1. Wild Frontier

The Wild Frontier has opened. Stake your claim as we enter Chapter 5 and a new era for the Expanse RP!

Dismiss Notice

CERES The Depths

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Tadgh, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    His attention was drawn to the way her hair fell back over her face. It never wanted to stay where Lyla tried to put it. Didn't stop her from trying. He was glad she could smile now in spite it the day they'd had. It made him smile too. Or had it stretched to two days with all the time he was down and out? It didn't matter.

"Fairly sure I can walk," he said without much authority in his voice. A button beside his bed called over a nurse. Tadgh asked if it was possible to leave and she went to check with a doctor.

"Not sure what I'll wear out of here," he mused. "I'm guessing the shirt is either in a Star Helix evidence box or an incinerator." He looked down at the hospital issue sweat pants. "Hope we're not taking the tube back."

2. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "After everything that's happened, you're worried about having to go on public transport in some less than fashionable sweats?" She asked, amused incredulity in her voice as she tried to shake her head back and forth. The movement tweaked the injury and she winced slightly, decided that shaking her head wasn't worth the effort.

"I really hope that the captain isn't too upset..." She murmured, glancing down at the terminal in her hand and she idly tapped against the screen with her thumb. "Always kind of feels like I screw things up for him." She added a moment later, talking more to herself than to Tadgh. Perhaps she was so tired that she had simply said her thoughts aloud, instead of just keeping them to herself.

Tadgh and HSAR like this.
  3. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    "I can live with that. Better than a breeze up my arse in a hospital gown," he replied in amusement. That district had been another world for him. Tadgh wanted to get back on the ship and back to familiar territory. The thrum of an epstein drive reverberating through the bulkheads. A bleary eyes crew psyching themselves up for a shift over coffee in the galley.

He gave Lyla a curious glance as she tapped away. His first instinct was just to retreat back within himself. Just as with his professional life he was quite good at shirking social responsibilities too. Tadgh was always there for a casual chat or a session of complaining, but he had never been good at expressing himself or providing emotional support.

He had to remind himself that he was supposed to be a second officer. As well as that, after what they had been through together he could do more than just nod his head right now.

"He might be, but shouldn't be at us. Train crashed and then we go caught up in some kind of gang grudge match. You made a lot of good decisions to drag me out of there in one piece and I'll tell him so.

"My old captain would have ranted, but that's why I'm here now." It had taken years to get the motivation together to move on, but they didn't need to discuss that now. "Maguire has a better head on his shoulders than Argyle did."

Chloe Emerson likes this.
  4. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Exhausted, sore, and with her nerves completely shot, Lyla lacked the energy to either contradict Tadgh or agree with him. Her usual self-confidence had already taken a hit once Maguire had passed her over for the job, but it had now shifted into full blown self-doubt. Every decision she'd made over the past day or so, she wasn't sure just how long she had been awake now, had nearly gotten herself, and worse, a crew mate killed. Maybe she'd be better off just keeping her head down in the computers and sulking in the engine compartment from here on out.

The insidious thoughts wouldn't leave her sleep deprived mind be, and before long they had shifted to the fact that she had killed a man outright. There wasn't a way to pretty it up, or revive him. In that process, she'd dragged Tadgh into some sort of peril that she didn't even properly understand yet. This "job" for star helix, and whoever their fancy inya was, could only be bad news. There was no chance that Maguire wouldn't be livid about that.

Instead of voicing any of those concerns, Lyla just forced a smile and gave a small thumbs up. "He tries to be a good sort, yeah. Better than most." She murmured, wanting nothing more than to crawl into her bunk and forget about the world for a few days. After a moment of sitting with her eyes closed, she realized that Tadgh would likely need to get dressed before they could leave.

She awkwardly cleared her throat and stood up, swiping her stubborn hair out of her eyes. "I'll let you get changed. I'll be right outside if you need anything."

Tadgh and HSAR like this.
  5. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Tadgh wasn't entirely certain what he was going to get dressed into. It was only when a nurse slipped into his area in Lyla's wake and started to unhook the IV lines that he realised he wouldn't have been able to put a top on until it was off anyway.

He was aware enough to know he was missing something, but didn't know what. A concern lingered that he had said something to upset Lyla. He recalled how foolishly he had wanted to talk about the shooting at the wrong time. Perhaps, he thought to himself, she was just tired too. She probably wanted to go back to familiar ground and rest just as much as he did.

He didn't know. The truth was he didn't know her well enough to. Tadgh was used to drifting through jobs and never really getting to know those around him. He thought he quite liked her though and decided he could get to know her better.

"You're taking a ship?" the nurse asked. When he opened his mouth to respond she pulled the lines.

"Ouch. Yes I am, unless that was just to distract me."

"Wherever you go next get a scan and ensure everything is healing properly. Take it easy. Not even light lifting."

"Will do." That came naturally enough. After the nurse had gone he realised he'd neglected to ask about his clothes. Fortunately in the cupboard beside the bed he found a hospital tunic and his own boots. He was glad his boots were there. They weren't particularly costly but they were old enough to have been worn in perfectly. That took time when you were mostly in mag boots.

The curtain hissed as it was dragged back along the rail. Standing hurt a little, but not as much as pulling a top on had.

"We'd best grab the tab and go," he said the Lyla. It would have to go on his personal policy for now, but hopefully he could shift some onto the crew policy.

Lyla likes this.
  6. Steven Maguire

Steven Maguire Gotta keep flyin'.

Discord:
    HSAR
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Maguire pulled up outside the hospital in a gentle whirr of regenerative braking and gave a quick glance to the boxes of mechanical parts in the truck's open bed.

Parked up. You need me inside?

Tadgh and Lyla like this.
  7. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Lyla's terminal chimed with an alert just as Tadgh was approaching her after he'd gotten dressed. She smiled warmly and nodded her head towards the door. "Cap'n is waiting outside for us."

After they'd made their way down to the main floor, and both had set up the payments for their treatments, Lyla led Tadgh outside into the imitated sunlight of Ceres. Since she had opted not to take the regrowth gel, she'd been given a sling to stabilize her right arm so that she didn't agitate the healing wound.

She was so tired that it was beginning to get difficult for her to think straight. Her eyes had a hard time focusing on the surroundings, and she couldn't pick out the vehicle Maguire had road up in. Sighing quietly to herself, she tapped a quick message out. Not sure where you are. We're all settled up.

Tadgh likes this.
  8. Steven Maguire

Discord:
    HSAR
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Hold position. Coming to you.

Maguire hopped out of the truck. He couldn't see them either; sick and injured, everyone looked pretty much alike.

There might have been some kind of wise observation there, but he wasn't that kind of man. Instead he tapped his holster to check that the magnetic lock was on and hit the ground lightly.

He spotted Lyla's red hair a few moments later, standing just outside the doors with her hand terminal still out. Tadgh was not quite leaning on her.

"Jesus. Come on, I'm here with a truck. Let's get back to the ship."

Tadgh likes this.
  9. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Tadgh gave a thumbs up and awkwardly made his way into a seat when they reached the vehicle. There was near enough silence on the way back to the docks. He didn't want to talk or even arrange a time to sit down with the captain and report. Lyla had given him the impression she wasn't in the mood either.

The nature of the docks meant that each vessel was held with its main drive pointing out into the void. The spin then kept everyone feeling the pull towards the floors of each deck. With a small cargo ship they had heavy duty elevators running alongside the vessel. At least he wouldn't have to deal with a ladder in his current condition.

"I think I'm just going to get some sleep in my own room," he eventually said quietly. "Doctors said I just need an occasional scan." He wasn't certain it was appropriate to be somewhere where he couldn't be checked on, but he wanted to get back to his room. Wasn't even that lived in yet, but it was quiet.

10. Steven Maguire

Discord:
    HSAR
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Maguire gave Tadgh a long look, made a half-grimace with the corner of his mouth, and finally nodded. There would be time enough for questions later.

"Drop us a message if you need us. Red, you look like you need some rack time as well. Get some rest, I'll work things out for now."

That was that. The captain stepped aside and headed for the galley to grab a cup of coffee - it wouldn't get rid of the bags under his eyes, but there was always a chance it would get his brain moving again.