1. Wild Frontier

The Wild Frontier has opened. Stake your claim as we enter Chapter 5 and a new era for the Expanse RP!

Dismiss Notice

CERES Testing out the Wares

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Castilene Kramer, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Castilene Kramer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Hmm." Her answer came in more of a grunt then an actual word, though she was content to let the technician go. Hadn't seen much on the ship and for all anyone else knew, the word of a belter was worth about all of nothing when it came to witness testimony. Everything considered, Cas hadn't really done anything wrong either. Not by the tech's recollection, anyhow.

A furrowed brow formed as she eyed the navigation panel above the technicians head. The shine of blue was interrupted by flashes of red as the ring around the ship turned crimson. And started bleeping. "Aug, what the fuck is going on?"

"Uhhh..." He chose the comm device this time, nervously stuttering around the subject; he clearly wasn't well versed on the matter. Cas clicked on her grav boots, cooing with a sinking metallic pang as her heels tapped in. As she stood, she approached the monitor and paid the other passenger little mind. "Sensors are picking up a flag. We've been marked. Turn her around."

"But we're almost into port." He stated back, clearly over the situation. Cas wasn't having any of it. "I don't fucking care. Turn her around." Blue chips of ice detoured from the monitor down to the woman donning the face mask. "Was that planned? What, were the codes marked?"

The inertia shifted as the ship turned tail, exterior dorsal thrusters kicking on and spinning the vessel. Cas pressed against the metal wall to stabilize herself, gaze moving down the haul and towards the view-screen. Felt like they were a yo-yo at this point; she wouldn't make another return until she knew it would work out.

Renaya likes this.
  2. Renaya

"What?" Renaya struggled to maintain her balance, being thrown back and forth for a moment before shoving forward to see the screen for herself.

"That's impossible. They shouldn't be flagging this? I helped the ship out just this morning, the codes are clean," she insisted. But that wasn't the reason they were flagged and she knew it. The call for help was. After all, it didn't take much to check footage and tag any ship matching this one's description so soon after a show down on deck.

She kept that to herself, though, not keen on making herself more of a target than she had abruptly become.

She fell back from the screen only to take out her palm-glass-thingy and tap a few buttons and shove it in the woman's face. "See for yourself." And it was all there, the specks and codes for the ship she had debugged herself not yet wiped from the device's memory.

She left it with Castilene, turning and bringing herself to the hull door, watching the station slip away out from under them. Her stomach dropped, her throat tightening. "Where are you taking us?"

#22 Renaya, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. Castilene Kramer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    This was a frustrating turn of events. With her meetup scheduled for sometime tomorrow, everything was falling apart. Gritting her teeth, she weighed her options to the sound of the engine rumbling.

Pallas was a similarly significant asteroid in the belt between Jupiter and Mars, though it didn't serve the same purpose as a way station for ice export. She could use that to lay low for a bit, shirk the warning labels suddenly plastered across her vessel, and maybe sort out a new appointment with her contact. It wasn't like these cleaned and untraceable terminals were just going to offload themselves.

Alternatively, Callisto seemed similarly suited for a harbor point. She had another contact there that assisted with export of meat and vegetables. Might be a good opportunity to get the technician a real steak, see what's under that mask.

Or finally, they could just drift in space living on protein bars, myco sandwiches, and a supplemented water reserve. With the upheaval of Star Helix, suddenly interlaced with the Outer Planetary Alliance, belters had a lot more to worry about than some vessel breaking their shit at one of the numerous mooring stations.

"You got a name?" Cas finally responded, not giving her suspicions the light of day. There were more important things to sort out. Resting her hands on her hips, Cas turned towards the woman and fought the urge to offer the name suggestion of Crab Face.

Renaya likes this.
  4. Renaya

Rood!

Renaya sighed softly, her breath condensing heavily in the mask before it dissipated away. She rubbed at her eyebrow and turned back to face Castilene, appropriately somber. "Renaya. Listen, give it day, I have more codes. We can change your registry and try again." She didn't actually expect Castilene to up and leave the place. After all, you don't come all this way, so far from Earth, for reason.

She was willing to be supplies were already low. Air. Food. Hell, there was damage to the hull with those decks ripped off the way they had been, she would like to hope they couldn't get far.

It would be bad news for her if they did.

Castilene Kramer likes this.
  5. Castilene Kramer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Renaya...with no last name. That seemed fair, given the circumstances. Though when it came to matters regarding damage or rations, or sticking around for the registry to reset, that wasn't going to fly.

"Castilene..." She responded with a slightly tilted expression, looking back towards the view screen at the end of the haul. Aug was putting in very little effort to steer, which meant that the trajectory was already set. It was simply a matter of breaking it to Renaya. "I'm going to be honest, Renaya. I feel kind of bad about what comes next." She didn't really, but it helped to throw in a spritz of empathy.

Cas side-stepped the woman and indicated towards the screen with an extended index finger. The rim around the ship had turned back to a pale shade of white and through the asteroid cluster, a dotted line ran from the tip of the ships nose to another asteroid along the belt. "We won't be sticking around Ceres for a day. I've got some contacts on Pallas, a light jog from here. That's where we're going. You can tag along and we'll bring you back in no time or..." She shrugged, turning her index finger downward.

"The evacuation airlock is along the belly of the ship..." It was a joke that likely came out more cold than comical. Delivery wasn't exactly her strong suit.

Renaya likes this.
  6. Renaya

Renaya hissed, vehemency in her rebuttal. "This isn't a god damn space suit! I have a job to get back to, you're gonna get me fire." Bad news for anyone out here, really, but more so with her.

She shoved passed Castilene to the view screen, starting to wildly tap at buttons as an abrupt and skilled attempt was made to hack the system.

7. Castilene Kramer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Castilene moved forward, attempting to push the woman away from the controls. There was no link between this terminal and the steering control, but it irritated the Operative all the same.

"Please...don't." She returned through clenched teeth. "You didn't have to get on this ship and I'm sorry about the situation. But I'll be damned if you fuck with it while on board." Belter and her skinny bones, tip tapping away at the terminal like it would help.

It would be funny if it wasn't currently inconvenient.

8. Renaya

She didn't have to get into the steering terminal to start shutting shit down, not that she was about to clarify that to any one, though it was annoying at all to be stopped. She was pushed back easily, little strength to her resistance. "Don't touch me!" She snapped, her eyes sharper than the hands that pushed back.

"This is insane, this is kidnapping! I wouldn't be in here at all if you weren't typical Earth scum walking through like you own it all!" The explosion came from her, surprising even herself. But as she yelled and advanced, she didn't care. She was angry. She was being fucked over!

"You have no idea what you're costing me; I'm the only reason you could leave the fucking dock to begin with! They were hacking you! You and your shit and crimes, with out me you'd be bleeding all over my deck right now. Bring. Me. Back!" She shoved on the woman's shoulders, the demand met with the sharp push backwards.

9. Castilene Kramer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Cas didn't verbally respond immediately and for affect, the push caused her to step back. In truth, the strength and muscle development difference was pronounced in such an altercation. There were precious few instances in her training where a non-earther, of similar size, could go toe to toe with her. The special exception came with Martians who purposely trained at high gravity. Alternatively, Cas couldn't walk down the thoroughfare of Ceres without looking like she was stepping on inflated balloons.

Prior to diving deep into this line of work, Cas had spent her years moving through the rigorous training regiment of the UNN Special Forces. While she wasn't exactly Special Forces level, she could hold her own.

"Thank you for your assistance, Renaya." She hadn't realized the depth of technicians involvement, but she also doubted the sincerity and altruism of the act. There was ambivalence here, as subtle as the gravity on low spin. "What I've cost you is your life." She spoke as she stepped towards the woman, closing whatever gap had remained from the shoving match.

"Faulkner is on numerous lists, largely due to his disregard for life. You've inconvenienced him and he's killed people for much less. Belter, Martian, Earth Scum..." Venom drew that last pejorative out as her gaze narrowed. "Doesn't much matter to him and the vacuum of space isn't too particular, either."

Lofted brow raised in faux revelation. "How hard do you think it would be for him to find you? De beaux yeux with a face mask, works on the docks and has an attitude? I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult."

10. Renaya

Renaya staggered a step back, a hand clutching at her chest. "No," she protested, all color leaving the skin behind the mask. Her knuckles turned white on the cloth she twisted around her fingers, unable to accept the implications of the Eather's words.

"No. But I- It was just my job- I didn't-" Brows furrowed, she turned from the woman and took the privacy of the wall to hide her abruptly crumbling expression. She was bluffing. The woman had to be bluffing, what had she just gotten into? She needed to be back on Ceres, in police custody, now. Before this situation grew any deeper.

Before she lost her internship.

Before she lost her life.

"This is ludicrous," she insisted, turning back to Cestilene, composure back inside her feature. "Let me message the cops. They will sort this out, I'll make sure you're cleared. We don't have to do this."

It was practically a plea, the technician trying to grasp at rationality wherever it laid.

11. Castilene Kramer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    That properly surprised Cas. Everything was true regarding the man but belters were infamous for their stubborn nature. Often times they'd rather run out of air than accept a truth that diverted from their expectations. Which made the police comment all the more unfortunate, spurring the slightest trace of sympathy for the technician.

It was one of the worst kept secrets that Star Helix was an easily corrupted entity. The fact that they were initially funded by shareholders from Earth, tying them loosely to the United Nations, made a good deal of the local populace bitter on the best days. And confrontational on the worst. But proximity to the belt and Outer Planetary Alliance meant that, in some cases, loyalty was malleable or reversible based on how hard someone scratched a cop's palm.

Up until recently, that was all dirty laundry. Up until recently, the belt had the good graces of not airing that out. With the retraction of Earth from particular belt investments, the OPA had their claws wrapped tightly around the badge.

As they were fond of saying...no law in ceres, just cops.

"Star Helix is in on the take with OPA..." She had taken to saying it like a word, instead of spelling out the letters. "We're an inconvenience now. It's easier to hit the airlock button than sort out the paper work and decide which boss gets to call the shot." She didn't have the elegance or perspective to differentiate the belter gangs from the OPA. In her mind, they were all the same.

12. Renaya

"You're saying they're corrupt," she accused, her tone turning flat as the emotions seemed to bleed out of her. Shock was slowly entering her, her perception on her situation being challenged and flipped about, leaving her confused and dazed.

There were no other words to be had in that moment, no thoughts slipping through her mind. Just her fingers tingling and her brows furrowed in stress as she struggled to decipher the moment before her.

13. Castilene Kramer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    She thought on the word for a moment. She wasn't convinced that this was a deviation from their intended nature or part of the plan, all along. There were things in place, perpetually moving, that she couldn't begin to understand.

"Yes." She tilted her gaze towards the navigation panel, a clue into the uncertainty of the statement. "Maybe. Or...maybe you can't corrupt something that was built flawed. I don't know..." She nervously smirked, running her hands through her pale hair. "I just think if we can avoid involving them, it might be easier to fly under the radar..."

That was the point she was trying to make. "Faulkner won't report this on high because, well, it proves he fucked up on account of your unexpected involvement. So we lay low for a bit, get our bearing, and make a return trip after the dust has settled. Maybe he'll find some other distraction in the mean time."

She was looking for ways to word it optimistically, despite her cynical nature; maybe it wasn't particularly persuasive.

14. Renaya

But that wasn't what Castilene had just told her. That wasn't what had just previously been said. She was as good dead on any account by either path if she went back. Either by the cops or Faulkner getting to her first, or by the loss of internship without a police report to back up her abrupt disappearance from work. No work meant no medical, and no medical...

She really didn't know what to believe at the moment. The only thing that was certain was that Castilene had plenty of moments to hurt her, but didn't.

A jitter entered her hand. She paced. "What happens to me until then," she asked bluntly.

15. Castilene Kramer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The slow rumble of the engine was evident as Ceres became smaller and smaller in the rear-view. It hadn't been Cas' intention to scare Reyana, though she felt extreme points of view would help to sell the message and make things clear. Reyana, by limited association to Cas, was indirectly in danger. There was no way to get around that and there was no way for Cas to shirk that blame, despite the freedom Reyana once had to come and go between the mooring station and the ship.

That bit sunk in for a moment as she frowned, understanding the woman's downtrodden expression for what it was. Someone without any options.

"Medication..." Cas responded, sticking her hands on her hip as she nodded. Clearly deflecting. "You almost knocked them over when you first came round. Salvaged off a derelict vessel, with other odds and ends...unregistered terminals and such." Her thawing gaze shifted from Renaya to the crate. "That's what I was looking to sell or trade at Ceres."

It was a tricky situation; she could admit that to herself even if she wasn't prepared to make an audible confession. "That is still my plan. You're free to do as you please between now and then. And I'll do my best to get you home." She shrugged as she turned and swiped the nav panel, shutting the screen down. "Well, as best as can be expected for Earth scum."

Renaya likes this.
  16. Renaya

Renaya snorted, the only bit of acknowledgement Castilene would get for that comment. She paced for a moment more, unable to stop her gaze from drifting to the crate with more intent than she could hide.

Medicine. What kind. Could she use it? How long would this last? She had her usual on hand, she always did. But even that had limited quantity. When was the last refill she got? Did she even dare to take the mask off here? What if something occurred? How long would this all last?

These questions ran through her mind, so many factors outside of her control. She had never lived outside of a controlled environment, every bit of her condition managed. It was frightening.

She shoved past Castilene, moving towards the hall and jamming open every door that would open for her. She was looking for something, clearly.

17. Castilene Kramer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    If there was one thing an Earther could appreciate, it was the taste and mouthfeel of clean air. Without contamination, free of debris and contagion. Hundreds of years ago, when there was no Martians or Belters, just people from Earth; entire industries paved the way for technology that could improve quality of air.

But now that rockets shot through space, people were content to just get by on breathing. Ceres was just fine so long as you didn't mind sucking on a bag of copper pennies and chasing it with cough expectorant. The ship might have had that new car smell to it, being hardly used beyond Cas and Aug, but it wasn't much different. Sure, scrubbers were in place and filters were changed based on manufacturers interval. But it didn't change the fact that you were invariably breathing in someone else's air.

Cas watched, over the ball of her shoulder, as the woman paced with a palpable sense of concern. If there was anything more dangerous than having a stranger inside a sealed up can, it was a stranger on the edge of panic.

Cas had all the time in the world between Pallas and Ceres. Though whether it would be enough to assuage whatever concerns Renaya had, Cas remained skeptical.

“Hey…” She blurted out, without taking offense to the shove, as she followed behind the woman. “You hungry or anything…no, not that door. The next one. On the right…” She pointed and hooked her finger to the right. “Has a little kitchen and a bathroom to the back.”

Renaya likes this.
  18. Renaya

"I don't care about your kitchens, I want your utility room," she grumbled, stopping at the kitchen door and physically moving Castilene to the side to side to try the door behind the woman.

"You tore off from deck without properly disengaging, you think there's not damage to fix there?" She continued to grumble, her agitation showing in her furrowed brows. She pushed deeper in, peeking into the navagations room before turning right back on her heel and brushing past the woman again.

"Probably leaking air or water into the void behind us, you can't just go tearing off without properly sealing up. Those are our lifelines you fucked with. Gonnagetuskilled."

19. Castilene Kramer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Cas was doing her utmost to put on a polite face; it should have been obvious by now that it wasn't her typical demeanor. But this whole pushing and shoving habit was grating on her nerves.

This time, when Renaya tried to move past her, continuing to go on about damages, Cas nearly put her hand through the bulkhead to block the path.

Any more teeth clenching and Cas could supplement an avian diet with the calcium ground from her teeth.

“Listen.” She spoke through her clenched teeth, blowing a strand of silver hair from her face. “This isn't your rattling pen or your tool box. If you want to help, I can show you to the utility room. But you want be going unattended. Sasa ke?”

Renaya likes this.
  20. Renaya

"Sasa ke," she near sassed back, internally surprised at the traits her stress was bringing out of her. There was no time to really linger on it though, no space inside her to think rationally outside the sudden edgy concerns that had cropped up into her life. First things first-- make sure the ship can sustain them to their destination.

Then she could pose moral quandaries like stealing a ship and bringing herself back before anyone could notice. She forced herself to take a deep breath regardless, realizing she shouldn't burn bridges with this woman just because she was there to lash out at.

"It doesn't do me any good to harm this ship with me on it, watch if you want, but I need to check it."