1. Danger! Excitement! Money! Adventure Awaits!

Dismiss Notice

Discussion Proposals on revitalising the board

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cpt_Buttersworth, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Cpt_Buttersworth

Cpt_Buttersworth Moderating the shipping lanes

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Hello everyone,

So I'm sure those of you that remain have noticed the board has slowed to a crawl and is essentially dead in the water at this point.

It seems like a shame, to have come so far and built so much only for it to die with a whimper.

Can we have an open & honest discussion on what may revitalise this space? We want to attract both new and old members/players, as well as encourage regular posting.

Short of actually paying for advertising, what are some of the options we have?

2. Josephus Miller

Something of a consolidation. Right now we have a lot of unfinished threads, and I think if we just have one or maybe two threads it would be fine. Maybe an event where we all make new characters and try to settle a new world? I don't know but I think everyone's just getting tired of making a story and being all alone in it.

Solaris likes this.
  3. Jakob Aragorn

Jakob Aragorn No allegiance. No oath. No matter what.

Character Biography:
    Bio
    For example, this is my sub-account (character) Jakob Aragorn. He's currently on his way to Nautilus to drop off some injured soldiers (Mars is too unstable and he doesn't trust New Tycho), but after that he would be free to assist with a colony mission. He has a small freighter, the Mobius, that can haul food and other supplies. It is also lightly armed.

Solaris likes this.
  4. HSAR

Perhaps a consolidation a good idea. Concentrate those who remain in a story that can be driven the way this board works best.

Solaris likes this.
  5. Cpt_Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Okay, so a thread that unifies everyone, all the splintered factions & players into one thread to get everyone interested again?

How would you like this thread to look? Some sort of existential threat? A big group journey into the unknown? Everyone's character hanging back sipping tea?

Solaris likes this.
  6. Josephus Miller

The second and third options sound good to me. We already had the first one with A Test of Strength. And also I want to develop my colony without facing existential threats.

Solaris likes this.
  7. Her Manus

Her Manus Central VI of the Purgatory Nightclub

Discord:
    Her Manus#7927
    well as you all know i already stated my issue when i stopped participating, i think not much has changed about the issues there. A consolidation could help but the issue is see with that is that afterwards it'll split off again like it always does and like it really should be, but with the level of activity we have that is unsustainable. I also think we may have a problem with freedom. Everyone being able to do whatever the fuck they want makes it hard for me at least to really feel like i am writing inside the expanse universe,

We are lacking two things in my eyes

1. A streamlined story, we've just been trying to drive it forward somehow but everyone in another direct, consolidating all the threads would be goo for that, but we also need to plan ahead and have at least about 3-4 more threads laid out

2. A strong "game master" so to say, i always prefer this because there is someone who makes sure that the story goes the way its intended to be. Right now whenever we had an event, especially after the rings opened everyone tried to do their thing and push their agenda forward, best illustrated by the sudden spark of independent nations that everyone was trying to build. We as players just had too mcuh power.
    It would be best if we ahd someone who was regularly available and who would work on balancing the whole thing a bit. Best would be someone who wouldnt participate themselves, just like a GM in DnD champaigns for example.

I understand that that breaks the spirit of the board, but without any activity whatsoever the spirit is just dead.

Solaris likes this.
  8. Cpt_Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    1. Agreed, the LoO thread is heading in that direction though a collaborative approach towards a unified narrative should be taken. We can discuss what we'd like to see in the discord channel #spoiler_rp_plotting.

2. Also agreed, I have been trying to make my characters and interests take a back foot since aToS and focusing on making the board more interactive within existing settings. I like to participate however, so I can't help with that, though I am trying to be as impartial as possible. I believe this will be more achievable once (1) is worked out.

Thank you for your input @Her Manus , it is highly appreciated.

9. Shane Rivers

I know I'm pretty new here, but I have participated in two other RP servers, both of which had one thing in common that I think kept them alive. That would be that they both had a central location that characters focused on: UA for the Hero Academia server, and the Garreg Mach Monastery for the Fire Emblem one. This meant that, even though there were characters besides students in both, the game had a central focus. The Expanse is an appropriately expansive setting, and while I think it's awesome to have freedom to do anything, it might help to consolidate to a common location. I think we have a unique opportunity at this point in the Expanse's history that hasn't been present in the setting's structure up to this point (in the show, at least), which is New Tycho. I think setting that station as a literal hub of the narrative threads going out would help people to have a common ground to come back to and almost reset at after completing threads or events. And, since it is inherently connected to a massive number of places, it still allows characters to venture out for private threads, or whatever. While that does restrict some of the freedoms people might have in character plots, it still leaves total freedom of background and occupation, as far as I can tell. Of course, this is just an idea based on my previous experiences, but I thought it might be worth voicing.

Cpt_Buttersworth likes this.
  10. Cpt_Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    This is an excellent suggestion, thank you for contributing.

The two active threads, Land of Opportunity & A Confederacy of Dunces are both currently situated on New Tycho, I hoped it would encourage more interaction. However so far, not so great. That being said they're both (comparatively) recent threads and the majority of threads previous to that were all located in various frontier systems.

11. Shane Rivers

I do think it will probably take time for the focus to shift. I know that both of those other games also required that a person's first character be a student (in other words, active in the central location), but also allowed you to make additional characters, of course. I think that sort of helped keep that location active, and it didn't feel unfair, since those locations were such a focus of the fiction, anyway. Maybe you could ask that people (or, maybe just new people, if necessary) have a character assigned--or otherwise active--around New Tycho before branching out into the presumably less concentrated areas of the setting? That way, people could have their Earth-based UN politician that may not have access to many other characters, but they'd also have someone on New Tycho where the action is happening at--more or less--all times. I think that was their main method of keeping those central locations active, and it seemed to help. Unfortunately, this would require people to be pretty far along in the show, or risk spoilers and general unfamiliarity with the circumstance of the game. I admit I'm not entirely sure what the answer is to that point.

12. b o o t

Perhaps more worldbuilding or conworlding would be beneficial to revitalization so that new writers would gain more footing when they read through the wikis and the entries. It sort of paints the current setting and sets groundpoints for what certain organizations or planets look like, making imagination and immersion easier for new writers and keeping them hooked without demanding much imagination from them.