SPACE Drifting

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Tadgh, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Drifting. He spent so much of his life doing it, both literally and figuratively. The Azimuth was on the float now. Running at zero-g to save fuel for a few hours before turning at the halfway point to start the deceleration at a gentle 0.2g.

Tadgh had been claiming it was more comfortable for his injury to have his feet up. It hadn’t been. It was just a good way to spend an afternoon, half awake and watching the monitors every now and again. Not a lot happened on a cargo ship with the computer taking them along their course.

Now he was just strapped in. Cup of coffee floating just a few inches off his right hand. Wasn’t any point putting his feet up without gravity.

Other people still had jobs to do. Someone was double checking the temperatures on the controlled containers. Lyla was probably working in engineering despite her own wound.

This was Tadgh’s third trip on the Azimuth. He didn’t really have crew behaviours down, but she had been pretty scarce on the upper decks since Ceres.

“Anything out of the ordinary Azimuth?”

A negative response appeared on his screen.

“Well unless you have other ideas I’m going down to engineering.”

The ship didn’t complain.

He was floating down a ladder when the klaxons warned of the impending turn. For an inner he had always been quite agile in low gravity. Just something in his head that was less concerned about up and down that most people he thought. With a clack his mag-boots attached to the deck and he braced against the ladder.

He had a vague sense of movement as the ship slowly carried out its turn. When it stopped he felt the epstein ramp up as vibrations through the ladder. Gravity slowly returned. His head swam for a few seconds before he felt confident releasing the ladder. When he did he just had one more down into the engineering bay.

At first he gripped the ladder as if to slide down, but thought the better of it. Didn’t seem likely that he would open the wound after two days, but better to be safe.

“@Lyla? You around?” he called out as he touched down.

Lyla likes this.
  2. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Lyla’d heard someone thump down onto the engineering deck not long after the spin had finished. She was seated on the ground on the opposite side of the deck with one of the floor panels pulled up to allow her to work on the interior components. It was a part that she’d already cleaned earlier in the week, but it was easy to get to and it would keep her hands busy.

Tadgh’s voice called through the compartment and she frowned a little, pushing her curls out of her face with the back of her hand -- smearing a little grease across her cheek in the process. If it’d been anyone else, she might have ignored them or sent them on their way; but surviving together through a near death situation changed things.

The belter quietly cleared her throat before she called back to him. “Over here, Tadgh.” She leaned forward to clip the complicated piece of metal back into place, not wanting him to know that she was just doing busy work. It would invite questions that she wasn’t sure she wanted to answer yet.

3. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Tadgh's neck was still stiff from the crash. That became apparent when he turned his head back and forth to hone in on the sound of her voice. All the metal tended to reflect the sound and make it hard to work out where a voice came from in a more open space of deck. Though this wasn't an open space like the big hangars. The ones they could chuck a ball around when empty.

There were pipes running along the walls, heavy duty cabling that wasn't shrouded. Tadgh didn't know what any of it did. All he knew was that there was a nuclear reactor that could vaporise them all and that he wasn't supposed to touch anything unless told to do so.

He found her easily enough. She wasn't lazing around the place like he had been. He didn't know that she was making work for herself at this point.

“Decided to get up and about a bit. Havent seen you around the Ops deck much today so thought I'd come down here.”

He considered suggesting it was to get some exercise, but that sounded illogical so he took the route that wouldn't invite questions about the functionality of the intercom instead. Which was, in fact, working perfectly right now.

@Lyla

Lyla likes this.
  4. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Her brow furrowed slightly, tilting her head back so that she could look up at him. “Is something broken on the ops deck? I haven't heard anything about a malfunction. I can come take a look if you need me to.” She offered as she pushed herself onto her feet with her good arm. The sling was set off to the side by her toolbox, as she'd taken it off to allow her more range of motion. She wasn't supposed to take it off yet.

It was nice to be back on the Azimuth. Random thugs weren't going to magically appear and try to shake her down. They also weren't going to put her in then position to kill someone else.

She donned a strained smile, standing eye to eye with Tadgh once she was on her feet. “How's your side doing?”

#4 Lyla, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  5. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Tadgh noticed the sling crumbled amongst the tools. That managed to amuse him after such a tedious start to the day.

I was up on the Ops deck trying not to imagine dying in that grim little hole and wanted to check you weren't doing worse?

The urge to speak freely was tempered by a lack of familiarity with Lyla as well as an upbringing in a backwards family where talking about feelings was still taboo.

Turning back to Lyla (And slightly upwards. Eye to eye was more like eye to chin) he gave a shrug.

“I think it's alright. Wound seems to be closing up anyway. Ops deck is just fine,” he said, holding a hand up. “Just decided to come down here and see how you were doing.”

Tadgh broke eye contact and looked around the room. “Haven't even had a good look around here yet,” he added. He wasn't particularly interested in looking around the engineering decks.

Lyla likes this.
  6. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    She made a thoughtful sound in her throat after his remark about taking a look at engineering. “I haven't really gotten a tour put together yet, but the reactor is usually a good place to start. Plus, I'm the only one that ever goes down there.” She offered, avoiding the question about how she was doing.

She was struggling, and she knew that, but having a breakdown on the ship wasn't going to fix anything. Except maybe prove some of Maguire's thoughts about her.

Tadgh likes this.
  7. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    “Oh good, where the nuclear material is,” Tadgh said without a trace of enthusiasm. He chuckled afterwards. “Down two from here?” he asked. The ship was effectively a tower block sat on a drive and he hadn't committed the full deck plans to memory.

“I guess getting around and doing any work is difficult with that,” he observed, pointing towards the sling. He certainly wasn't here to admonish Lyla for failing to follow medical guidance.

Lyla likes this.
  8. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Lyla sheepishly rubbed at the back of her neck and managed a faint smile, walking over to the lift. She wasn't too proud to admit that climbing around on the ladder would hurt. “Yeah… it's difficult. I am trying to take it easy though. Don't want to tear anything or hurt myself even worse.” She replied over her shoulder.

“Surprised you ventured all the way down here though, especially with your own injury. I know that moving around that much has to be painful.” She added, stepping into the lift and waiting for Tadgh to follow, her hand resting on the box that would allow her to select which deck to go to.

Tadgh likes this.
  9. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    “I'll be taking the lift back up, that's for sure,” Tadgh responded as he stepped into the it. “Floating down was easy enough, but the burn started when I was two decks up. Should have gone quicker.”

His mind had tried to do some blotching out of the worst moments of Ceres but he could still vividly recall her expression when she had looked at the body of the man she had killed. He also remembered saying too much and sending her falling back within herself.

Now he was down here he didn't really know how to maneuver between forcing her to think about those fresh memories and failing to find out how she was doing.

He supposed just be around, try and get a sense of how she was holding up and offer to listen if she needed. It seemed easy when you thought about it. But no one would ever say anything hurtful if it was easy to say the right thing all the time.

“Guess those parts need swapping over when we stop?” he asked.

Lyla likes this.
  10. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    She blinked after she hit the button for the reactor, not entirely sure what he was talking about, and then she realized he probably meant what she'd been cleaning. “Oh… no. Those are actually in great shape. We do have a few couplings that'll need replacing soon though. I think I might need to recalibrate the induction rate, since it seems to be causing more wear than usual. Nothing too pressing though, they should hold for this trip.” She reassured him and tried to smile.

There were still bags under her eyes. She still wasn't sleeping well, and every time she closed her eyes she watched than life drain from that man's eyes again and again. So she did her best to avoid it. She knew that she should probably talk to someone about it, but she couldn't shake the feeling that they would just brush her off. Maguire already didn't think she was capable enough as it was. She didn't want Tadgh to think the same of her.

HSAR likes this.
  11. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Lyla
    “What about the gear we picked up?” Tadgh asked. “You know, the stuff we only paid for with being shot and stabbed half to death.”

Lyla had the inventory and Tadgh the target prices when they had been heading up into Ceres to negotiate. He didn't actually know what any of it did. For all he knew they'd been negotiating for parts for a vending machine.

At the time, he reflected, he had felt some way more than half dead. Especially in that grim Star Helix cell.

The doors opened. “Fuel pellets heated by laser to fusion. And an engine. That's the extent of my knowledge.”

Lyla likes this.
  12. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Lyla faltered. She'd been in such a bad shape since the events on Ceres that she'd entirely forgotten about the parts from the “job”. She hadn't even remembered installing them once she'd gotten back to the ship. Had she done that? She needed to go back and double check her work to make sure it was done correctly.

A hand passed through her curls and she shook her head, smiling weakly. “Oh yeah. Those. No, they're all fine. I think. Probably should just make sure in a bit.” The reactor was always a bit warmer than the rest if the ship. Lyla enjoyed coming down here when she was upset or needed some time to herself.

“They were part of the CO2 scrubber system. Some of our filters were getting old and needed changing out. Simple job, really.”

HSAR and Tadgh like this.
  13. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    “Let me know if you want help when we're docked if there are any big jobs left. Side hurts, but shoulders are still fine if anything needs hauling around where we can't get a mech.”

When they were in orbit or drifting it was when the difference between mass and weight became most apparent. Everything still had the same mass. Many new crewmembers got limbs crushed in zero-g. Thought that because they could lift something that it wasn't still a dangerous lump of momentum when it was moving.

“So this is the chamber with enough energy to turn the ship into atoms if it goes wrong?” he asked. Grinning he tucked his hands under his armpits as if it wasn't safe for him to be around such dangerous equipment. He was aware of the layers of failsafes. People could chuck the crates of fuelpellets around so they clearly weren't inherently dangerous.

Her Manus and Lyla like this.
  14. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Lyla smirked at him, turning to lean her hip against a hand railing with her arms folded across her chest. There was a soft smile on her lips and she glanced down at her boots, idly crossing one foot over the other. “I appreciate the offer. Everyone else has been kind of avoiding me since we got back, I think. Glad someone knows that I'm still down here.”

Her gaze rose back up to meet his and she shook her head a few times. “Don't think even you could break it though. You'll be fine. If you want to help, I'll be sure to let you know the next time something breaks.” She paused after the sentence, quirking her mouth to the side.

“I'm sorry you got dragged into this mess…” she murmured, drumming her fingers against her biceps in thought. “I still need to go through your hand terminal to make sure it's clean…”

15. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    “Yes, definitely should. I'll bring that over later.”

After I've done some cleaning of my own first, he thought to himself. It seemed he had just volunteered for holding parts in place and passing tools duty. Second mate duties were whatever else wasn't being looked after, anyway.

“Look we got into this together and we'll make it out together. Crew might just be looking to give you space but they don't really know, do they? I came down to talk. You're probably not okay yet. I'm not,” he admitted. “That's fine I guess, but I know I'd feel a lot better if it was all behind us. But there's a signed form that says it isn't.”

He sighed, realising he'd gone from listening and polite conversation to blurting words out again.

Lyla likes this.
  16. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The sincerity in his voice was touching, and brought a warm smile to her face. While the rest of the crew wasn’t sure how to react to what had happened, or how to bring it up with her, Tadgh managed to do it without issue. She didn’t want to be treated like a fragile doll, or avoided in case she might break down into tears.

Someone knew that she wasn’t okay, and it was a relief to know that she wasn’t the only one. “No… I’m not okay. But… we both came out alive, which is the important thing. I was worried we weren’t even going to get off that rock. You especially... “ Her sentence trailed off and she glanced off to the side, biting at the inside of her cheek.

Kealoha Scarsi likes this.
  17. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    “Yeah…the thought occurred to me too.” Tadgh reached behind his neck and scratched at an imaginary itch as the base of his hairline. This all made him feel quite embarrassed, but she had smiled. If anything she seemed almost relieved.

Smiling suited her. They all needed some time, but he knew it wouldn't be behind them until they were done with the Star Helix job.

He stepped out into the deck and sat back on one of the two chairs next to a console.

“I knew some parts of Helix were corrupt, but never thought they would leave me like that to get their way.”

It hurt to think about. Just a little less each time.

Lyla and Her Manus like this.
  18. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Lyla sighed softly, moving to take a seat next to him on the other chair. She leaned forward to rest her elbows on her knees, clasping her hands loosely together. One of her thumbs idly brushed back and forth across the back of the opposite hand.

“They're an Earth owned corporation run by Belters on the biggest port in the belt… it was only a matter of time before they made that bias pretty evident. Still… I'm sorry that it got that far. Shouldn't have trusted them, it was stupid.”

She glanced up from her hands to meet his gaze, a sad smile on her lips. “I'm really sorry…”

Her Manus likes this.
  19. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    “Not your fault. Really it isn't. If we'd stayed holed up in that tunnel might have made it out. Might not have done. Think how…”

Traumatised you would have been leaving my corpse in there. Think about that one.

“...many times I would have been mugged wandering around in a daze asking for directions in me chipper Irish accent,” he said, emphasising with something that sounded like the Lucky Charms advert. “Probably six or seven times. Got back to the ship in my underwear in about two weeks time.”

He canted his head slightly to one side and tried to laugh a little. “You've still got grease on you,” he said, pointing to the cheek. He looked over at the reactor. The deep vibrations could be felt right through the deck and into his core. It was something he was used to, but it was more noticeable this close to the business end of the vessel.

Lyla and Her Manus like this.
  20. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    A blush colored her cheeks when she realized that there was grease on her face. She reached up to quickly swipe at her cheek with inside of her sleeve. “Oh, for fuck’s sake… Didn’t even notice.”

She gave a soft sigh, leaning back in the chair and closed her eyes. “I want you to know that I don’t regret doing it. That guy had it coming and I know that… it was worth it. And I’d do it again.” She said, nodding her head once as if to confirm the words.

Her Manus likes this.