1. Wild Frontier

The Wild Frontier has opened. Stake your claim as we enter Chapter 5 and a new era for the Expanse RP!

Dismiss Notice

CERES Techies

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Eric Walsh, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Eric Walsh

Ceres - Post Blockade
    @Tayleigh Ryven

Well.

It seemed that things were finally quieting down a little bit, or at least that's what it looked like.

The Martians had ceased their blockade, at least somewhat. More than a dozen of their ships were still docked in the Berths of Ceres and their Marines were everywhere, but at least people were allowed to come and go now. The UN had capitulated somewhat, allowing the Martians a steady presence on Ceres so that they could look for 'OPA terrorists'.

Eric wasn't entirely sure what that meant, but he did know that half of the station was still entirely on edge and the other half was under direct control of either Mars or Earth's proxy; Star Helix.

It made for some high tensions.

The ironic thing was that the Martians were actually helping in some areas, sending out engineers and the like to sure up some of the air filters and other older pieces of tech that were scattered around the station. Eric knew that because he'd watched a few of them work, though it was apparent that most weren't all that happy about it.

He sighed slightly, shifting his pack as he leaned against the wall.

He knew that he needed a way off this station, but right now he had no idea how to do it. The UN certainly wouldn't help him and the Belters would rather spit in his face, but maybe...maybe there was a nice little Martian somewhere that would buy his story.

2. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

Tayleigh brushed the side of her right hand against her eye, rubbing away whatever debris had managed to lodge itself in there, causing a moment of irritation and distraction from her work. The act left a small patch of black around the outside of the eye, grease of some kind most likely. It hardly bothered her, more so it went relatively unnoticed. Fixing things was part of her daily routine. Couldn't fix things by not getting ones hands, or face, a bit dirty now and then. Of those on Ceres performing repairs, she felt as though she were largely alone in her absent feeling of hatred and condescension of Earthers and Belters. That wasn't to say she wasn't conditioned to distrust them, she certainly didn't get any warm and fuzzy feelings from those who passed by her, but she didn't outright hate their very existence like many others did. Still, she knew the feeling was hardly mutual, and those on Ceres would have been more than happy to see her and her MCRN insignia waltz right off the station, or worse.

Her lips pursed briefly, pushing a breath of air upwards to remove the lingering strand of hair obstructing her view while she twisted the filter in a circular motion into the socket, securing it before replacing and sealing the panel shut once more. There were roughly three dozen more that would have to be replaced within this sector of the station before she could consider the work done, but thankfully there were a number of others assigned to the same job as she. Wouldn't take more than a few hours. Then she could finally return to the ship for a meal and a shower. Oh how she would need both.

Lifting up her pack containing an array of tools she proceeded to wander several meters down, passing a few onlooking Belters that offered her nothing but a sneer and a singular glob of spit at her feet, causing her to abruptly stop to avoid being hit. The man made no attempt to disguise his act of indecency, in fact it seemed as if he was waiting to bask in the glory of her disgusted response. And for a moment she considered giving him a stern talking to, but she wasn't exactly in a position to back up her words. The firearm at her side wouldn't help all that much if they jumped her. So instead she did something that took the man aback.

"I'm very sorry for this. I promise I will be out of your way shortly."

And then she kept walking, paying no heed to the chatter of the group of Belters that had accosted her.

3. Eric Walsh

Eric was still standing in the corner when he noticed another Martian slowly make her way down the hall.

It wasn't hard to notice her. Eric might not have seen her in a crowd, hell he might not have seen her had they walked down the same hallway, but the fact that every single Belter in the place was giving her a luck of absolute disgust was enough to tip even him off. One of them spat on the floor in front of her, something that made even Eric raise his eyebrow.

He frowned for a half a second, his eyes wandering over the lithe woman as she spoke something he couldn't quite hear to the Belter. The man seemed taken aback for a second, though his expression turned to disgust once more as soon as she turned and kept on walking down the hall.

For a moment Eric stayed in place, the woman stepping closer to her.

A few seconds of indecision passed, and then suddenly Eric heaved his bag slightly onto his shoulder to redistribute the weight. He took a step forward and then fell into a gait besides the Martian. "Some people have no manners."

Eric commented with a smile, glancing at the girl to try and gauge her reaction.

Tayleigh Ryven likes this.
  4. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

Her initial reaction was startle, having not expected someone to jaunt up beside her so suddenly. She blinked and twitched before settling back into her walk towards the next panel. "Suppose they have their reasons. People aren't too keen on foreigners." She took a moment to look around her surroundings, the dull appearance of Ceres being only a minuscule upgrade from the blankness of space. "Probably less so ones that surround them, blockade them, and then dispatch their military on a terrorist hunt." She understood their position. She had empathy for their situation. Still, some things had to be done, even despite the discomfort it may momentarily cause. OPA were terrorists, the lot of them. They needed to be stopped, and the UN and Earthers only sat on their asses.

"I'd be just like them I think, if the tables were turned. It's tough out here. I'm just doing what needs to be done."

She set down the bag once more as she reached the panel, reaching in to once again remove the small driver to extract the panel door and access the next filter box. "Folks only trust their own, it's instinct. I could do without being spat on though." She leaned in, inserting the driver and applying a small measure of pressure that produced a quick pop from the panel as it released. Tayleigh reached upwards, her hand disappearing inside the opening as she turned her head towards the man.

"Sorry, I didn't catch your name? Lt. Tayleigh Ryven, MCRN."

Though the name badge on her upper chest, along with both the MCRN and rank insignias likely gave all of that away. Regardless, she felt appropriate to actually introduce herself, rather than let it be presumed. "I'd offer you a handshake, but, well--" She turned her free hand towards him, the grime plainly evident. "Supposed to be cleaning up messes here, not making more."

Eric Walsh likes this.
  5. Eric Walsh

Eric had expected a word of agreement or maybe something about how Belters were all Trash, what he hadn't expected was half a life story and a tale about how everyone had bad times sometimes.

He blinked for a few seconds, having come to a stop besides the girl as she worked on one of the small panels located within the corner of the hall. Eric found himself somewhat dumbfounded, mostly because he hadn't expected her to be a techie, nor had he expected her to actually start a conversation with him so easily. "I uhh."

A small cough crept from his throat.

"Eric." He said finally. "Walsh."

She was a higher rank than he'd ever reached in the service, but he wasn't about to launch into detail about that. Instead he figured he might as well lean into the conversational topic and try to get as much as he could out of this.

"Don't worry." He said as he grabbed her palm and shook her hand, a small smile touching his face as he did so. "I'm used to a mess or two."

His fingers laced around hers for only a moment, not wanting to be creepy. "You're an engineer?"

6. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

She smiled, shaking his hand as he seemed not to mind the filth on her palm. When they released she momentarily averted her gaze to what she was doing, her expression twitching as if she were struggling with whatever was inside the panel for a few seconds. Her tongue even poked out, pinched between her teeth and furrowed brows. The cap within the panel holding the filter finally let go. "Bugger didn't want to let go!" She said, turning her attention once more to Eric as she now gently twisted the filter free.

"You bet!" She affirmed, "Ten years in, officer for six. Engineer from the beginning. Gotta do what you're good at." She smiled again, pulling free the filter as a steady stream of gunk that had built up within the shaft trailed out and partially onto her arm. "Of course, it helps when you enjoy your work as well. Luckily for me."

Tayleigh knelt down, picking up a small rag from her bag to begin cleaning the interior of the small shaft of the excessive build-up. A new filter wouldn't help much if it continued circulating filth. Though it was clear that a rag alone wasn't going to rid this particular section of the dirt. "Would you mind reaching into my bag and grabbing the blade inside? Gonna need it for this one I'm afraid."

Returning to their previous conversation she continued speaking, "Most of my work tends to be on ships, not stations. Can't pass up a change of pace though, even if it's not much of one."

Eric Walsh likes this.
  7. Eric Walsh

He smiled, slowly wiping his hand on his pants. There was no point in trying to keep them clean at this point. Since Amanda had thrown him out there was nowhere to wash them and he'd probably end up throwing them in the garbage and buying new ones down the line. It would be easier than trying to get all the filth that would accumulate out.

"Sure." Eric said as he leaned down and popped open the bag on the floor.

He scanned the tools inside for a moment, noting a few before pushing them to the side in search of what Talyleigh had actually asked him for. Eventually he found it, plucking it free and standing up to offer it to her. He remembered people like her from the ships he'd served on, by the way she spoke he guessed that she was more...hands on than he had been.

"Here." He said. "Want a quick hand?"

Most of his work on the ships had been with the internal systems, the computer and radar systems. Most of it had been more specialized, but that had been to his advantage at the time. "Used to do some of this myself."

Way back in training anyway.

8. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

"Sure. Never turn away help."
    She shifted her body a bit so that Eric could access the panel, taking from him the small blade as it was offered up. It wasn't a great deal of room, but two hands could easily maneuver inside. "If you wouldn't mind cleaning around the port where the filter is to be seated with that rag and the aerosol cleaning agent I can clear away the rest of the caked on debris around it with the blade." As far as complexity, this task ranked pretty low on the ladder of her qualifications.

There hadn't been any pressing need for her to leave her ship, but it was something to do, and she hated idle hands. She had a number of fidgets that came out when she had nothing to do that were mildly annoying. Teasing her hair, bouncing her leg, biting her nails. All things she could actively stop herself from doing, but if she weren't busy, and not forcing herself to not do those things, she would find herself falling into one of those three habits.

"Used to do this you say? Who'd you work for if you don't mind me asking? And why'd you quit?"

Eric Walsh likes this.
  9. Eric Walsh

He perked an eyebrow, but didn't say anything. A couple of years ago he might have said something about how that was far below his qualifications, but right about now such a tirade wouldn't help him in the least.

Better just to do as she asked. "UN Navy."

The words slipped from his mouth rather casually, but that was what he intended. This woman didn't seem like the type to judge a book by it's cover, at least by he reaction to Belters, and he hoped that carried on towards Terran's too. There was a chance of course that she hated his people, there was always a chance of that when it came to Martians, but hopefully he could explain that away.

"Then Private sector." Eric went on as he did as she asked, reaching into her toolbox to retrieve what he would actually need to clean the small area around the port. "I floated from ship to ship, landed here on Ceres and tried to find something more permanent."

He shrugged. "No luck so far."

Eric tried to play it off like it wasn't a big deal, but of course he was omitting some rather large facts. Like why he'd left the Navy, or why he'd stopped on Ceres, or why he was walking around with a bag full of clothes.

10. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

"Gotcha."
    She said, nodding as she felt the blade drag against the metal interior, grating against the build up of residue long since neglected over the years. "You're an Earther?" There wasn't any malice to her question, just curiosity. "Looks nice there. Never been myself, but I've seen pictures and videos." She scrunched her nose as a bit of the material fell from the panel and onto her sleeve. "Seems like paradise. Hard to imagine why anyone would leave such a place." Perhaps there was a bit of envy coming from her, but she made an effort not to showcase that.

"So, retired UNN Engineer, then? What made you go private? Money?"

From what she knew, there was big money in freelancing aboard ships, legitimate business or not, even if it was inherently more dangerous on either side of that coin. Space was, by its very nature, a dangerous and cold place to make a living. The Belters knew that most of all. A simple gaze at their appearance was more than enough evidence to support such conclusions.

Eric Walsh likes this.
  11. Eric Walsh

"You could say that." Eric answered as nonchalantly as he could muster. It wasn't exactly far from the truth. The Navy had paid well enough, but not enough to motivate in him to really do anything. It had been laziness that had seen him kicked out of the Navy, that and his rather adverse relationship with the crew of the last frigate he'd been on.

He'd hated them and they had hated him, something that everyone had made perfectly clear through a long list of pranks and jokes. Of course his last prank had gone a bit too far...but again there was no need for him to tell Tayleigh any of this, mostly because it would seem utterly stupid.

"Earth isn't all that it's cracked up to be." He commented as he wiped up a bit of grime with the rag that he had taken from her tool box. "Some parts are great, don't get me wrong, but..."

He looked around. "A few don't live any better than the Belters."

Not that Eric had been one of those few, but he'd seen the slums more than once in his life. Enough to be disillusioned with the way the UN handled some things anyway.

"What about Mars?" He'd never seen much of the red planet, mostly because going there had always seemed like a bad idea.

12. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

Tayleigh looked at Eric with a strange expression of disbelief on her. Her eyes raised, suspiciously. "Not all its cracked up to be? You have things we can only dream of some day having." She shook her head, grinding the metal against metal to clear away what more she could of the inside of the shaft. "Everywhere that has a population has its rough areas." Tayleigh paused what she was doing for a second to look at Eric,

"But Earthers have beauty, something to look out their windows and appreciate every day. You have lakes and oceans, forests, things that will take many, many generations to ever imagine having on Mars. That's not something to take for granted. Portions of our largest cities are entirely subterranean. Even where I grew up, Salton, there's not much to look at and appreciate. You make due with what you have though. Imaginations are an important thing to have."

Finishing with what she was doing she dipped her hand out of the panel, a small collection of debris trailing along with her. "I love my home, but it is not the shining gem of the system like Earth." Carefully she lifted up the filter, offering it to Eric to fit to the port. "You shouldn't take that for granted. Especially out here."

Eric Walsh likes this.
  13. Eric Walsh

Eric looked at her for a moment. He wasn't entirely on board with what she said, sure she was right that Earth had things to look at, but that didn't mean you could ignore the problems. He'd never been an activist or anything of the sort, but he still wouldn't give his homeworld a glowing review.

A frown pulled at his lips, fingers gently wrapping around the clean filter. "Maybe you're right."

Again he kept his arguments to himself. Telling her she was wrong would be counter-productive to why he'd talked to her in the first place, and arguing about Earth wasn't going to win him any friends with anyone anyway. Not here in Ceres at least.

He had his reasons for leaving, she didn't need to know them.

"Most Martians I've met don't have the same fondness for Earth." Eric commented as he slipped the filter into place with a loud click, ensuring that it was secure before looking back at Tayleigh. "Usually there's a few comments about "nuking" or "attacking" thrown in when talking about Terra."

14. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

"Most of it I reckon is because we're envious of what we don't have."
    She shrugged, waiting for Eric to remove his hand from the filter port before seating the panel back in place and securing it once more. "The other part is likely because your folk have always seen Mars as their property, and we had to barter for our independence or go to war for it. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth and a scar under the surface."

That scar was hardly going to be healed overnight. This mutual separation and occasional stand-offs were proof of that.

If the two superpowers went to war, there was no question which side she would fight for, no hint of hesitation that would be made, but that didn't mean she wasn't acutely aware of her admiration for the world she had never seen with her own eyes, and the home that many more called theirs.

But that was how it was. She knew who she was, what she was. A Martian.

"Thanks for the help." She said, tucking the tools back into her bag once again and offering up a gentle smile. "I don't want to take up your time, and there's a few more of these to get to. And seeing as I can't exactly pay you, I'd rather not hold you up with my chatter."

Eric Walsh likes this.
  15. Eric Walsh

This woman had turned out to be surprisingly honest.

Usually when you randomly walked up to someone on the street you could expect to get one of two things; a slap to the face or a brief few terse words, not this. Still, Eric knew that there was an opportunity for him here, especially considering that this woman was a Lieutenant in the Martian Navy and the Martians practically ran Ceres right now.

He just had to get to a place where he could take advantage. "Listen."

Eric began slowly, taking into account the short conversation they had just had. She was probably in the right regarding most Terran's, he'd encountered more than a few who had thought of Mars as little more than an errant colony, but thankfully he wasn't one of them. To Eric Mars was just another place, and right now they could help him.

"Like I said earlier I'm not exactly swimming in job offers right now." More than true. "I know you can't pay me, but if I help you out a bit today think you can throw in a good word for me with your command?"

Mars was either taking over or leaving eventually, but with both options were something Eric could take advantage of. "I don't really have anything better to do and it might do me some good."

16. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

The woman stared at him for a second, before carefully dragging one of the lesser dirtied rags over her hands in an attempt to at least partially clean herself. She rubbed that same eye again, only this time actually noticed that she had smeared grease on herself. She muttered something under her breath and dabbed the rag over the splotch on her before setting it back inside the bag with a small sigh.

"You're not exactly military personnel, and as icing on the cake you're an Earther. I can't exactly just escort you on board a military ship. I don't quite know the exact words the CO would have, but I'm sure the few choices that would be selected are anything but what I would like to hear. What kind of good word could I put in? I don't mean to sound harsh, but, you lent a hand with filters on the station, knowing full well I am MCRN. They're looking for terrorists right now, not passengers. I don't know that they will be too keen on the idea of taking you aboard after recent events."

It wasn't exactly a kosher plan.

"I appreciate the help, honestly I do. But you see where this is going, right? Random kind stranger approaches MCRN officer, makes conversation, then asks to climb aboard a warship for a ride somewhere, right after a search of the station for OPA terrorists."

Eric Walsh likes this.
  17. Eric Walsh

He blinked for a few seconds.

"You think I'm OPA?" Eric let out a little burst of laughter. The accusation, or rather even the thought of that was so hilarious that he couldn't contain himself. Sure there were a few Earthers, even Martians, that joined the OPA. Some of them even became famous enough to run entire stations, but Erich?

No, definitely not.

He wasn't brave enough for that sort of thing. Fighting for the OPA meant taking up a cause, and Eric just didn't have the willpower for that sort of thing. On his best days he barely managed to do his job, on his worst? Well he didn't even want to make it out of bed before noon time. No no, OPA life was not for him.

"Look." He said gesturing to himself. "I'm just a guy, not some sort of nefarious agent."

Eric looked at her. "I just want to get off Ceres."

For a moment he considered. She seemed pretty adamant about her point, and honestly he couldn't really blame her for it. The MCRN had to be careful here.

"Half the people on this station want me in the morgue just because of where I'm from." He of course referred to the members of the OPA, the ones that had set off the riots. "The Other half don't care if I end up there or not."

18. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

"It doesn't matter what I think. OPA or not, the circumstances would look suspicious at best, and I'm not the CO of the Cydonia. If I bring you on board without authorization, I could be court martialed, and I'm not real keen on losin' my rank, or job, or freedom. And for the record, you are an Earther. Maybe not the same as OPA, but I can't imagine MCRN command giving the go ahead to bring aboard a former UNN Engineer for a joy ride. It's not SOP and this isn't a rescue op."

Tayleigh understood his plight. Being stranded on Ceres was hardly a vacation. But protocol was protocol. She had only just met Eric, they weren't exactly old friends, and certainly not family. Her trust for him only extended so far, and it wasn't enough to risk her ass for.

"I can see about arranging passage on board one of the detained ships leaving Ceres once the MCRN pulls the fleet. That's as best I can do."

Eric Walsh likes this.
  19. Eric Walsh

@Tayleigh Ryven

Her last suggestion brought a slight smile to his face.

The option was a good one, probably preferable to walking around on an MCRN warship. She was right in the fact that he was an Earther, and he doubted that any other Martian would be as welcoming as Tayleigh had been so far. A part of him knew that he was likely already pushing his luck with her, but when you had gold in your sight you generally didn't tend to stop going for it.

At least he didn't. "That would work."

Eric said finally, feeling a slight bit of cautious optimism slipping back into him. After being thrown out by Amanda Eric had expected that he could float around Ceres for a while, but with the Martian Blockade and the UN supporting it...he doubted that anyone even closely related to a Belter would take him in.

Better to leave the station and put all this in the rearview mirror.

"I don't need anything fancy." He told her. "Just need to get out of here."

Before some random OPA thug decided he'd make a nice stabbing victim.

20. Tayleigh Ryven

Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Eric Walsh

"Very well."
    She said with a quick nod. "Help me finish up these filter swaps, and we'll see what we can do."

Where exactly he would go was a question she would leave for him to answer. Perhaps he could find some work on Saturn? Avoiding the Belters and OPA meant his options were somewhat limited as to where he could take passage. The time to worry about that would be when they reached the docks however.

For now, she had to get the work done before the Cydonia prepped for departure.

"You haven't told me why you want off Ceres so much. Are you wanted for something?"

That might explain the former to his UN Navy employment.

Alric likes this.