1. Wild Frontier

The Wild Frontier has opened. Stake your claim as we enter Chapter 5 and a new era for the Expanse RP!

Dismiss Notice

LFG - Campaign Pleiades Lament - An Expanse RPG

Discussion in 'Roleplay Discussion' started by Scythen, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Scythen

Discord:
    Scythen#8777
    Hello, Expanse fans!

For those of you interested in something slightly different, I am starting a discord/forum based role-playing campaign based on the Expanse novels, set just after the events of “Nemesis Games”.

SPOILER ALERT: If you have not read the Expanse novels up to “Nemesis Games”, this thread can be viewed as one big spoiler. (I am looking at you SyFy/Amazon series-viewers! ) If you don’t want MAJOR plot reveals… stop reading now. (Or better yet... do yourself a favor and READ THE SERIES!)

This will work a little differently than the other threads on this site. This thread exists as its own separate time-line, and are not a part of the shared alternate time-line that most of the forum posts on this site are set in. Also, while there may be a lot of back and forth in private channels or chat to discuss and agree on exactly what is happening in a scene… the actual forum posts where the story will be shared will be written by one of the characters taking part in the scene.

These scenes are collaborative efforts. The GM, and all of the players with characters present in the scene will have input on how the scene plays out. When this part is done, we’ll have a bare-bones synopsis of that scene. This part is not very different from any other play-by-forum RPG. What is different is that one of the players will get nominated to be the Point-of-View character. That player will flesh out the synopsis, and write something that people would actually want to read. After that scene gets posted… we rinse and repeat except a different player will get nominated to the be POV character (this helps spread out the work). The pace of writing will be slower, but I think each individual post will end up being more substantial.

That’s the plan, anyways.

There are basically two modes of play, based on how much time you have to contribute. The story will revolve around a central set of characters. These characters would be analogous to the crew of the Rocinante. These players would have to contribute regularly in the synopsis construction… (probably in the form of participating in a discord thread). This takes as long as it takes… but if we find a good time where multiple people can be on at the same time… this could go very fast. The second mode of play will be for people who cannot contribute nearly as often. Players are invited to play “movers and shakers” analogous to Fred Johnson, Chrisjen Avasarala, or Anderson Dawes. These characters, for the most part, act at a distance. They set schemes into motion and react to events. They can be patrons, politicians, villains, industrialists, scientists… whatever. Depending on what role they take… they’ll either take part in their own scene… or have an effect on someone else’s scene. These scenes might get played out as foreshadowing or as a flashback.

All of the main characters will be starting on Luna, looking for a position on board a departing ship, and possibly looking for a fresh start / escape from their past lives. For reasons that will be made apparent in the introduction, such berths will be very hard to find. Five or six such positions have been posted on an “underground” job posting site, a strong indication that SOMETHING is not quite on the up and up.

Why the character was on Luna in the first place, why they are looking to leave, and how they found out about the illegal job posting site will be up to each individual player... and should be answered as part of the character's backstory. When things are ready to start, I will post the information from the “underground posting site”. Anyone interested should send me an in-character resume (and any out-of-character notes they feel are relevant). These resumes will be posted in the user information of sub-accounts which will be created for each character, as a way to allow readers to become familiar.

Once the campaign starts... additional players are still welcome to join, either as main characters (up to certain limits) or as supporting characters. The only caveat is that it might take some time to integrate new main characters into the story depending on what's happening at the time.

If you are interested in participating or have any questions, please Direct Message either @Scythen (the GM) or @Raziel (the Discord/Forum Admin).

Tetrarch, Danger and HSAR like this.
  2. Thompson Jacob

Thompson Jacob Star Helix Senior Detective

I better continue reading then

3. Scythen

Discord:
    Scythen#8777
    How far in are you?

4. Thompson Jacob

Thompson Jacob Star Helix Senior Detective

Almost at the end of calibans war
    Would be much further if i actually took some time and read

5. Scythen

Discord:
    Scythen#8777
    I technically haven't read the books, either. I did listen to them on Audible. The narrator is pretty good, and his voice for Avasarala is awesome. If you have a long commute... it is a pretty good way of consuming the books.

Caliban's War is probably my favorite of the series, as it introduces two of my favorite characters (Bobbi and Avasarala). Enjoy!

6. Scythen

Discord:
    Scythen#8777
    Campaign Introduction

The year is 2360CE, and humanity as a whole have known they are not alone in the universe for 10 years. The Protomolecule created the Ring and has given humanity access to the “Thirteen Hundred Worlds”. At first, humanity’s future looked bright. However, there are factions which are unhappy with how events are playing out. With literally thousands of more suitable planets available, the Mars terraforming project is doomed to fail. Rumors of a missing ships and a Martian coup are widespread. Some of these rumors were verified when a portion of the missing Martian warships end up in the possession of the Free Navy. They are a faction of the OPA with real concerns that there would not be a place for Belters in the new paradigm created by the Ring Network. They have made a desperate play for control of the entire Solar System. Their first act of war was to drop stealthed asteroids on Earth, destroying the planet’s fragile biosphere. There is talk that humanity itself might be on the brink of a slow extinction.

It is has now been two weeks since the asteroids have struck Earth. The planet is in the beginning stages of a “nuclear winter”. The presence of fusion reactors on Earth means that not everyone will freeze, but there is going to be huge food shortages. The MCR government is in complete disarray, unable to even inventory the assets of the MCRN. The UN, now based on Luna, is fully absorbed in around-the-clock rescue and humanitarian missions. During these two weeks, the population of the Lunar habitation domes has more than doubled. Environmental systems are being pushed beyond their maximums. Acting Secretary-General Chrisjen Avasarala has declared that no further refugees would be permitted on Luna. In addition, any non-residents of Earth/Luna have been requested to leave Luna as soon as possible to help relieve the overworked environmental systems. It is widely believed that it is just a matter of time before these requests become mandatory. It is also widely believed that these efforts will not be enough, and that Luna, too, will collapse. Berths on outgoing ships are in high demand, as people would rather risk interdiction by the Free Navy than be trapped on Luna when the environmental systems fail. Actual positions on-board such vessels are being filled with no compensation being offered… and there are many times more qualified people looking for such positions than there are positions to fill.

Applications

Please send a PM to @Scythen if you would like to participate, or if you have any questions.

You only need to submit an in-character resume if you intend on taking a "major role". The first scene each major character will write will be about how they stumbled across the job posting, why they are on Luna, and what forces in their life has driven them to apply for such a position.

For major and minor characters, a good start would be following the character creation guidelines already in use on this site. If you have any background information that you want to keep secret from the audience, make a note of that so we can discuss the best way to handle that. These are your characters... and I am open to supporting any reasonable background. The more details you give me, the better story we can make.

#6 Scythen, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Her Manus and HSAR like this.
  7. Scythen

Discord:
    Scythen#8777