, but weight. The task at hand was not an easy one, and what he would have to do...what they would have to do was not at all a pleasant task. It would weigh heavily on anyone's soul, but someone who was used to healing? Someone who only wanted to do good...could Chloe handle it?

It was a question that floated through Nick's mind. "Does he have a girlfriend? Boyfriend?"

Nick didn't particularly care which.

"Favorite bar?" It was all information that he needed to know, things that he could use against the man in order to capture him.

"The more we know the easier it is to grab him." He said simply. "And the more leverage we have..."

Nickolas trailed off, not feeling the need to finish his sentence.

Violet likes this.
  10. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Chloe grimaced internally and turned to the side, pacing through the small room. No, there was no need to finish the sentence, she understood the implication all too well. It had been her own weakness that had put her in this situation in the first place, however. She would need to face the consequences of her actions... or lack there of.

A hand passed over the stubble covered side of her head, the raised flesh of the scar pressing against her fingertips. It served as a prudent reminder of just what she was dealing with. This man had intended to put an end to her, and he had done the same to her daughter. Anguish was difficult to ease, but the rage she felt seething in her gut was a decent enough replacement.

"Yes. I know all his usual haunts. We'll want to pay a visit to The High Life. It's one of his favorites, and a girl he is sweet on works the bar." She responded, returning her thoughts to the matter at hand. "I don't want her injured, however, am I clear?" She added, after a moment. "Unless she's something to do with all this."

#530 Chloe Emerson, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  11. Nickolas Alden

He frowned for a moment.

The correction she gave immediately was a good one, Nick's mind that immediately wandered to how they could use the girl as bait. Taking her and sending him a vid of her half beaten would have been an effective lure. No matter what this man did, there was an almost intrinsic necessity to protect those you loved for most men.

It was a primitive instinct. [color=#cd853]"Alright."[/color]

The word came practically forced. It was clear that he didn't like the thought of making this harder on themselves. Still, he had been told to follow her orders and he would.

[color=#cd853]"We can do it without her."[/color] Unless they found out she was involved. [color=#cd853]"If he's like most men he'll be staying at her place."[/color]

A small hide away. [color=#cd853]"At least visiting every now and again."[/color]

Nick turned away from Chloe for a moment, walking over to a small crate in the corner and opening the lid. From it he pulled out a small pistol, checking the magazine before sliding the gun into the back of his pants.

12. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Chloe knew full well that her insistence on not harming Hawk's flame had spurned Nick, but she was not about to stoop to the traitor's level to bring him to justice. If she sacrificed her own ideals in order to achieve her goals, she'd be no better than those that had tried to kill her or Sparrow. They would pay for what they had done, but she wouldn't destroy herself in the process. The entire reason she had founded Icarus in the first place was with the sole intent of giving aid to the Belt. She wasn't about to start torturing Belters to get what she wanted.

There was a pause and she looked at the back of Nick's head. Had Alric gone to such measures?

She frowned, shaking her head.

As badly as she wanted to cut straight to the matter at hand, to take care of this herself, she knew that venturing through the station would only raise suspicion. She would have to lay low and rely on Nick for the time being. A fact that frayed her nerves.

"I'll look into her and see what I can find. Perhaps she has connections with the group that started this entire mess. If so, that'll make our entire job easier." She murmured, turning back to the computer to get to work. Already, she found herself wishing that she had Sparrow on hand, the girl was an absolute wizard with technology.

13. Nickolas Alden

Nick nodded.

There wasn't really much else to say on the topic. Things were getting serious now, and although he hated holding back even a little bit he was going to follow his orders no matter what. He'd learned pretty early on that things fell apart when orders weren't followed. Even one man going rogue could bring down an entire organization.

Though then again so could a loose end.

He frowned for a brief second as the thought flashed through his mind, though he said nothing to Chloe. Instead he closed the crate and turned back towards her, his eyes wandering towards the screen. "We can search her place."

Nickolas suggested quietly.

"People have flaws." He pointed out. "They forget things, leave them out. Might be easier to find something."

Of course, it might also be easier to find their target at the same time.

14. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio
    She glanced back over her shoulder to Nick as he spoke, then returned her attention to the softly glowing screen. "Just a moment, I want to make sure I have the right hole for her." She muttered under her breath, sending the copied information over to her hand terminal which chimed softly a moment later after the data transfer had finished. Once she was finished, she wiped the information from the machine and powered it down, turning back to face Nick.

For a moment, she considered asking if there was a hooded jacket in their small hideout. It would have been useful for hiding her face, but she decided against it. Io was her home and she'd be damned if she'd scurry about like a rat. Instead, she pulled her hand terminal from her pocket and sent out a quick message to Alric, explaining to Nick what she was doing while she typed.

"Going to have Alric put a lock down on all Icarus ships that are already in port, and see what he can do about preventing Hawk from bolting. If any of my people pay the extra price to get off station, it'll be easy enough to figure out who they are and where they're headed." Finished with the small task, she tucked the device away once more. "As for the girl, Inares, she lives in a decent enough area. Especially given that she's a bartender in a belter bar. Want to hit there first then?"

15. Nickolas Alden

He glanced down at the crate in front of him, nodding and quietly adding. "Yeah."

Nick hated traitors.

There were few kinds of people that he disdained more than the Inners, but Belters that sold out their own people? They deserved a special kind of treatment. His lips thinned and his hands shook slightly, rage building up inside of him as he thought about the betrayal that had already occurred. A breath filled his lungs, and slowly he released it.

He had once been told by Alric that he needed to control his anger better, a statement coming from that man that...well was more than a little ironic. He frowned for a brief second, glancing up at Chloe and turning towards the door.

"Let me make the approach." He told her. "You've never met her, but if this guy is at all smart she'll know exactly what you look like."

It was what he would do, tell his girlfriend exactly what she needed to look out for.

Luckily Nick was a bit of a ghost, even to other members of Prometheus.

16. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Chloe took a deep breath and forced herself to slowly exhale through her nose.

Nick was right, of course.

Alric had sent him along to help and she needed to put her trust in the man. He was good at his job, and Alric would never have sent someone that wasn't trustworthy or capable. Her gaze swept over Nick's features and she nodded once.

"Unfortunately, I'm sure that she does. Hawk is not an idiot. I imagine he only made such a bold move because he was convinced that the outcome was assured." She murmured, shaking her head and the gesture caused the small beads in her hair to clink softly together. "It's probably best if we're not seen together. Wouldn't want them to catch on that we're working together. I'll forward you the information to her apartment." There was a pause as she considered something, frowning. "In fact... it may be a better idea to let you do this part alone."

17. Nickolas Alden

Alone.

Good, that was how he worked best anyway. Usually Alric would give him a task and Nick would disappear for a few weeks at a time. Sometimes he would stay on Io and sometimes he would leave. It didn't really matter where he went or what he did, for him it was just about getting the job done.

"I'll watch her for a bit." He told Chloe. "See what she does and go through her apartment."

A frown touched his lips.

His usual manner wouldn't work here...not with the restrictions that Chloe had put in place on him. His head shook for a brief second and he adjusted the hat on his head. "If I find anything...telling I'll grab her, otherwise I'll just wait for Hawk."

He thought it was a good compromise. It was in keeping with her principals, but if the girl was involved in any of this Chloe had said that it would change everything.

Sparrow likes this.
  18. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio

[​IMG]
    If there was something that Chloe despised, it was feeling utterly useless. For most of her life, the belter had found a way to keep herself busy. There had always been a cause, a reason, a purpose, that kept her moving and she had always been the one to do it. Now, she was stuck in a small, abandoned room with nothing to do but keep watch over the man that had been entrusted to carry out what needed to be done. Her fingers drummed irritably, impatiently, on the console in front of her as she stared intently at the displays.

She sighed heavily and glanced down to her hand terminal, flipping through the still empty inbox. There still was no information about the whereabouts of Sparrow, and neither Antumbralite nor Diarmuid had given her an update on the situation. Yet again, it was another situation in which she was powerless to directly act.

Her attention returned to the displays, sweeping over the different camera feeds that she had pulled up to make sure that Nick did not come across any unnecessary trouble. When he arrived at the residence of the girl, Inares, she'd been reduced to only a handful of cameras that she could access.

[​IMG]
    Inares' apartment complex was a well kept space that even had a row of blossoming cherry trees that ran down the length of the main lobby. The floors were a well made imitation of marble that seemed to gleam in the soft lighting. All of the furniture looked to be made of wood that had been stained to a rich, dark brown. An observant visitor would be able to pick up on the lack of imperfections on the surface, or that the swirl pattern often repeated -- which gave it away as an imitation as well. It was a flagrant display of wealth in the belt, but not so much as to be made from real natural grown resources. Decadent would have been a good word to describe the place. People who thought they were above a Belter hole, but couldn't afford the real luxuries of Earth.

According to the information that Chloe had passed to Nick, the apartment of the girlfriend-in-question was on the fourth floor.

While the halls of the building were not as elegant as the lobby, they were intentionally minimalist. Classical music played daintily wherever Nick went. The walls had obviously been reinforced with some sort of material to muffle noise in between rooms, every sound seemed to have a muffled quality to it. Aside from the unnecessary music, of course.

19. Nickolas Alden

Nikolas didn't exactly fit into a place like this, not at all actually. He was a belter, and a rough one at that. He hadn't even known the true meaning of wealth until Alric had plucked him from the gutters of Io. It was his natural inclination to distrust people that lived like this. He didn't hate them, but he resented them beyond what he could ever express into words.

He knew that they weren't all bad, after all Alric himself was one of these people, yet for some reason that cognitive dissonance just didn't settle in. He saw most Belters who lived here as traitors, and the inners? Well they weren't any better were they?

Still, he managed to fit in easily enough.

Not as one of them of course, the rough faced young man would never be able to blend in with the folk that lived here. As a delivery boy, a messenger, or a maintenance man though...that was easy enough. Keeping his head down and moving quickly Nickolas slipped through the side door of the apartments, heading up the stairs and always ducking away from anyone he passed by.

He showed deference, almost servitude.

It wasn't hard to do. Nick knew how to swallow his pride.

Not much time passed before he stood at the door of the girls apartment, his knuckles rapping against the door loud enough for anyone inside to hear.

Violet likes this.
  20. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Inares had been in the middle of getting ready for her shift at The High Life when the knock at her door came. She paused with a frown on her lips, which was reflected back at her in the mirror that she was seated in front of, having been putting on her makeup for the night. She wasn't expecting any visitors and Christian didn't usually come to see her at this time.

Still frowning, she looked to the screen in front of her that was currently acting as a mirror. "Show me who's at the door." She said quietly.

When the screen shifted, fading out of the mirror and into a video feed, the frown on her lips deepened. A Belter she didn't recognize was standing outside her door. Probably just had the wrong room or something.

She sighed and swung around, making her way over to the door. She stopped in front of it and spoke up. "Hello? Who's there?"