MARS Shore leave

Discussion in 'Open Roleplay' started by Neamheaglach, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Erich Hunter

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Well, none of my mates at Engineering will ever call you lot are just playing 'Hero'," Erich offered as his eyes focused on the bets coming through. This was going to be the last chance to bluff his way to a victory, but even as a sobering thought swashing through his head, Erich placed his cards down. Folding his hand. "-More like thieves taking advantage of a junior taking their first step in the Navy," Erich mocked a bitter tone, he nodded at his own failure and watched nearly half a paycheck disappear just like that.

With a shrug he slowly stood back up, "Well if it means anything, you guys may not think much of yourselves as 'Heroes' but to us kids-" Erich started giving those at the table a grateful nod, "-You guys give us a chance to dream," Erich explained.

With a wink, "And because of that the next round will be on me," Erich offered as he waved down a poor server trying to make his way to other guests. He offered a short 'Cheers' as he gave the server a large payment but doubted that it would be enough. He has seen heavy drinking before, but these guys almost seem inhuman and Erich could only imagine the damage they've done to their liver.

With a wave he said his good byes, and his eyes turned towards somewhere to grab a bite to eat.

Irkalla Kasai likes this.
  2. Irys Akane

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    That comment hadn't gone down well. Irys took a win off a pair of twos gracefully before almost immediately folding as the next round started. She wasn't sober enough to start running numbers but she wanted to appear decisive so she could rely on reading the other players for when they were bluffing.

"Felt like poking a bear?" Winiata asked as she folded herself. The Polynesian captain swung back the last of her beer and looked almost disappointed that Irys still had some of her drink left. Irys suspected the captain was going to order her a beer under the pretense that it was good for her, or some other nonsense.

She drew a little mental line in the sand. Two more drinks and she would take her leave. Tomorrow was for drinking and dancing and maybe scratching other itches if lucky. Somewhere we'll away from her crew.

She gave a shrug and drank some more of her mojito.

"I'm going to get another one of these after the next hand, another beer?" Irys asked to preempt her. It wouldn't be long before the marines reached that tipping point and started headbutting the walls.

Irkalla Kasai likes this.
  3. Irkalla Kasai

Irkalla Kasai That’s ‘Commander’ to you.

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Kasai gave a slow nod, swirling the whiskey about her glass with the pensive stare of the pleasantly inebriated.

“Exciting?” She barked a laugh, voice rough from alcohol. “Ain’t nothing fucking exciting about physics shitting the bed. I’d rather take a slow ship to Ceres.” She patted the metal counter with a wry smile. “You’re better off in home base, kid.”

Irkalla cast her gaze back at the game. The cocky engineer had thrown in the towel and left for greener pastures, but the rest were already starting a new hand.

“Kasai.”

She turned around to find Llywelyn offering her another chilled tumbler.

“For Hernandez.”
    “You spike it with horse tranq or something?”
    He puffed out a breath. “Like it’d do any good.”
    “Don’t worry, I’ll keep him in check.”

He just grumbled and disappeared to deal with another pissed customer.

“Looks like we lost a player,” she gestured at the table as she addressed the young man again. “Wanna join us for a couple rounds?”

@Aden Peterson

#43 Irkalla Kasai, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Erich Hunter likes this.
  4. Harland Drake

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "OK, we've been here long enough, we can go somewhere more to your liking. Want to try Cocoa?" Harland had his face right next to Priya's and still almost had to shout for her to hear him. Cocoa was a dance club that played a lot of salsa, tango, rumba, and other Latin dance music and was one of Priya's favorites. "Sure!" Priya shouted back. Harland took her hand and they descended back down the stairs.

5. Karen Ashoka

Karen Ashoka Pilot on the MCRN Atrax

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Karen was starting to get a little bored. Her friends were all abroad, either deployed or in another cities, and her usually successful tactic of hanging around looking bored had for once, not elicited any small-talk from the bars population. Fuck it...lets see whats going on downstairs...She thought to herself. Descending the gently spiraling staircase, she passed two levels full of people drinking and having fun whilst her way to the ground floor.

Stepping onto the polished granite floor she downed the last of her beverage before moving in the general direction of the bar, but not before spotting a familiar face. Strangely enough the whole ordeal in the desert had involved a work colleague, a mechanic known for his quirk of wearing a vintage pilots goggles and headgear from one of Earths early world wars. Surprisingly, it was missing tonight, he looked surprisingly good without the leather cap and goggles drawing attention away from his other features. Altering course she wandered over to him, watching as he paid a bar attendant for what looks like another round of drinks, his shoulders were a little slumped and eyeing the table behind him, she started to piece together what had just happened to the man. As he and the attendant wrapped up their business she lightly tapped him on the back. "Hey Ace, its uh...been a while. Look I saw you were involved in all that shit that went down in the desert and I just wanted to say...thanks. Can I uh...buy you a drink?"

@Erich Hunter

Erich Hunter likes this.
  6. Aden Peterson

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Perhaps you're right," Aden admitted, more to himself than anyone else. Yet he didn't truly believe it. He knew there must be more than this. More than Duty. More than the same trip from his home, through the Hyperloop, to his launch site, to the moon of Mars or the ships requiring resupply or the outposts within short range of Mars, or whatever else he was sent to, always within sight of good 'ol home.

He didn't say any of it, but his body language gave away he had slipped into a more thoughtful mood and posture. He quickly fixed himself when he was shaken back to reality. He tried not to look like he was caught off guard.

He considered the offer. On the one hand, he didn't know anyone at the table, he wasn't a stellar gambler, and he probably would look out of place in his lower-enlisted uniform among the rest.

But on the other, less sober hand, it would be good to socialize, and maybe if he was lucky he'd walk away only slightly poorer. Regardless of the reason, he decided to go for it.

"If you don't mind playing against an amateur, I'll chip in to boost someone's bank account tonight," he said. He grabbed his drink and stood up, following over to the table where he slid in, nodding around to the people there. Thankfully, the table automatically set up for him, as he awaited the next round.

"What's the game?"

7. Erich Hunter

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Erich nearly jumped as he turned around to meet a familiar face, feigning a heart attack he smiled and nodded at Karen with full intention to give her hug. Arms quickly clasped around before releasing just as quickly as he took a step back to address his friend and allow for some extra breathing space. Even if it hadn't been that long since their adventures out in the sands of Mars, Erich had finally understood that loss could happen at anytime for him.

"I couldn't really believe it myself you know," Erich agreed, "-You crashed my bird, and after I got a chance to check it out, so many feathers were plucked off it I was surprised it still flew, but only you could fly it, one of the best Pilots this side of the solar system." He added, with a wink he gestured for Karen to head over to the bar and find a couple of seats.

Rubbing the back of his neck Erich chuckled, trying to ease in the memories as he turned to face Karen again, "We're alive and we're healthy, if you want to thank someone, thank whatever craziness is running this galaxy that somehow keeps the both of us alive," Erich suggested with a weary laugh and sigh.

Looking away, Erich offered a shrug, "-You know, I'm being assigned to a ship and hopefully keep it flying through space," He said, giving Karen a glance he raised an eyebrow in question "And you? Still flying and soaring high Karen?"

@Karen Ashoka

8. Karen Ashoka

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Karen laughed cordially at Erich's light-hearted prod at her ability to somehow attract bad luck in the form of explosive warheads, however he had previously fixed many of her birds and if anyone could sledge her flying skills, it was him. They found a table near the bar and sat down, Karen swirling her nearly empty drink around the slender glass in her hand.

"Hah, Ace you always somehow find the smoothest way to turn an insult into a complement. But I'll take it...I did feel sorry for that bird, she was so new and shiny when it rolled off the airstrip and having those grubby nomad hands on her sensitive bits probably freaked out the brass a bit...But shes back in my hands...well...will be soon. I guess they just want to make sure she doesn't go into meltdown while flying over a city or something." Karen cocked an eyebrow at the thought, it hadn't even occurred to her, and it explained why the moment she touched back down on the tarmac at Persephone the base security locked the craft down immediately, having an unknown nuclear reactor powering it was one hell of a security concern. She took another sip and turned her attention back to Erich, who was thankfully oblivios to her little introspective moment.

"Whoa you've been reassigned? Damn son that's great! Which ship you are joining? Either way they're gonna be lucky as hell with you keeping an eye on them...As for me...The Atrax and I have been reassigned to the Jupiter fleet...I guess the brass didn't want me anywhere near Tanis as they bring them into the fold...and probably want to see how a ship like Atrax can handle space combat so...yeah, I ship out towards the end of the week." Karen was surprised at the sound of excitement in her voice, she had been so caught up about the whole situation in the desert she had completely neglected the thought of finally heading out into the 'verse. She was about to see Jupiter, Ganymede, the outer planet and all the danger and adventure they offered, a chill rippled through her body, not of fear but anticipation.

Erich Hunter likes this.
  9. Erich Hunter

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Erich wasn't sure if it was the excitement or the anxiety of going up into space, but he knew his friend was excited at the idea of flying through the vastness of space. He knew that flying in atmosphere and flying in the void of space felt completely different, but the dangers of both felt similar when either flying on Mars or in space. "Well you won't have to worry about dust in space, just the good ole'boys in blue," Erich offered with a small laugh as he drank the rest of his cup. All that dust, gone, just gone!

"The Atrax will fly beautifully no doubt, and things will sort itself out here on Mars eventually," Erich added, though not sounding quite as convinced with the whole Tanis and bringing them into the MCR. "-But I'll be on Jupiter Fleet as well, just haven't been given my ship assignment. They're probably trying to find someone to replace me when I leave off planet," Erich guessed, a quick shrug and a lopsided grin.

Erich leaned forward and gave Karen a nod, "-So, how about a bet? First one to get homesick has to buy the other a drink?" Erich asked, his smile growing slightly. Even in spite of what he's heard so far, with Eros and the growing tension and the real possibility of war, Erich saw no harm with a small bet. I mean afterall who won't miss home?

@Karen Ashoka

Karen Ashoka likes this.
  10. Karen Ashoka

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "You're on!" She said cheerfully as they clinked glasses. It was good to know that even though she would be as far from home as she had ever been, the Jupiter fleet would have at least one friendly face in it. "Hey, if I fly enough sorties out there in the black, you might even end up patching the Atrax up anyway!" She took another sip and was pleasantly surprised by the light headed feeling it was giving her. Another one of these and she might have to call it a night. "You know...the Atrax was designed to have a crew compliment of three whilst in space...I might be able to put in a request for an engineer. But I can understand if you want to work on a bigger ship. More opportunity, more things to fix...people to talk to..." That was one thing she was not looking forward to, the isolation. Hopefully she'll get to spend most of her time docked with a bigger ship and have people to talk to.

@Erich Hunter

11. Harland Drake

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Harland and Priya had just made their way to the bottom floor of the club when it started. Drunken insults being hurled, goading back and forth, and then it all fell apart.

Two enlisted members from different ships had been getting into it, with not much, if any, restraint from their shipmates. Then chairs were being pushed back, the two stood, and were in each others' faces. It started with shoving, as it usually did. Then, one of the men landed a sucker-punch. That got the rest of the crewmen on their feet. In his rage at being hit, the man didn't realize someone was trying to hold him back, from escalating the fight further. In his drunk and rage-filled state he swung an elbow back, and it connected with the person's left eye. A Lieutenant Commander's left eye. A Lieutenant Commander not from his ship.

"Shit..." Harland said. "Let's get out of here." he took Priya's arm and walked her as far away and around the mob as he could and he headed for the door. Out of the corner of his eye he could see the bartender reach down and hit the silent alarm that would call the MPs. Being a regular spot for calls, they were never far away. As Harland and Priya got a couple blocks away the first of the MPs were already showing up and flooding through the door.

12. Aden Peterson

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Alex had just gotten comfortable in his seat when the bar erupted into chaos. It appeared that the drinks had finally gotten saturated enough to cause whatever impulse control that was left in the building to depart.

It wasn't long before the MPs would be swooping down, but there was no way that Alex could make it to the door in time. Thankfully, however, he was still in control of his faculties and coordination, more than the others. He could probably hold his own. He thanked everything that he still knew better than to pick a fight with the MPs.

He quickly located the focal point of the fight and sighed internally. Of course, it was his fleet mates in the Navy. It seemed sometimes that liquor was a lot more potent if you were just getting off of deployment. Regardless of the reason, Alex quickly retreated from his location to a wall, looking out for anyone else who was still cognizant of where they were. Either that or a good way to extricate himself from the bar through means other than being thrown or carried out. It probably didn't help his chances that he was wearing MCRN colors still, or that he wasn't from any of the ships that had come in and so didn't have anyone he knew to watch his back.

Tonight had taken a turn for the worse, indeed. At least he hadn't lost any scrip to the poker sharks.