EARTH Let Them Eat Cake

Discussion in 'Open Roleplay' started by Lucrezia Dionisi, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Lucrezia Dionisi

Lucrezia Dionisi Hell in High Heels

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Whatever Mrs. Muwangwa knew or didn’t know hardly mattered in the end. Far as the public record was concerned, Miss Dionisi was squeaky clean. Spit-and-polish, even. Only fools dare breathe the rarefied air of political Himalayas without making sure they won’t choke on it.

“Offense? Nonsense, Edé. I’d never have the time to do my job if I saw it fit to judge everyone who came here just for the fine wine.” She smiled back just as serenely, unperturbed by those eyes of charcoal black. The proverbial stench of blood did nothing but whet her appetite—

and fortunately, the waiter materialised once again at their table, directing his lackeys as they replaced their empty plates with the next course in a casual display of legerdemain.

She let Niamh’s comment wash her features with sobriety. What others might mistake for a polite aversion of her gaze was simply her italian roots urging her to assess the fantastic dish before her. A brief count of time and account of the food later, Lucrezia raised her eyes again.

After wetting her lips with another sip of the admittedly delightful vintage, she followed the statement up with the only question that was both appropriate and apropos. “What kind of measures will have to be taken to ameliorate the worst of it?”

Confessing herself ignorant without overtly stating the fact. Lucrezia gave herself a mental pat on the back as she carried the first bite of the charred duck breast and beet puree to her waiting mouth.

@Dolores Muwangwa | @Niamh O'Rourke | @Hilde Matson

2. Niamh O'Rourke

Niamh O'Rourke Protogen Researcher

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Caught on the spot, Niamh managed to stop herself from giving a casual shrug. Her mind scrambled to briefings and OPORDs. "Measures? Well it varies depending on the exact situation of course but time is always of the essence. That's why an impact assessment has to be made to determine the level of response needed". Without realising her hands had begun to count off on her fingers.

"The main priority is containment, to stop it spreading further and minimising the damage. That will probably involve using dedicated biocides on vegetation in the area as well as culling any fauna". This could extend to humans too caught in the fallout zone. "I know it sounds harsh but you have to consider it like a firebreak. You don't want this getting more out of hand so a cordon sanitaire of sorts is always necessary. Some of the media will no doubt be giving out about the military being involved but they're the only ones disciplined enough for this, local law enforcement will be out of their depth". A sip of wine to wet her lips before she continued.

She let out a breath while her mind searched for the right word. "As for the actual site, there's certain countermeasures that can be used. Some proven, some experimental no doubt. It won't be pretty but it never is. We've come a long way since those 20th century debacles like Chernobyl". She gave a smile, "Forgive me, I went on a bit long there, I was always told it's rude in company".

@Lucrezia Dionisi @Dolores Muwangwa @Hilde Matson

3. Dolores Muwangwa

Dolores Muwangwa Captain, UNN Thomas Cochrane

Character Biography:
    Bio
    “Don’t worry. We’re quite used to it.” Dolores replied with a wry smirk, speaking up for the first time since the new arrivals had taken their seats at the table. It wasn’t so much a case of nervousness, her wife was filling that particular role at the table, rather she was leaving the preliminary conversation to her parents the same way a general might send ahead scouts. She wasn’t her mother, she couldn’t just say whatever she wanted and expect everybody else to accommodate her. She was a minor military functionary. To people like these, she was less than nothing. So one has to survey the board. See what you’re working with, who you’re working with. See which way the power’s flowing, and make sure you don’t get swept away by the current.

“I’ve seen a fair few containments myself, over the course of my service. Of course in space, everything’s simultaneously much simpler and yet infinitely more complicated. Any number of things can happen on a ship or a station that might require a quarantine. Disease outbreaks, radiation leaks, one time we spent an entire month simply tracking down a consignment of tainted food pellets that had spread halfway...” She looked down, and saw Natalia’s slender hand on her forearm, looked up to see a gentle, faintly chastising smile on her wife’s pale face. “Sorry about that,” She gave a small, self-effacing smile, and sat straight. “I’m sure the last thing you all want at such a prestigious event is to listen to an old sailor rattle off war stories.” Likening herself to the image of a crusty old sailor from Earth’s ancient maritime past was such an absurd concept that Dolores herself couldn’t help but chuckle. “Do you get off-world much, Ms O’Rourke?” She asked, trying to shift the conversation in a slightly different direction. “Or are you only involved in remedying terrestrial catastrophes?”

@Niamh O'Rourke @Lucrezia Dionisi

4. Niamh O'Rourke

Niamh O'Rourke Protogen Researcher

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Niamh took a sip at her glass with an appreciative sigh. She nodded along as Dolores spoke. "Well yes it's much less of a nuisance in space. Much harder for those who might have been exposed to just commandeer a vehicle and make for the horizon". She fidgeted with her nails before looking back up "I'd envy being able to just seal bulkhead doors until the necessary procedures have been taken">

She shook her head, "Not much beyond Luna. We have facilities beyond it of course but I prefer working down the well. Space disagrees with me, I find the few days adjustment a bit much. I'm just hoping they improve those anti-nausea meds".

Lucrezia Dionisi likes this.