SPACE First Excursion

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Damian Slavko, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Damian Slavko

Damian Slavko Captain of The Kanyari

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Damian climbed into his crash couch on the ops deck of the Kanyari. Above him in the cockpit was Henry.
    “Gútegow, kowmang?” he called.
    “All good, kopeng,” replied Damian. “Take her out.”
    Henry confirmed with the station and proceeded to undock. With a few bursts of her maneuvering thrusters, the Kanyari drifted far enough away to fire up her drive.
    “Let's just see what she can do,” Henry said.
    “I dont like the sound of that at all,” said Malik.
    Henry hit a button and pinned the crew to their couches. The Kanyari's twin drive plumes burned bright blue as she shot deeper into the expanse.
    “Fuck,” said Mack.
    With a twitch of his wrist, Henry flung them around toward Jupiter. After a good burn, he slowed them down to about 0.3g. Buttersworth had said he would call them in a few days to give them some details, but they figured they could find some trouble in the meantime.
    “She packs quite the punch,” said Damian.
    “Ya she du. Cant wait fo ge some real action,” said Mack.
    “Oh, that'll come soon enough.” Damian grinned.

Damian walked into the galley to see Malik serving mushroom and pepper fajitas to the rest of the crew.
    "Oyé, tolowda," he said.

#1 Damian Slavko, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Her Manus and Afza Mirev like this.
  2. Rachel Lei

Rachel Lei Gunner on the NPS Kanyari

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Rachel let out a relieved sigh when Henry hit the accelerator, it was always both exciting and reliving leaving a station for the void, she felt safe out here. She was also relieved the ships reactor or twin drives didn’t overload and turn them into a ball of radiation and plasma. The drives kicked hard and pushed all the air out of Rachel’s lungs, the edges of her vision beginning to blur before Henry toned things down to a leisurely 0.3g’s and with a grin she unbuckled from her crash couch and walked up to the pilots seat.

“She’s something eh? Cant wait to see what she can do under pressure,” she gave the man a mischievous wink and turned to look out the ships expansive glass canopy at the stars beyond. There were so many it almost looked like there was no darkness, only a mismatched patchwork of various colours and shades.

In the extreme distance Jupiter shone, reflecting the light from Sol. It was tiny at this distance, practically a star if you didn’t know better, but it was there if you did. “I’m not entirely happy about heading back to Jupiter, de place is a war zone now.”

In the silence that followed her statement, a strange deep voice could be heard, but it didn’t speak, it simply grumbled unintelligibly for a moment before stopping. Rachel, stared at the AI core that sat at the back of the bridge then at Henry, an eyebrow cocked in a mildly unsettled fashion.

#2 Rachel Lei, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Afza Mirev and Her Manus like this.
  3. Henry Noam

Henry Noam XO/Pilot of The Kanyari

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Henry felt gravity loosen its grip as he slowed the Kanyari down to cruising thrust. He walked down the ladder from the cockpit, past Damian and crew who were discussing the ships capabilities.

“She’s something eh? Can't wait to see what she can do under pressure,” said Rachel, winking. Henry grinned. She looked out of the viewport. “I’m not entirely happy about heading back to Jupiter, de place is a war zone now.”

A low grumble came from the rear of the bridge, and the two exchanged a look. Damian, Mack, and Malik shuffled off to the Galley to eat dinner.

“Me neither,” said Henry. “But it's not the war that scares me. It's Damian's dad. He’s a lunatic ever since Damian's brother died. Damian's got the idea that since he's got a new ship, his pampa gonya welcome him with open arms, but I know better. Nating ever gonya be enough for Ol’ Ivan.”

Rachel gave him a puzzled look.

“Ivan? Slavko? Used to be big up in da Belék Sky, but now he runs his own ting. Surprised you na heard of im. Im unte im crew run Kasi Deya Outpost, and dats where Démi wants to go. Kewe to pensa?”

4. Rachel Lei

Character Biography:
    Bio
    At the mention of Black Sky a shadow passed over her face, her grin quickly turning into a scowl. She had run with the Black Sky Collective before she worked for Buttersworth and the Saxon. Mostly small time drug running but once they learned of her connections at Tycho they put pressure on her to start sabotaging ships, outposts designed for inners.

She enjoyed the life for a while, they really believed their cause was just, fighting the inya, destroying their hopes for expansion further into the outer planets. After a while though she realised the only thing they achieved was bringing more suffering unto belters. She parted ways with them years ago now, out of disgust, but that didn’t erase the OPA tattoo on her neck, it didn’t stop the knowing looks and the winks she got from their operatives when she was on other stations.

“Mi know Ivan, just Ivan, not Slavko. I didn’t realise de Captain was related to...him,” she formed her fingers into an offensive gesture, “Maybe mi should stay on de ship, make sure no one tries to nick it,” she pulled her hand cannon out and twirled it expertly around her index finger, “not that they’d get far.”

#4 Rachel Lei, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  5. Henry Noam

Henry Noam XO/Pilot of The Kanyari

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Henry blinked twice at her reaction.

“I didn't know you two were acquainted,” he said. “Ivan's goons wont nick the ship if they know its Damian's. Probably. But I would keep an eye on the guns fosho. Notorious arms dealers, them. And not legit.”

Damian walked in, clutching a tortilla filled with mushrooms, peppers and onions. The two of them jumped when he walked in the room.

“I'm interrupting something, ke?”

“No, Dame, just talking bout your old man.”

“What about him?” he snapped.

“Nothing,” said Henry, calmly. “Just about the station and all.”

Damian eyed the two of them suspiciously.

“Come eat,” he said, and went back the way he came.

Henry sighed in relief.

“That was a close one,” he said. “I would not talk shit around Damian if I were you. Family is a sensitive topic with him.”

The AI made a noise, and Henry started.

“That thing gives me the pashang creeps,” he said. “I don't trust nating nawit eyes.”

6. Rachel Lei

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Tolowda know that it can hear you when you say dese things?" Rachel said, with an amusing smirk. "Not that it probably cares, but" she glanced back quickly at the core, humming at the back of the bridge, a dull red glow shining from underneath of black metal plating, "I agree wit you about the noises, its...talkative." It seemed to continue murmur to itself as they left the bridge, their mag-boots clomping on the steel decks and they made their way aft.

The followed Damian down one of the three main corridors that ran the length of the ship. The main crew decks had one large corridor intersecting them, the bridge at one end, the reactor at the other, with crew quarters, galley, cargo back and other cabins in between. The port and starboard engineering decks had their own, equally long corridors, though much more cramped to accommodate the amount of experimental technology the vessel housed. The temperature in the engineering decks was also much higher, a byproduct of the drives complex thrust vectoring system and the energy fed to them by the reactor.

They arrived at the galley to find the rest of the crew assembled there chowing down. "Oh god mi," Rachel said, her eyelids fluttering in an odd way as the smells of Maliks cooking reached her nostrils, "da smells...deli...bekedabush, can't even talk right mi," she said laughing, walking over to high five the big man. "To know how de way to a woman's heart big man," she said, sitting down on one of the stools with the rest of the crew. A moment later a tortilla filled with actual food, not nutrient paste, not textural fungal protein, vegetables and spices, slid over to her, "So Captain, hoping to pick up some goons at Kasi Deya Outpost? I may know a couple of guys from back on de Saxon who are der now, definitely helpful in a tight spot."

7. Damian Slavko

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Damian smoked as he ate. With every chew came a wisp of smoke from his nostrils. He swallowed and spoke.
    “Well, milowda du have the room xitim,” he said. “And payroll isn't an issue anymore. It would be nice not to have to run shorthanded. I don't see why not.”
    Rachel gave a small look of triumph. Malik looked a bit worried.
    “Goons?” he whimpered, from beneath his vast beard. “What kind of goons?”
    “I'm sure they're fine gentlemen,” said Damian, winking at Rachel.
    “Am I a goon?” asked Malik, his giant forehead working itself into a knot.
    “If you are, so am I,” Mack indignantly insisted.
    “With hearts of gold,” added Damian. He took another drag, then another bite. He looked at Henry, who was quiet.
    “Anything to add, XO?”
    “Na,” he replied. “Sounds good.”
    Damian gave him a suspicious look, which he gestured away. Damian didn't press.
    “So, Gunny, what are their names? Imalowda know we're coming?”

#7 Damian Slavko, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Afza Mirev likes this.
  8. Rachel Lei

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Oh highly doubt im will xalte on as crew mi. Gut fo hired sodzha, helpful fo detim milowda eventually get to Io," she took a bite of the food Malik had passed her which she had rolled into a burrito. "But im will take their péyeting unte leave the moment de job is done.

"Done with bullshit crew life ya bunch of wankas" mi believe one of them said," she imitated a gruff, Earther Australian accent. "De other one just nodded and followed, da was ketim docked at New Providence last," she took another bite of the burrito, "I don't think they were impressed with de old Cap's leadership."

She realised that perhaps she had not given them the best review, "fantastic in a kombat though, badasses fosho fosho." She thumped her fist against her chest before wincing slightly. "Sabaka...Still y mali peng."

9. Damian Slavko

Character Biography:
    Bio
    “Oh,” Damian said, disappointed. “Dem Inya. Ya, we kang pick them up efa.”

“You really should be careful, Henry.” said Afza. “She'll never heal if you keep gunning it like that.”

Henry nodded sheepishly. Rachel didn't look worried.

Damian couldn't sleep, so instead he drank coffee all night and stayed up in the empty galley til morning.

“Oyé, bosmang, to na ta kang du sheláf wamotim?” yawned Mack.

“Na, new ship jitters," he lied.

“Oxo, but the beds so comfy though.” Mack smiled. Damian returned a weary look.

“Well," Mack said, awkwardly. "I'm off to go drag the doc along to help me figure out the ship. See you later.”

Afza Mirev, Rachel Lei and Her Manus like this.
  10. Afza Mirev

Afza Mirev Doctor on the NPS Kanyari

Character Biography:
    Bio
    After Henry’s initial burn from NP Station, which had left Mirev queasy in her couch, she went to the galley to help Malik make dinner.
    Over dinner, Rachel, Damian and Henry discussed what they would do at the Kasi Deya outpost; something about picking up some goons Rachel knew from the Saxon.
    The crew gathered in the glass cockpit before bed. They watched silently as the solar system moved around them.
    “Im gúfovedi, keya,” Henry said.
    Mirev was moved by the twinkling stars that filled the space before them. Shapes formed and reformed as her brain tried to make sense of the patternless spacescape.

Over coffee the next morning, Mack told Mirev he wanted to show some of the ship’s basic maintenance.
    He first gave her a tour, naming different parts of the ship and pointing out their various access panels or corresponding terminals.
    When they got to the ops deck, Mack examined the AI core for several minutes. He found a drawer at the bottom that contained a book.
    “Ah, the manual,” he said happily. He flipped through the book, his smile quickly replaced with a look of bewilderment.
    “Oye, where Rachel? She know how to work this thing?” he asked Damian or Henry, whichever of the two would answer.
    Damian shrugged lazily and Henry ignored him from his perch in the cockpit.
    “Mi gonya figure you out,” Mack said, addressing the AI. He led Mirev to the below deck cargo bay next.
    “Okay, suit up,” he said, gesturing to an EVA suit stored in the bay. “Milowda gonya check out da engine decks.”

Rachel Lei and Her Manus like this.
  11. Rachel Lei

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Rachel didn’t spent that morning in the galley, she grabbed a bulb of coffee from the steaming coffee machine and continued straight on towards the cargo bay. Where she went over the crates given to them before they left port. They had been packed back up after their burn away from the station but now was the best time to sort everything out.

Opening the first crate she pulled out six clear plastic containers around the size of an average suitcase, each one had a name of the crew member they were to be given to, and they were packed with colourful gambling chips, the unofficial currency of the belt. She made sure they were all accounted for before delivering each one to their designated crew cabins.

After that she went back and opened the next. Inside were severa cylindrical vessels containing a milky white substance. Stick to them were stickers with biohazard warnings and poison warning. The Juice, as it was colloquially known, kept crew alive in high G burns and combat, and they had enough to last them the next year. She picked one up carefully, even though she knew it wouldn’t be damaged if she dropped it, it was worth a lot of scrip.

Holding it in both hands she steadily made her way to the ops deck, where she noticed Mack and Afra crouched over the AI Core looking confused. She moved over to a black tubular section of the bulkhead which snakes under the decking for the next level, the bridge. Pulling a level the surface of this section retracted revealing an almost empty canister. With a clock and a twist it popped out and Rachel inserted the full one, which resulted in a happy beep from the piece of equipment. Replacing the cover she turned back to see Mack and Afza now pulling on vac suits.

With a chuckle she walked over to them, “AI got your brain hurting already? I’ve found the best place to start is by asking it simple questions...and go from der.” The two crew members nodded and she continued back to the cargo bay, returning back up the main corridor with a vacuum sealed bag of coffee beans in one hand, and a mean looking rifle in the other.

Entering the galley she saw Malik was there. “Ah just the belta mi wanting to see, here, take a look at dis and tell me what you think,” she handed the rifle to him, then tore off the top of the coffee bag and upended it into the coffee machine which made a delighted squealing sound.

#11 Rachel Lei, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Afza Mirev likes this.
  12. Malik Shah

Malik Shah Cook/ Security on The Kanyari

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Malik rolled his large frame out of bed and smoked a cigarette before washing up and heading to the galley.
    He began by storing the dishes that were drying from the night before, then started preparing for the days meals. He grabbed a handful of mushrooms and began grating.
    Since switching from the Durango to the Kanyari, his job had become at least half as difficult. They had enough money to buy the best ingredients available and the technology in the Kanyari's galley was much better than that of the decades-old Durango.
    As he chopped a misshapen onion into tiny pieces, his mind drifted to his mother and father. They had owned a small restaurant on Ganymede when he was young, but lost it all in the crisis.
    "Pashang Inya," he thought, as his knife slipped and cut his finger.
    “Felota!” he shouted in pain.
    Blood dripped slowly to the floor. He grabbed a towel and cleaned it up. His parents had almost completely left his mind, and he returned to chopping food. Lei walked in.
    “Ah, just the belta mi wanting to see. Here, take a look at dis and tell me what you think,” she said, handing him a rifle.
    “Mi pensa im wa tungeting,” said Malik. “Wa túngeting gúfovedi. Im fo mi?”
    It was early, and his English hadn't quite woken up.

Afza Mirev likes this.
  13. Makiyama Yamato "Mack"

Makiyama Yamato "Mack" Chief Engineer of The Kanyari

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Mack and Afza stepped into the airlock between the pressurized decks and the engine decks as the door cycled shut behind them.
    “Hit that button when I hit this one,” he said.
    She obliged. The door in front cycled open.
    “Holy shit,” he said. “And this is just one of them.”
    Afza didn't look impressed.
    “C'mon, look at this place! It's got everything.”
    Still nothing.
    “Okay, let's get to work then,” grumbled Mack. “Start by checking the fuel lines.”
    They worked for an hour or two. Afza didnt know much about fixing ships, but she learned fast and Mack was a good teacher. He taught her how to tune the magnetic bottle, how to confirm that the fuel lines were unobstructed, and how to reroute power from auxiliary to main in case of emergency, among other things. They got done about lunch.
    “So, fixing a kapawu not the same as fixing a mang, keya? You think its harder or easier?” he asked.

#13 Makiyama Yamato "Mack", Jan 8, 2019
    Afza Mirev likes this.
  14. Rachel Lei

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "If to want, mow where dat from," The big man gave a subtle nod of approval, mostly discernible because his enormous beard seemed to gyrate during the movement. He handed the weapon back over to Rachel, his pulled back the hammer and aimed down its sights at a tomato, before making a popping sound with her mouth. "Milowda should keep these stowed around de kapawu, not in de armoury, anyone or anyting we don't like come aboard, we ready, swap places wit me," she said edging around the counter towards Malik.

The big man complied and moved out from behind his altar of food preparation and stood in the doorway. "Now, pretend to be pirate!" The man tried his best, Rachel had to admit, even if they both grinned like idiots. The moment Malik made an attempt to get to where Rachel was, she had reached behind the counter and pulled out the rifle, aiming it to the left of his head. She made another popping sound with her mouth.

Not long after, Mack and Afza came in to find Rachel and Malik with the rifle in a dozen pieces on the counter, Rachel disassembling a component whilst Malik squinted at a small instruction manual.

#14 Rachel Lei, Jan 8, 2019
    Her Manus and Afza Mirev like this.
  15. Afza Mirev

Character Biography:
    Bio
    “Most certainly harder,” Mirev said. Checking the fuel lines and rerouting power had been easy enough, but once Mack moved on to more delicate procedures she’d had trouble keeping up.
    “Mi na can do your job,” she said.
    The two crossed back through the hallway and into the cargo bay. As they stored their EVA suits, Mirev considered what Rachel had told them earlier about the AI core.
    “Let’s check out the AI again before lunch,” she said to Mack. “We’ll ask it something simple like Rachel said.”
    Mirev and Mack went back up to the bridge, where the AI seemed to be waiting for them. Mirev approached it and crouched in front of it, as though she were trying to address it face-to-face.
    “Where are we?” she asked it.
    NPS Kanyari,” said a disembodied voice, followed by a string of numbers indicating their course and bearing.
    “Who am I?” Mack asked, crouching down alongside Mirev.
    “NPS Kanyari Chief Engineer Yamato Mackiyama,” the voice replied.
    “Call me Mack,” he said, winking at Mirev and using the machine to steady himself as he stood up.
    “To wanya get some food? Mi starving,” he said. “It can wait til after lunch.” He didn’t wait for a reply, leaving Mirev on the bridge as he headed for the galley.
    She looked at the AI once more then followed suit. In the galley, she and Mack found Malik staring frustratedly at a small manual as Rachel finished disassembling a gun behind him.

Her Manus likes this.
  16. Rachel Lei

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Rachel didn’t look up, staring intently at a series of metal coils. “Oh....Ooooooooh,” her eyes lit up, “Malik dis is the accelerator, it’s like a tiny coilgun!” They both nodded, satisfied with their examination. She looked over at Afza.

“Making friends with de creepy black box?” She said with a small grin, her eyes scanning around the room “probably listening now...Core, are you listening to us?”

“All audio, visual and spatial changes aboard the NPS Kanyari passes through the core. All inputs are perceived simultaneously in order to maintain vessel and crew functions.”

As the disembodied voice spoke seemingly from all around them, she reassembled the weapon before handing it to Malik. “Hide dat one somewhere close Sasa ke?”

#16 Rachel Lei, Jan 8, 2019
    Her Manus likes this.
  17. Malik Shah

Malik Shah Cook/ Security on The Kanyari

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Pochuye,” said Malik. “I'll put this somewhere safe and make lunch. Tolowda hungry?”
    They nodded. Malik opened a cabinet, took a container of food, and replaced it with the rifle.
    “The AI sasa kowlting bout us, pashang cool,” said Mack.
    “Im sasa my special recipe for red kibble?” joked Malik, as he sat six containers on the table.
    The AI started rattling off ingredients until Malik stopped it.
    “Not even right,” he said, grumpily. “Captain! XO! Come eat!”

Her Manus and Rachel Lei like this.
  18. Damian Slavko

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Damian and Henry were on the bridge discussing a race they once lost when Malik called. They climbed down the ladder to the galley and joined the rest of the crew who were halfway through their red kibble.

“Oyé, my favorite,” said the captain. “Hand me one.”
    He stood in the doorway to eat, and continued his discussion with Henry.
    “No, Henry, I swear. It was your second-guessing that got us.” Henry rolled his eyes.
    “It wasn't me that doubted you, it was the computer.”
    “Touché,” said Damian with a grin. “So, Doc, how'd you like being engineer for a day?”
    “It was fun,” she said, sheepishly. “It will take me a while to get as good as you guys, but-”
    “She's a fast learner,” Mack said with an elbow to her shoulder.
    “I don't doubt it,” said Damian. “Wasn't your first solo EVA when you jumped in between two ships?”
    “Ya,” she blushed.
    “And you never got your tatuyingi! Mack here will fix you right up. He gave me this.” Damian pointed to the inverted black triangle below his left eye. “I won't tell you what it means.”
    “I don’t know…”
    “It wont even hurt. What do you say? To wanya be wa pirata foriya?”

Afza Mirev, Her Manus and Rachel Lei like this.
  19. Afza Mirev

Character Biography:
    Bio
    “What do you say? To wanya be wa pirata foriya?”
    Mirev laughed before realizing Damian was serious.
    A Belter tattoo? She considered the idea.
    Mirev had, up until meeting the Durango crew, always had a hard time fitting in with other Belters; she almost felt between two worlds.
    She was only a second-generation immigrant to the Belt, and apparently it had showed to the other Belters on Ceres, who came to her for medical help but avoided her otherwise.
    She wasn’t popular with Inners either. The ones contracted to work on the station refused to see her when they were sick or hurt; they didn’t trust a “skinny” doctor.
    Being a Belter meant being not an Inner, something neither group liked to forget.
    But now she’d found a group of Belters who liked her. More than that, they’d saved her life and made her part of their crew. Mirev realized she felt like a part of something bigger than herself more than she’d ever felt before.
    “Fosho,” she said, smiling at the rest of them.

Her Manus likes this.
  20. Rachel Lei

Character Biography:
    Bio
    As Rachel ate and smiled, watching the crew banter between each other, something chimed at her side. Pulling out her terminal, the AI had sent her a notification. Odd...should have just told the whole crew...She thought, opening the item. Inside was detailed readouts of a nearby asteroid, one of the billions that made up the belt. However, as they passed it the AI detected a pair of heat signatures and radiation spike, something usually associated with a vessel.

The AI had spent the last ten minutes sending pulses and scans out behind the Kanyari, trying to figure out what it was, but before she had even finished reading the message Rachel was on her feet heading for the main corridor. She had seen these tactics before, they were eerily similar to her own when she was XO aboard a small pirate skiff years ago, preying on inner vessels that strayed into the dangerous parts of the belt.

Whatever vessel was now tailing them, it was trying very hard not to be noticed. The AI had not turned on the Kanyari's active scanners, and thus she could not get a clear picture of what they were dealing with, but from the telescope mounted on the underside of the ship, it looked big enough to be a freighter.

Arriving at the bridge she jumped into her crash couch and pulled the overhead terminal towards her. Tapping several buttons she activated the gunner station before a curious whirring noise emanated from the couch and over her head a sort of VR apparatus lowered. "Whoa, what de fuck is dis..." He flickered for a moment before showing an outside view of the ship. Each way she turned she got an external view, with a HUD displaying weapon condition, ammunition levels, coolant systems, everything required to perform her role. She slid her fingers along two touch-sensitive pads on the palm rests of the crash couch. The headset responded instantly, spinning her field of view to face behind the vessel. "Okay, now dat is impressive..."

Zooming in, she could barely spot the vessel, is was still kilometres away, but the HUD had it outlined, a red triangle hovering some distance away. "Captain," she said over the ship's intercom, "we have company."

#20 Rachel Lei, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Her Manus likes this.