CERES Techies

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Eric Walsh, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Eric Walsh

@Tayleigh Ryven

Eric hadn't actually expected Tayleigh to stick around his room, the little bunk space was close to enough to a brig that it made his skin crawl. He half turned as the Guard pushed him inside. "Thanks for the hospitality!"

He yelled just as the guard slammed the door shut.

His lips instantly thinned, and slowly he looked around the room. The Martians symbols everywhere still stood out to him, every wall and piece of furniture seeming to be adorned with them. It oddly reminded him of the UN ships he'd been on, his lips thinning as he wandered to his bunk and sat down in the bed.

"You fucked this one up, Walsh." Eric said out loud to himself.

The phrase was something that his Training Officer had often bellowed at him. It had eventually gotten to a point where it almost became a term of endearment, kind of. He smiled for a second, his eyes rolling around the room as he thought about Tayleigh.

He couldn't help but worry.

Had he said the right thing? Would her captain throw her under the bus? Would she be demoted?

For some reason he found himself actually caring when he should have just been glad he was finally off of Ceres.

Tayleigh Ryven likes this.
  2. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

The Martian paid absolutely no heed to Eric's sarcasm. He cared absolutely nothing for how the Terran felt. As far as he was concerned, his time was being wasted guarding someone utterly worthless. Nothing would have made him happier in that moment than to be given the okay to space Eric straight out of the airlock. That would likely be the only time he ever saw the man smile. He might even give him a gentle waive goodbye if that were the case.

It would take several hours for the only Martian on board that didn't have the urge to creatively murder Eric to return.

Just outside he'd hear the brief mumbling of a man, followed by an irritated sounding woman, and then the door suddenly opened, immediately closing behind Tayleigh. She immediately shook her head, rolling her eyes in tandem. For the moment she remained just in front of the door, hazel eyes focused on Eric.

"How are you feeling?"

Eric Walsh likes this.
  3. Eric Walsh

@Tayleigh Ryven

Eric had spent his time taking a nap.

Surprisingly the bunk that they had given him was actually rather comfortable, and the headache he had from his head injury had brought on sleep quite easily. By the time Tayleigh found him Eric had woken up again, though his hair looked slightly more disheveled and there was a bit of sleep in his eye.

"Not too bad." He said as he slowly scooted himself to the side of the mattress pad.

There wasn't any other place to sit within the small room, Eric of course hadn't been supplied with a table or chairs. He doubted any of the other crew had them either of course.

"How about you?" He asked, genuine concern in his voice. "Wanna sit down?"

Eric didn't exactly have a lot to offer at that moment, he'd drank the only bottle of water they had given him, but he could at the very least offer that.

4. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

"I'll be fine, though I think Ceres is a no-go for this Martian for some time."

Chances were those Belters wouldn't forget her for a long time coming. If it were dangerous before, it became that much more now that they had reason for revenge, even if it weren't exactly her fault for the actions of the deceased man and the injured one. But such was the way of things. The only story that mattered was the one your side told.

"Sure. I can spare a few minutes."

Tayleigh sat down at the end of the bunk, rubbing the back of her neck beneath her hair.

"Have you ever been to Ganymede? Any idea of what you'll do for work when we get there?"

Eric Walsh likes this.
  5. Eric Walsh

@Tayleigh Ryven

Eric shrug, a slightly awkward motion given that he was still laying down in the bed. "We were there briefly once when I was stationed aboard the UNN Bialla, didn't really see much of the place besides the docks though."

The place was nice enough. Most people called Ganymede the bread basket of the Belt. Quite a bit of food was grown there, and the way the stationed operated reflected that. A lot of the place was centered around whay it produced, and as a result there were restaurants and other things like that. Really agriculture wasn't in Eric's wheelhouse but he was pretty confident he'd be able to find something for himself there.

It also helped that Inners were far more common than on Ceres.

"Not sure what I'll do." He said thoughtfully. "Maybe try to find a ship that's hiring. The turnover on Ganymede is pretty good. New ships come in every day, Martian, Terran, and Belter. I'm sure some will need help."

He sighed. "If not...well I have other skills I can put to use."

6. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Good." She said, not coldly, but directly. There wasn't exactly anything she could do more in terms of helping Eric. Getting him to Ganymede was already costing her an actual life, and an interrogation by MNI at some point. The latter of which she was surprisingly more worried about than the Belter's attempted murder on both her and Eric.

"Ganymede will likely have ships hiring for deliveries to Earth and Mars. I imagine they can use all the help offered to them."

Tayleigh wasn't too certain whether accepting a job delivering to the Belt was a wise choice, though she kept the thought to herself.

@Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh likes this.
  7. Eric Walsh

@Tayleigh Ryven

He nodded. "I expect there's plenty of work, plus it's a bit more...calm than Ceres."

An extreme upside if there ever was one.

Eric intended on staying as far away from Belter stations for a while. Ganymede at least had a heavy Martian and Terran presence, though he wasn't entirely sure if that was a good thing either. He wasn't wanted by either side, but the United Nations wasn't exactly his best friend. Same went for Mars, though none of them had tried to kill him yet.

A sigh escaped Eric as he leaned against the bulkhead, his knee brushing against Tayleigh.

"So..." He trailed off for a second. "How much trouble are you in..."

Eric paused. "Because of me."

8. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "For now? None. The real trouble wont be until I am alone in a room with a MNI agent. That will determine a great deal of what happens next."

Thankfully in the grand scheme of things she hadn't done anything criminally negligent. That much she was confident in. MNI wouldn't care about the death of a Belter or two, so long as the story corroborated the evidence. Besides, the reason the military had landed on Ceres anyway was likely to be a much larger story than a single Belter having been killed in a street fight that they started.

Tayleigh leaned back, resting her head against the bulkhead.

"I'm just hoping to be cleared for duty and return to work, rather than undergo psyche evaluations."

@Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh likes this.
  9. Eric Walsh

@Tayleigh Ryven

He mused for a moment.

Martian Naval Intelligence. That was a group of people Eric hoped he'd never have to run into. He'd only ever heard rumors, bits and pieces, but from what he gathered they could be rather nasty. The focus drugs, the interrogations, a small shiver ran up Eric's spine as he thought about going through that.

For a moment he glanced at Tayleigh, wondering exactly what they'd ask her. He doubted they would care much about the Belter she had killed, but maybe...he frowned for a moment. Was she better off not knowing? The Martians would likely find out eventually, but plausible deniability was always a good thing.

"You could always run away with me." Eric offered with a smile.

It was a joke of course.

"Work together on some ancient Ice Hauler." Eric swept his hand, as if painting a picture. "Chasing break down after break down for days on end."

He looked at her. "It could be fun."

10. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The brunette cracked a smile, "Yeah, that sounds miserable. I don't think so."

A decade of her life had been spent in service to Mars. The MCRN was her second home.

"Without the uniform, the people, the warships? I think space would be pretty lonely. Besides, the navy is my home away from home. Abandoning it like that isn't something I could do. Not to my crew, my family, or myself. No, this is what I was born to do. It's my purpose in this life, I think. And I like that."

It was a good life too. She got to travel, see things she never would otherwise. Even if service wasn't obligatory, she would have chosen it all the same. It was in her blood.

"Even at seventeen, forging my date of birth on the paperwork I knew it was the right decision. Hauling ice just isn't my idea of a good time."

@Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh likes this.
  11. Eric Walsh

@Tayleigh Ryven

He ran a hand through his hair, chuckling slightly. Eric couldn't help but find her words just a little funny, mostly because they were so opposite his own system of belief.

The navy for him had never been a calling, it was always just something to get him away from Earth and his family. Sure he had made a few friends, learned some things, perhaps even become a better person...but it hadn't exactly been the high point of his life. It was funny to him that Tayleigh was so loyal.

Then again maybe that was all Martians. "Just a thought."

He told her with a smile.

"Seventeen, huh?" Eric asked. "That's pretty young to be running off."

At that age he'd still been stealing cigarettes and running from the authorities for one delinquent act or another.

12. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Could have waited a year, but I saw little reason. I knew what I wanted to do."

She pulled up one leg, resting her foot on the edge of the bunk, hands set on top of her knee. The quiet humming of the ship as it traveled was the only sound that could be heard from inside the room, other than the occasional footsteps of boots against metal from passing crew members.

"Ten years later and I still haven't regretted the decision, so I like to think I made the right call."

Besides, if Earth and Mars went to war, she knew there was no place she would prefer being than aboard a warship.

@Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh likes this.
  13. Eric Walsh

@Tayleigh Ryven

He mused for a second.

Seventeen was incredibly young to join the military. By Terran standards, and apparently Martian too, one wasn't an adult until they were eighteen. Even then anyone turning eighteen was hardly grown up enough to make any sort of decision. Though perhaps that didn't apply to Tayleigh and the other Martians. They were a rather strict bunch, though he couldn't imagine that the gap between them was all that big.

They were still human after all. ”So no rebel phase for you then, huh?

Eric had always thought everyone went through a time in their life when they went against authority. It was an impression that his father had given him. The old man had always told him that he'd needed to grow up and be an adult, and his brothers had assured him that his natural inclination against authority was simply a small part of his life.

He wasn't entirely sure of that given than he'd been “rebelling” for four years now, but perhaps this odd little adventure he was on now marked the end of that.

There's no way he'd survive on Ganymede if he didn't get serious.

14. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "I imagine my rebel phase was just had on Ceres. I'd say that was enough for me."

Had she returned to the Cydonia when she finished her work, and not instead gone wandering with a Terran than she wouldn't have wound up in the situation that both she and he were now in. To Tayleigh, that was rebel enough for her. It was time to return to a normal state of being. Twisting wrenches below deck, reading scans and checking numbers.

She wasn't MMC, nor would she ever be. Content she was to leave the blasting to the grunts.

"Which, that being said, I should get back to work. Is there anything I can get you before I go? Water? Something to eat?"

@Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh likes this.
  15. Eric Walsh

@Tayleigh Ryven

"Massage maybe?" The words came out of Eric's mouth almost reflexively, and it was obvious from his tone that it was little more than a joke.

Still as soon as he said it his eyes widened in shock. Perhaps it had been the tension in the room, the fact that he was surrounded by what most people back home would be called "enemies", or any one of a hundred other reasons. Either way Eric regretted it five seconds after he'd said it, a slight bit of horror crossing his features.

Before Tayleigh could smack him Eric coughed.

"Umm." He cleared his throat. "Food would be great."

The Terran hadn't eaten since before the entire Martian Blockade.

16. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The Martian rolled her eyes, "Not sure you'll find anyone on this ship willing to accommodate that request."

In fact had it not been she that Eric was talking to, it very likely would have earned him a rather unpleasant strike to the face, joking or not. He was in a very precarious position on board the ship, and his presence tolerated only on the merits of Tayleigh and the captain. Every other Martian on board would happily space him without a moment to discuss the act.

Especially the marines.

"Food I can do. Let me go and see what there is. Coffee too?"

@Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh likes this.
  17. Eric Walsh

@Tayleigh Ryven

He Was more than aware of his position on the Martian ship, but his mouth was such that it often ran away from him. Hed gotten in trouble more than once because of it, though in all fairness it had also won him some golden opportunities.

Still, best to keep silent.

When she mentioned coffee however his jaw dropped for a moment. Back home his parents were about as wealthy as one could get on Earth, and luxuries like coffee and other things had been a day to day treat. Since he’d left for the belt though? Well Eric had spent the last few months telling everyone how great energy drinks were. ”Coffee would be great.”

He finally managed to croak out after picking his jaw up off the floor.

A part of him was beginning to think this journey wouldn't be so bad.

18. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "It's strong. Just warning you."

Coffee on the stations just didn't seem to compare to a cup of Martian coffee. That stuff was good. Tayleigh wondered if Eric had ever had it before. "I'll go see what I can bring you. I'd say don't go anywhere, but, well." Her arms raised and fell, noting the rather confined space he was in.

"Then you can tell me how that chat with the captain went, yeah?"

She presumed the overall interview went as expected, given that he was still breathing and on board, but there was likely more to it than just that.

@Eric Walsh

19. Eric Walsh

@Tayleigh Ryven

"I prefer it that way anyway." Though after a few months of having only the weak and watered down stuff it would probably have quite a kick. Not that it was necessarily a bad thing. A small smile touched his lips and he leaned back in his bunk, already looking forward to the meal he was going to get.

His eyes closed for a second an he began to relax, though as soon as Taleigh said her last he tensed again.

The conversation with the Captain hadn't necessarily gone badly, but Eric knew that he'd lost control towards the end. The man had been insufferably unclear and...well he'd sort of gone off. No one had thrown him out the airlock though, which he took as a good sign at the very least.

"Sure." He told Tayleigh. "No problem."

Eric said with a shrug.

20. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

The brunette pressed the release on the door, catching the attention of the guard posted just outside of Eric's door. His attention was short lived, seeing Tayleigh step past. The galley wasn't too far away. The Cydonia was a smaller vessel in terms of the Martian navy, designed as an assault cruiser it was a lot smaller than anything like the Donnager class.

When she arrived the room was vacant, likely fortunately for her to avoid the awkward discussion of feeding the enemy or something of the sort. Tensions were high with Eric on board, but she wasn't looking to escalate it with confrontation of her crewmates.

She set the coffee maker and reached for one of the cabinets to the left of the machine, removing a package containing some rations. Not the homiest of meals, but food was food. She at least made sure not to get the supposedly fried chicken, that one was just awful. It was so awful in fact, it wasn't even something she would feed to her worst enemy. Tay wondered just who actually enjoyed that recipe, and who approved it to be served to begin with?