1. Wild Frontier

The Wild Frontier has opened. Stake your claim as we enter Chapter 5 and a new era for the Expanse RP!

Dismiss Notice

Reprogramming

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Eric Walsh, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Eric Walsh

He looked up at her for a moment and shrugged. "Gotta use em or the terminal will turn to slag."

The first time he'd tried it things hadn't worked out so well, but since then he'd had many occasions to practice his craft. He had found that people like him were always necessary, especially in times like these. Earth and Mars were everywhere, the OPA was growing as well and that meant sneaking around was getting harder and harder.

Eric pulled himself up and wandered the deck of the ship, looking around for a moment and then glancing back towards the two others. He smiled slightly, sheepishly even.

"Uhh." The Cigararette between his lips wiggled slightly. "Might wanna show me where the Terminal is."

A small laugh escaped him. "Might help."

Violet likes this.
  2. Antumbralite

Antumbralite Keith Caileanach

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Keith chuckled along with Eric. "Aye, sorry about that. Used to us just helping ourselves to everything around here." He stood up with a wince and motioned towards the cockpit. "Easiest way is to plug into the dash. These old models aren't too fancy, ya?"

He let Eric lead so he could read Violet's response.

>You got it.

When they entered the cockpit, Keith pointed out the administrative terminal. "You can get set up there. I'll need to adjust access permissions in the meantime. I know I don't like coyos looking over my shoulder when I work, so I'll leave you to it. Holler if you need me, keya?"

He stopped by the makeshift desk he had set up for himself in The Albatross' small workshop. He collected his portable console and a handgun hidden in a storage bin that was doubling as a desk leg.

When he made it back to the mess hall, Keith tucked the gun into his waistband before joining Violet at the table once again. "Just in case," he explained before unlocking the system for Eric, his fingers jittering across the keys.

Violet likes this.
  3. Violet

Violet Mackenzie

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Dinnae think that's gonna be necessary, Keith but... the sentiment is appreciated." She smirked back at him.

She leaned back in her seat to peer further down the hall towards the bridge of the ship where Eric was working, listening carefully for a few moments. In truth, she wasn't entirely sure of her decision to bring the drunken Terran back to the ship. What if he did try to cause trouble? Or if he tripped some sort of alarm? Or if he just fried everything and left them stranded with their thumbs up their asses? It was a fairly risky chance to take, one that he hoped wouldn't immediately backfire on her and the crew.

They still had a few days to work things out before they had that meet up Keith had told them about. Everything would be fine. "Should we be keepin' a closer eye on him?" She asked Keith quietly.

4. Eric Walsh

They probably didn't need to.

Eric was a great many things, a liar, a cheater at cards, not very honest when it came to paying his share of the bar tab, but he wasn't a true criminal. He had absolutely no interest in screwing people over, particularly when they'd gone out of their way to help him out of a jam. He was generally a good guy.

Generally.

There was a time or two when things got a little too tempting, but right now he was just happy to do something he was good at for a change. The oddly discolored hand terminal flipped around in his hand as Eric accessed the small computer hidden inside of the wall, a latice of crystal and glass showing up before him.

A low whistle escaped his lips. "Wow."

His first guess had been right, this ships systems really were ancient.

Violet likes this.
  5. Antumbralite

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Keith gave Violet a Belter's shrug. "I feel like we should, but... I was that unknown character once, and you gave me a shot. Not to say that he isn't trouble; I guess I just trust your judgement, sasa ke?"

He slid his console off to the side. "If he goes digging somewhere outside of the registry, we'll know." Keith looked at his hands, curling them into fists to keep them from trembling. "It will pass. Withdrawal is pashang irritating," he commented, looking back at Violet. "How are you doing?"

Violet likes this.
  6. Violet

Violet Mackenzie

Character Biography:
    Bio
    She got up from her seat and moved around the table so that she was standing behind Keith. The question that he had redirected towards her was a difficult one to answer, and she hoped the movement would buy herself some time before she had to speak. Curiously, she peered over his shoulder so that she could watch whatever it was he was monitoring on the little screen.

"Just have a rather annoying headache and feeling a little dizzy. It's nae somethin' too serious, for now" She murmured softly. "I'm more worried about you."

She reached over his shoulder towards the screen, a slight frown on her lips as she was trying to figure out exactly what she was looking at. "Is this like... a sort of Big Brother program that you've installed in the system?"

7. Eric Walsh

Eric quickly found himself wondering just how this ship was even still flying. The diagonostics were working perfectly fine, and although he didn't access too much of any system he could tell that this vessel had seen better days.

It was an unusual fact for him. Eric was used to newer ships, UN Navy Frigates and private vessels that had been built only a year or two ago. The Veri had been constructed only six months before Eric had first stepped aboard, a fact that it's Captain had been more than boastful of when he'd been there.

This ship though?

Well it didn't seem to have the same qualities.

A shrug rolled over his shoulders. The older systems were easier to hack into, mostly because they didn't have the same security measures as the newer vessels. People hadn't always been concerned with the same problems as they were now. Without much hesitation Eric plugged his discolored hand terminal into the small access port.

He quietly began to hum to himself as he set to work.

8. Antumbralite

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Keith looked up at Violet as she stood beside him. Given his height, he was still close to eye-level with her, even sitting down. He smiled sympathetically. "If you need anything, you let me know, ya?" He appreciated Violet's concern for him, but he knew the withdrawal had to get worse before it got better.

He paused at her question. "Big Beratna?" He was not sure what that meant. "It's a monitoring program, nothing invasive. Nothing I would use on you, if that's what you're worried about."

Keith stood from the stool, stretching out his bad leg. "Should we go check in on him? Otherwise, I'm going back to my little project downstairs."

Eric Walsh and Violet like this.
  9. Violet

Violet Mackenzie

Character Biography:
    Bio
    It amused her that Keith had gotten to the root of her concern so easily and she wrinkled her nose up at him with a warm smile as he stood up. If Keith didn't seem too worried about their guest rooting around in their systems too much, she didn't see the need to keep him from whatever it was he really wanted to be doing.

She shook head a little and gestured towards the ladder that led back down to area he had been working in earlier. "Nae, it's alright. I can go check on him. I ken that you've got other things you'd like t'be doin', rather than babysittin'."

She started to make her way up to the bridge but paused and turned back to Keith with a wry smile. "But, if'n you hear me scream real loud... could y'come runnin'?"

With a playful wink and a Belter shrug, Violet ducked off into the bridge of their ageing shuttle. Her magboots thudded softly against the metal floor as she walked up behind Eric. She leaned a shoulder against the wall, arms crossed over her chest. "How are things goin' up here, lad?" She asked lightly.

Eric Walsh likes this.
  10. Eric Walsh

Eric half turned as Violet entered the room.

"Well enough." He said with a slight smile, one of the wires clamped between his teeth. Changing around the ships signature was easy enough, he just needed to get access to the initial system and make sure he didn't fry any of the actual components.

In his left hand he held one of the smaller components, his fingers gently tucking it just beneath the Discolored Hand terminal that he had in his right hand. For a moment he looked down at the device, glancing up at Violet for just a few seconds before looking back to his terminal.

"I know you don't want to talk about where you got this ship." He said. "But do you know how old it is?"

Eric was pretty sure he could dig through the logs to find out, but that might not be so welcome.

Violet likes this.
  11. Violet

Violet Mackenzie

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Violet smiled slightly at Eric. He looked more than a little ridiculous with the bundle of wires, one of which was in his mouth. So far, he hadn't set anything on fire or scrambled a system yet, so things seemed to be going fairly well.

She walked over to a console that Eric wasn't working on and hopped up on top of it. She leaned forward, resting her elbows on her knees as she watched him work. "She's about 35 years old, I think." Her head tilted slightly to the side as she tried to think back on the manuals she had read through when they had first acquired the vessel.

Always eager to learn something new, Violet watched intently, making mental notes about the sort of equipment he was using and how he used it. "Askin' so you know what sort of security network you're dealin' with? Or if the hardware is gonna fry itself if you so much as look at it wrong?"

Eric Walsh likes this.
  12. Eric Walsh

He let out a whistle. The ship was older than he was, probably the oldest he'd ever actually worked on. He mused for a few seconds, taking the crystal he'd been holding it in his hand and inspecting it for a moment. He noted that a few of the wires were half twisted and burned, but that was likely due to age and not anything he'd done.

"It's all pretty easy." Eric said almost nonchalantly.

The words were true enough in a way, sure it was complex and the system would have fried itself if some amateur messed with it, but Eric was used to dealing with this sort of thing. One simply had to know what they were doing.

"I don't think anyone's touched it..." He thought for a second. "Well probably in thirty five years."

Eric gently reached out and replaced the crystal in the small tray. "Usually there's no reason to mess with this stuff."

He gave Violet a pointed look.

13. Antumbralite

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Keith made his way back down into the cargo hold to finish the re-wiring project. He trusted both Violet and his security programming to handle their guest, but he stayed alert should that change. He picked up the soldering tool and resumed where he left off. If Eric found a way to exploit Keith's handiwork, he would take great offense. He knew he was not the best in the system, but he liked to think he was among the greats. Thinking of someone besting his abilities wounded his pride.

He was nearing the end of the work at hand and began to think ahead to the next item on his mental to-do list. Most of the upcoming retrofits needed parts they did not have access to here -- he had the work lined up at Pallas Station once the Tycho job was completed. Figuring out the transponder issues was one of the items Keith could address now, but Eric was taking point on that one. Keith was having trouble recalling his remaining options. Really, he was having trouble focusing all together.

No sooner did he finish re-wiring and putting the bulkhead plates back in place, Keith began to sweat profusely; a cold, feverish sweat. Feeling lightheaded, he leaned against the bulkhead, sliding down to the deck. "Ugh... sabaka..." He rested his head in his hands, waiting for the discomfort to pass. His head started swirling, yet he could not decide if it was better or worse when he closed his eyes.

After a few minutes, Keith felt well enough to stand. He checked his console, seeing that Eric's progress had not set off any alarms. Yet. Keith decided he would join them in the cockpit, though the journey seemed to take forever between his limping and dizziness. He needed more Sub-Zero, but likely needed a detox even more.

Eric Walsh and Mariko Harper like this.
  14. Violet

Violet Mackenzie

Character Biography:
    Bio
    She smiled innocently to Eric when he gave her that accusatory look, shrugging her shoulders in a noncommital way. "It's nae my fault that she was so busted when I got her." She chuckled lowly, shaking her head. When she had first commandeered the ship with Dieter and Keith, the seals hadn't even worked properly and the ship couldn't pressurize. The Albatross had certainly come a long way since then.

When the Belter lumbered into the cockpit her brow furrowed in concern and she hopped down from the console to walk over to him. "Keith? Is everythin' alright? You look awful." She murmured softly to him, reaching up to press a hand against his forehead. He looked pale and uneasy on his feet. He was in bad shape, and she knew that it was at least partially her fault. She would have to figure out a way to help ease his discomfort while he dealt with the withdrawals, and she hoped that her body wouldn't react in a similar fashion.

15. Antumbralite

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Keith smiled weakly at Violet. "Aye, just having a bad hair day, sesata," he replied. The truth was, getting his hands on all sorts of unsavory things was as easy as blinking. Yet, after giving the last of his Sub-Zero to Violet to buy her critical time until they made it to Tycho for her surgery, he felt a mental and physical disgust. Putting the poison in his own body was one thing; putting it in hers had struck him with a guilt that was inspiring him to kick his dependency.

He looked past Violet to Eric. "How's it going over there?"

Mariko Harper likes this.
  16. Eric Walsh

He looked between the two of them for a moment. Briefly he wondered if there was something more between them that he wasn't quite privy to, though he banished the thought almost immediately. There was no real reason to speculate on that front, mostly because he likely wouldn't be around long enough for it to actually matter.

"It's going alright." Eric said as he pulled another Crystal from the tray.

He gave both of them another quick glance. This ship really was old enough to make most of the security systems completely obsolete. It made his estimates of a few days completely wrong, but he doubted that either Keith or Violet would mind that very much. He was still a stranger after all.

"Shouldn't take me too long." He said. "You'll need to think of a new name though."

The comment was made almost with an absent mind. "Otherwise it'll be easy to trace."

Violet likes this.
  17. Violet

Violet Mackenzie

Character Biography:
    Bio
    She tucked a few loose strands of hair behind her ear after pulling her hand back from Keith's forehead. As her attention drifted over to the earther while he was still working, she tucked her hands into the back pockets of her trousers. "Albatross." She answered matter-of-factly. It's what they had been calling the ship for the last week or so, they might as well make it official. The name was fitting for the old bird anyways, she was their lucky charm.

If Eric paid close attention to the original name of the ship, it was just the generic serial number that had been assigned to the craft at the manufacturer. "I appreciate all the work, lad." She added after a few moments.

Eric Walsh likes this.
  18. Eric Walsh

Eric let out a quiet hum in affirmation. "Sure sure."

Who was he to judge per the name?

The crystal he had plucked from the tray was set beneath his discolored Hand Terminal, a quick flash of something erupted and then he let out a quiet whistle. He held up the crystal for a moment, inspecting it before finally putting it back into the tray where it belonged. Next he pulled the wires free.

"There." He said quietly. "That's the tag."

A small alert showed up on the screen, then flashed for a second as it prompted him for input. "And here's the name."

Without another word Eric began to punch in the name that Violet had given him, going back once or twice when he accidentally spelled it wrong until he finally had it right.

Violet likes this.
  19. Antumbralite

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Keith's eyebrows raised up. He moved past Violet and stood next to Eric. "I'll be damned..." Sure, Keith was a little disappointed that he had not been the one to resolve the transponder issues, but he tried not to let ego control his work. It was an opportunity to learn. "How did you do it?" Keith asked with genuine curiosity. "I mean, I obviously loosened it up for you," he joked after a pause.

20. Violet

Violet Mackenzie

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Violet laughed softly at Keith's last remark and she gently nudged his side with her elbow, teasing him. "Dinnae be hard on yourself, beratna. We've had a rough few days. Time has nae been on our side, eh?"

There was another pause and she tilted her head slightly, rummaging into the pocket of her jacket to produce her hand terminal. The kid had done the job and he seemed to have impressed Keith, which meant that he had earned his pay.

"What's your information, lad, so I can transfer the money into your account?"
    She asked, glancing up at him as she pulled up the necessary program to conduct the transaction.