LUNA Difference in Opinion

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger

Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger Commander of UNN Frontier Fleet

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Bush Orbital Shipyard
    Luna Orbit
    Year 2351

The Admiral had spend most of his day inspecting the repairs of the Armageddon's Edge. His girl had taken quite the beating during the small skirmishes in the Jupiter System and now was in the middle of being repair so it would be ready for the next mission.

Now however he found himself at another part of the shipyard, looking out on a bay in which the hull of a heavily damaged ship was in the midst of disassembly. The damaged had probably be too heavy to be able to repair the ship, so instead they had began dismantling it to scavenge materials for other ships.

There he stood, watching as crews of technicians, mechs and robotic arms slowly stripped down the ship to it's individual parts. A man holding a data pad walked up to him and he turned his gaze away from the giant floating chunk of metal that had once been a warship.

"Have you made progress?"

"Yes, Sir. We have produced a badge of parts and are now conducting tests on them. Everything is going as expected." the smaller man said.

"Good, you are dismissed." Yeager simply waved the man away and turned to face the ship once again.

@Emmet Sheldon

Niki likes this.
  2. Emmet Sheldon

Emmet Sheldon Deputy Undersecretary of Political Affairs

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Along the Bays of Bush

Bush Orbital Shipyards. He hadn't seen the place since he was elected Deputy Undersecretary, and he missed it. Vessels from far and wide often came here, some even older than the Truman. They were still in service because of the imbalance of funds and lack of newly passed acts that would get the navy back in order. He walked slowly down the catwalk, inspecting every vessel, gaining knowledge from each, slowly caressing his red tie. He wanted to meet Cervan after the disastrous security meeting, but he knew there was no rush.

The deputy undersecretary tried hard not to show what he considered "childish obsession" over the magnificent UN vessels. His head swiveled all around, face showing the slightest tilt upwards. It was a good feeling, considering that he had been to a mass grave a few days before this scheduled meeting. He had a renewed vigor to serve his people, and it started by making commonality with those who oppose his views.

As he went to the last aisle where there were incomplete hulls with indefinite timelines for service and combat-ineffective vessels torn down for parts, he saw the man he was to meet, inspecting what looked to be a cruiser that had been pierced through by a railgun. He approached Cervan with a relaxed gait, looking at the fatally wounded cruiser.

"You know, I'm surprised that you haven't lobbied for a vessel to be named after your favorite animal. It's honestly a good name in many languages."

@Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger

Her Manus and Niki like this.
  3. Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Cervan didn't turn to face the man that approached him, in fact he didn't react to his presence at all and instead kept watching the wreck of the cruiser getting disassembled.

"I am not surprised that you are surprised." he said in a strangely ominous tone.

@Emmet Sheldon

4. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Sheldon expected that grim response. He doesn’t even know why he attempted to lighten the atmosphere. He expected discussion over NP-UN relations, but had little idea to Cervan’s proposal other than to nuke the damn place.

“So what’s your idea, Cervan?” he questioned curiously.

@Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger

5. Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "As I said in the emergency meeting. We've let the belt get away with too much, first the bombing of the peace conference, then the attack on Ceres, the crippling of one of our warships afterwards and then their involvement in the Io events. They have forgotten what their place is and we will remind them of that." he said in a matter-of-fact tone.

He still remained motionless, looking out onto the dry-dock and the vast shape of luna behind it.

@Emmet Sheldon

6. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Likewise, I will reiterate my point of view. The Belt has lasted half a century being systemically oppressed by our own bureaucracy and lack of flexibility. We've colonized the Belt, inadvertently created a race of humans adapted to the realms of space, and never adapted ourselves. I dunno about you, but I'd be pretty upset if I didn't get any form of representation in the UN. Now that feeling festered, and just like the United States did with Britain way back in 1776, they're barging their way out. We have got to let them have unbiased representation within the UN if we want them on our side, and I don't know if we have enough time for that." Sheldon responded with a firm gentleness.

The crew working on the cruiser took a huge part off after he finished his sentence, to be shipped off to vessels in need of that metal.

@Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger

Her Manus likes this.
  7. Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Giving them representation would imply that the belt is something close to a state. But it isn't. The OPA aren't freedom fighters like the Americans, they are terrorist and criminals. One of their greatest idols, Captain Buttersworth, was a ruthless pirate who deserted the UNN to plunder shipping lanes. They harm themselves more than we do and are incapable of order. We've colonized the belt to take advantage of it's resources. Resources that we desperately need to supply a rapidly growing population. A lot of people here on earth live a lot worse than most belters, they may be fed and supplied with the bare minimum but that's all life will ever be for them. At least the residents of the belt have the opportunities to improve their lives, if they don't take those opportunities and instead decide they wanna terrorize those who have built their society they will face the consequences."

Finally the Admiral turned to face the politician. "Besides, the Secretary General agrees with me on this matter, if we want to improve the living conditions of our citizens we have to make sure order is kept in the belt so the economy can run smoothly. He knows that."

8. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "That is exactly what the British perceived the Americans as. Terrorist and criminals. The point is that they are uniting as a nation, and we must let them be represented into our government in order to keep us stable. Would you really want to spend more of our budget stifling a nation that is banding together? I'm not even sure that Captain Buttersworth really stole that vessel. Nobody does. It's perceived that it was stolen, but it could've been panic after an unfortunate incident. Also, our job problem is within ourselves. If we have to depend on the Belt to sustain our economy, the economy must be reformed. I've taken a walk around the city and there's disrepair everywhere. Potholes in the roads, withering parks. Even the air smells sick. Symbolic of our malaise-ridden economy that we must reform to keep being the dominant nation, after cleaning up our sorely bureaucratic system. Earth First, in all sectors."

9. Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger

Character Biography:
    Bio

"You know that even the most well thought out economy won't be able to produce raw materials out of thin air right? Earth as a planet is rather devoid of resources after years of humans living there. You should know that there is no realistic way to provide jobs for over 30 billion people. You walked through the city so you must've seen how people live, and it's not even that bad here. Expanding into the solar system even more is the only way we can provide better opportunities for these people and I don't see anything wrong with that. You said it yourself, Earth first in all sectors."

He was quiet for a second. "I shouldn't expect so much from you. You left the UNN to join the ranks of the politicans that caused this situation in the first place, you support their behavior by being part of it."

Before Sheldon could respond Yaeger held up a hand. "Don't try to explain yourself. Every politican no matter their goal only supports the system. Good intentions are what got us here in the first place."

10. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Sheldon felt insulted that Cervan perceived he was working for the bureaucracy instead of dismantling it. It was part of his identity to be as transparent as possible, yet here was Cervan, telling him that he was a traitor to the Navy’s cause.

“Cervan, why would you label me as that? I wanted to serve the people in the most effective way possible and leave a lasting effect. I don’t have any ill intention other than to reform the UN. Hell, I don’t even care if I go powerless in the pursuit of reform.”

Sheldon paused for a second, calming down after that.

“No, I’m not talking about gathering more resources to boost our economy. I’m talking about mobilizing all these unemployed to work professions. Obviously, the government is ineffective at that, and people can’t find anything for work because most of them haven’t mobilized to space and we haven’t reformed our economy to run off trade. Then nobody wants to visit us for tourism because we’ve been so hostile and demeaning. We’ve got to think like an island nation. Poor resources, except humans. Mobilize them.”

Sheldon gestured towards the workers that were dismantling the cruiser, toiling away for their day’s work.

11. Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Cervan chuckled at the fresh politicians response, it was exactly what he'd expected.

"I never labeled you as anything. I simply told you what being a politician means. The problem is that your intentions don't matter. You cannot be part of the system and not be part of it. Well intentioned politicians are usually the ones that do the most damage, because they either mess it up themselves with their Utopian imaginations or their plans get messed up by other politicians."

"You didn't listen to what I said did you? Because you just repeated it. The only way to take care of our citizens is expansion. Earth simply doesn't even have enough space to sustain a highly optimized utopian Society of this size and ours isn't that and never will be. Besides, a UN expansion wouldn't only profit us, it would also have positive effects on the rest of the solar system, remember, everything human made outside of earth's atmosphere can be traced back to the UNs expansion into the solar system. Those who've colonized Mars have come to great wealth because we laid down the foundation."

12. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Sheldon saw an opening to squeeze in after what Cervan said.

"Alright, let's start from there then. We're not going to go anywhere with increasing our grip on the Belt. We don't even have enough to maintain our fleet, as you said. Policing the Belt even more would increase our rates of attrition to a point where our seemingly imminent collapse would be hastened. Let's not burn even more bridges than we have to and start negotiating with these "criminals". They're still technically under our control. If we sway the leaders of their opposition to our favor, we'll be getting somewhere. Yes, that may include integrating their leaders into our council at a later time, which have been so Earth-centered that they've blocked themselves in, the contrary of expansion. Yes, that may include reconciliation with the MCR if we want them to be in our control again. Yes, that may include getting rid of our current perceptions and biases of both worlds."

Her Manus likes this.
  13. Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Cervan was amazed how full of hopes the man was, exactly the kind of politician filled with idealistic views that he disliked.

"Yeah but that's not true is it? Expanding more into the belt may take resources, but it will also get us resources. Resources we desperately need. If we just stay dormant forever and wait til Mars and the Belt are willing to work with us we'll die out. Without action our fleet will slowly wither away until we aren't a threat to anyone anymore. Is that what you want? Because the OPA will never work with us. The MCR only does it because we've got a temporary common goal, controlling the belt, so once they are capable of doing that on their own we become expendable. Their military already wants a war with us, a war which none of us will survive. But if we wait and do nothing they'll just roll over us."

14. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Sheldon wasn't willing to drill any further until he gets Cervan's proposal. He was much harder to break in than any that he encountered in the past. Hopefully, he'll get more clues when he gets Cervan's proposal about the situation.

Alright then, what's your proposal? Why should we resort to an iron grasp when there are better alternatives?

15. Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Suddenly it seemed like Sheldon was backing down, but Cervan wasn't let his guard down yet. His advisary wasn't an idiot.

"Because sadly the better alternatives won't get us the results we need in time. Our economy is slowly failing and if we wait it out until the belt works with us we risk economic failure and mass damage to our planet. I understand your point, but we both know Mars is more effective and willing than we are at controlling the belt already and while we wait until thre belt works with us they exploit our weakness and become stronger."

"So now to your question. We will increase our presence in the belt, negating piracy and improving trade, this will lead to more resources for us and may increase our foothold in the belt. Because we cannot control the belt on our own we will work with Mars on this matter. This will decrease the chance of conflict. So while Mars keeps working on their terraforming technology we will expand into the belt to ensure superiority. Of course it is clear that this cannot only be diplomatic or violent, by combining these approaches we will gain the upper hand. I can send you a file with the details later
    ."

Now he looked at Sheldon firmly. "You don't like my approach, I know that. But negotiating will take too long and it won't ensure the results we need."

16. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Sheldon naturally expected a hardline authoritarian approach from Cervan, but he expected wrong. A combination of diplomacy and violence seems strange coming from Cervan, a no-nonsense person who would fire on the first twitch of the enemy. Sheldon was curious as to where he can intervene on some of the details to be more mellow on the Belt. He decided.

"Hmm, I will consider your plan, Cervan. Send me the details as soon as possible, and maybe I'll accept it."

He won't accept the plan in its original form. Of course he will try to tweak parts of it to his favor and send it back to Cervan for his consideration.

Her Manus likes this.
  17. Oliver "Cervan" Yaeger

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Maybe.... Cervan had to suppress a laugh.

"I'll be sure to do so, although I will have to leave you now. There are some important appointments that simply cannot be delayed."

They shook hands and, after looking at the ship for a moment, Cervan walked off into the direction of the stations civilain area.

Cervan was satisfied. He had learned a lot about the man, while Sheldon had seemingly learned nothing.