TYCHO Blowing off Steam

Discussion in 'Open Roleplay' started by Morne du Plessis, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Esper

Esper Captain of the Spitfire

Discord:
    Esper
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Stepping a bit closer to Miriam, Esper cocked her head to the side to get a better view of the manifest that the doctor was showing to her. "Eight Thirty Four..." she repeats quietly, committing it to memory. Esper went over the mental map in her head, connecting the dots between the loading bay and the dock they were currently occupying with their ship. She nods and steps back once more, absentmindedly checking her hidden holsters and pockets. All things were still accounted for.

A glance Luke's way when he was mentioned brought a smirk to Esper's features. "We're at dock Three, bay two. I'll contact the loading crews and get your cargo moved into our ships storage bay." Esper produced her own phone device and held it near to Miriams, with the data channel open to receive information over the short band utility most devices had. "Please transfer it. We can depart as soon as it's loaded, if you'd like."

@Miriam Preston @Luke Jakoby

Luke Jakoby and Miriam Preston like this.
  2. Miriam Preston

Miriam Preston Earther, Medic

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Miriam’s back heel crunched into some splintered glass. The club and its occupants, mostly the drunk revelers trying to forget the tough manual labor of the day or hook up for a one night stand began to wear thin on her nerves. Pick your poison for some, she mused. Except for her brief stint in school with focus drugs and other substances, Dr. Preston never understood why at the end of a long, hard day some employees chose to stay up even further, battering themselves like that when sleep was all they really needed. Perhaps she just knew too much about the human body and the detrimental effects of libertinism to indulge like that.

“Perfect,” Miriam responded with a wan smile, her energy fading now too. She swiped upwards with her index finger, and the information instantly made its way to Esper’s device.

“Headquarters gave me about twenty-four hours to find a shipping company. I’m not using our Tycho sanctioned cargo ships. This is kind of my own little pet project.” Pride caused her smile to widen, but then she added, “It’s very profitable for Tycho, but perhaps they don’t want to take on the liability?”

Ugh, Miriam the more you talk about how hazardous the cargo is, the more hesitant the Spitfire crew will be to take it. Yet, there was really nothing that bad in those sturdy containers, and what was bad was sturdily contained.

“How about we get some sleep, and I’ll meet you at the Spitfire in about eight hours?”

Dr. Preston wasn’t sure how the Captain feel after a night out, but Esper seemed as lucid as the row of freshly washed bar glasses on the shelf above the barkeep and that was good enough for her.

@Esper @Luke Jakoby

Luke Jakoby and Esper like this.
  3. Esper

Discord:
    Esper
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Giving Miriam a smile that said 'I'm trying to be as amicable as possible', Esper nodded and held a hand out for a handshake. It seemed like the appropriate way to settle on a decision. "We'll be ready for departure in eight hours..." Esper check's her device for the time. "...That'll be at O-Eight-Thirty. We look forward to having you travel with us."

With that, Esper took a quick glance Luke Jacoby's way. She debated leaving him here, but thought better of it. There was no telling how much longer he'd be and she really didn't want to have to do all the work. Esper moved over to where they had been at the bar previously, ordering herself a drink of water. Downing it quickly, she told the barkeep to put it on Luke's tab before making her way over to stand behind him. The loud music kept her approach from being noticed, the strobe lights flashing across her visage.

Usually, Esper would clear her voice or make some other subtle attempt at getting Luke's attention, but that wasn't going to work here in the club. So instead, she resorts to tapping him firmly on the shoulder. "Hey...! We got cargo. Time to get to work." She would then look at the man with which Luke was conversing. "I need to steal your drinking partner." She would say to him, looking fairly un-amused at the whole situation. She still held much of the traits earned by growing up on mars and within a Martian military family. A no-nonsense sort of mentality, and taking things a little too seriously. Looking back to Luke, she also stated just loud enough for them both to hear "God, I hope you're not drunk."
    @Miriam Preston @Luke Jakoby @Cpt_Buttersworth

Miriam Preston and Luke Jakoby like this.
  4. Cpt_Buttersworth

Cpt_Buttersworth Moderating the shipping lanes

Character Biography:
    Bio
    At the mention of Fred, a darkness crossed the Captains face. "Fred is dead Luke, you best deal with that now otherwise it'll cause trouble for you down the line. His supports are in control of the station, but the man himself is gone, and the system is poorer for it." Buttersworth signed and finished his drik, listening to the young captain talk.

"If you want the ID tags for those rouge ships, I'm sure you can find them in a thousand different pieces floating around Tycho. Like I said, we had a punch out, the Saxon came out on top. Thats a few less idiots for everyone to deal with."

A moment later, a purple haired Martian interrupted them .
    She said it not impolitely, but Bart always had reservations over Martians, leftovers from his days in the UN Navy. "He's all yours love." He said, making a dismissive gesture with his hand. He turned to the young Captain and slapped a hand on his shoulder. "Luke, you look after yourself, good men are hard to find these days and things seem to be only getting worse. Keep your eyes open, and if you ever need it you can find safe harbour at New Providence. There'll always be a berth for the Spitfire waiting."

With that, Captain buttersworth turned back to the bar and motioned for another drink, leaving Luke with his crewmember.

#44 Cpt_Buttersworth, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Luke Jakoby, Miriam Preston and Esper like this.
  5. Luke Jakoby

Luke Jakoby strapped to an engine, trying to steer

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Good to hear they're space junk," Luke said, confirming his suspicion. Very few went up against the Saxon and lived to tell the tale. "And don't worry, I don't need to mourn Fred. I didn't know him personally. I just wanted to know if any justice was on the way, but considering I guess it'll fall between the cracks like most other things."

The arrival of Esper was cause for the young Earther to finish his drink, before smiling.

"Thanks, Bart," Luke nodded to Bart, as he stood and slapped the other Earther on the back in a friendly manner. "Lookin' forward to visiting again. And you watch your six out there, too. Saxon doesn't need another paint job before this one's had a chance to dry."

With a smirk, the Earther walked toward Esper and leaned in close, speaking above the music but not shouting in her ear.

"Sorry about that... how did it go with the doc?"

Glancing down the bar, Luke caught sight of that bright white lab coat, chuckling to himself. Hopefully the job would be straightforward, and the cargo not too dangerous... but, even if it was, the Spitfire still had to do the work, just to keep the money rolling in. So either way, the deal was done and the crew would be en route soon.

Esper likes this.
  6. Esper

Discord:
    Esper
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Leaning in so as to be heard, Esper up-nodded toward the doctor. "She's anxious to get going. Wants to leave tomorrow morning. We need to get her cargo loaded up and checked into our manifest. I can see to that if you want to get on board the Spitfire and make sure we have everything we need for the trip." As they walked, Esper stopped and attempted to grab Luke by the shoulder. "That means coffee. Dear god if you forget coffee again..." She squeezes her eyes shut and rubs a thumb and index finger against the bridge of her nose. "Just don't forget coffee." Esper said. She opened her eyes and peered up at Luke with a half grin. Why did she like giving him such a hard time?

Esper then waved to the doctor, Miriam, following it up with a gesture to Luke as if to say 'I got him, were on it' as she once more started walking for the exit of the club. One last check to make sure her belongings were still where they should be before she left, and then she was gone and out the door.
    @Luke Jakoby @Miriam Preston

7. Aurelia Juarez

Aurelia Juarez Hammer and Nails

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Aurelia wondered if burning all that much to get here was worth it. Sure she had an interest in Souzan but that interest waned against the prejudice she fought within herself. When she wandered outside, the Martian had half-expected the Belter to follow. The brunette caught sight of the woman out of her periphial and exhaled again, "listen, maybe we can catch up later? Sorry for uh, messing with your night there."

That was civil, yeah?

Girl had a cold brew of anger burning and she didn't want to unleash it on Souzan. That'd spell diaster like she knew best. "I'm uh, well I'll be here on Tycho for a bit so, maybe tomorrow? When you're sober and this place isn't full of people lookin' for a fight." Or to piss me the hell off, she didn't say but her body showed it. One hand was balled and she kept looking over her shoulder and turned to look down the corridor, "send me a tightbeam later?"

@Souzan Afshani

8. Souzan Afshani

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Souzan sighed and waved, swinging her bulb dangerously.
    "Nah, s'arright." Sending her away would leave her at square one again, after @Morne du Plessis had already been put off by her... for some reason, how did that even go south... wait what. She took a sip

"Why are you even here... I mean, of all places, is Tycho, not a fancy tourist spot, last I heard." Ceres had some appeal to tourists, being what it was, but this Martian marine sure was a traveller in her downtime. Maybe something was wrong?

@Aurelia Juarez

9. Triam Akovin

Triam Akovin Gun-for-hire with a welder...

Character Biography:
    Bio
    This bar sure was busy, and not exactly the good kind of busy. There were Martians here (not a problem [hopefully!]), she spotted one or two Earthers roaming (not a problem [hopefully!]), and the entire club was swarming with OPA celebrations... that was a problem waiting to happen with the two other factors already accounted for. It almost came to a head, after a female OPA Belter confronted a group of Martians, before the Earther intervened and nearly got his block knocked off... and then it was all over, the female was kicked out by what can only be assumed to be her Captain. The two men went to their own corner and began to talk with one another.

Triam, the entire had been drinking elsewhere in the club, just taking in the atmosphere. There was a time when she would've joined all the dancers, and the crazy fights, or hooking up with the nearest good looking slab of meat... but she was a changed person after her father died, after the military, after she was rejected by Mars... stranded out into the Belt to fend for herself. Her skills with a gun, and a welding tool her only reprieve from utter poverty... but as a solo act, had little in the means of getting around. She managed to get to Tycho on her own, but was forced to sell her ship, unable to make enough work on her own to keep it.

So for a time now, that she considers to be too long, she was rather stuck on Tycho Station, and it was getting to a point where she was going to be making enough money to support herself. Taking a sip of something gross and bitter, Triam observed as the Earthers talked to one another, before a female (Martian?) took the attention of the younger man and exited the bar. Triam decided to take a chance and went to sit down next to the man ordering another drink. She had to push through the crowd writhing to the beat of the heavy music.

"Mind if I sit here? I'll buy you a drink for stopping that little situation from turning into bar fight, don't like blood in my sanctuary." Triam smiled gently to the other man.

@Cpt_Buttersworth

10. Cpt_Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Buttersworth had just settled into the comfort of his own company, downing several pints in a row and absent-mindedly tapping at his terminal, checking feeds, news updates and updates from the AI core back on New Providence. The bass of the music provided a comforting vibration that vibrated the heavy coat he wore and penetrated deep into his ribcage. Say what you will about how Fred ran his station before he was taken out, at least he hired decent audio-engineers.

He would have turned around, looked out over the club, watched the younger people dancing and having fun, but he had had such a ridiculous few days all he wanted to was to get blind on someone elses dollar and have a cleaning robot drag him back to his crash-couch when he inevitably passed out on the floor.

Motioning to the barkeep for another pint, he was disturbed by a woman sitting down next to him.

The weathered captain looked sideways at her, not exactly turning to face her but not ignoring her either. He chuckled to himself as the barkeep slid his pint over to him, he lifted it up and downed half of it in one go. "I'd take you up on that lady, but I don't want you to waste your scrip. Drinks are on the house for me and mine tonight, hell, you want a drink, won't cost you anything, hah. So your sanctuary is the bar too? Well I won't turn down polite drinking company." He put the now empty pint glass down on the bar and motioned for the barkeep for two more. He then extended his calloused hand to the woman, "The name is Captain Buttersworth, pleasure to make your acquaintance Miss...?"

@Triam Akovin

#50 Cpt_Buttersworth, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Triam Akovin likes this.
  11. Triam Akovin

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Akovin, Triam Akovin." The woman smiled, gladly accepting the hand, and the drink. It probably was wise not to be spending any more of her paltry amount of money on strangers, whether or not they stopped a bar fight from happening. Tight budget with non-replenishing income and all. The barkeep filled her glass with something a little less gross and bitter (an upgrade from her last drink), and she took a swig to match the captain's.

"So, a Captain, eh? Must have a nice fine ship if you're gettin' free drink here. I used to have a ship... miss her, couldn't afford her." Triam shrugged recounting her experience to the more experienced man. "That's life, yeah?" Triam took another drink, though it was smaller than her last. Don't need to get sloshed immediately after all. It wasn't a contest to see who could drink fastest.

Or at least... it wasn't yet.

@Cpt_Buttersworth

#51 Triam Akovin, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  12. Aurelia Juarez

Aurelia Juarez Hammer and Nails

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Aurelia sighed and lowered her head a moment.

Why was she out here?

Tycho was so far removed from everything she knew, and maybe that was part of the alure. Fuck Juarez. The marine had to get her shit together. The way Sam chuckled after the ball, yeah, Juarez was a wreck without her wife but fuck her. I can move on, get your shit together. Burn up anymore shoreleave and you'll be pushin' Los Brizzy Trams for extra script. "Seein' all the wonders of the Belt," she meant @Souzan Afshani but hell if that came off the way she planned it.

"But uh, if you're not busy... anymore."

Aurelia looked at Souzan and looked over her shoulder.

The brunette turned to look back at the taller woman, "I got a few ideas."

13. Cpt_Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The woman had told quite a tale, one of more misfortune than anything else. It was by some fluke she had ended up on Tycho, one of the better stations on the belt, and not Ceres or worse, Eros. She probably would have been dead by now of it was the latter. Eros...now that was something he had not thought about for a while, the last time he called into that shit-hole was almost a year ago, he had ended up spacing two stowaways after leaving that station, its like the moment you set foot on it, it tries to sink its claws in and infect you with its own brand of depressing poverty.

He realised he was staring absent-mindedly again, at nothing in particular, but long enough for the silence to become slightly awkward. He coughed and cleared his throat, "Oh, pardon me, aha, yes that was quite a story...The expanse is a harsh mistress, I'm not sure quite where I'd be either if it wasn't for a good ship and crew." He had a other sip from his drink and leaned back onto the bar, he'd decided to slow down on the drinking for the time being now that he was interacting with another human being, he signed, not unhappily, and looked back over at the woman, "So you're handy with a gun and you can fix ships eh? Ever considered signing on with another crew? Cheaper than running your own ship, plus usually the pay is decent."

14. Triam Akovin

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Yeah, I know my way around a ships engines and what not, and very good with a gun you could say. I am also for hire. You aren't on one of them martian focus drugs, are ya? Cuz you just read me like a book a bit there," Triam joked with the Captain with a chuckle. She wasn't sure how he discerned she was good with a gun, though being good with a ship was fairly obvious having revealed she had owned one. Perhaps it was her posture and demeanor? She was military trained... or maybe she had gotten sloppy and he noticed her concealed weapon (or he was just good enough to tell she was concealing it).

Regardless, of course she had thought of signing with a crew! There wasn't much else for her to do here on Tycho, except waste away and blow all her money on drink and strangers. There were... other ways she could make money, but she'd rather sell her arm for scrap then reduce herself to that.

"I don't suppose you know any good ships or crews that needs a good mechanic that can fire a gun?" Triam winked at the Captain. She knew that even if she didn't sign on to his crew, he could certainly point in her the right direction. She made a point to raise her glass to her lips with her mechanical arm, revealing just how tinkered and battle scarred it had become over the years.

15. Cpt_Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Hah!" The man let out one loud short laugh, "The last time I had any Martian drugs I ended up crooked for a week! No thank you love, they do not agree with my constitution. Beer on the other hand, agrees very well." He drunk deeply, a slight lean became visible in his posture, like a building part way through collapsing but not quite unstable enough.

The Captain stared at the girl for a moment, looking her up and down, her artificial limb, she wasn't a pushover that was for sure, plus she knew how to drink, which was always a welcome addition on the Saxon. "That depends Miss Akovin, how flexible are your morals? We aren't exactly a boring old freighter, don't be confused by the fact we are docked at Tycho right now, the Saxon is a pirate ship, we are pirates. You okay with that? If one day you find yourself having to part a crew with their oxygen or a ship from its reactor, are you going to follow orders or will you balk? If it's the latter, I have no need for you." He finished his beer and motioned to the barkeep for another two.

"However if you have no issues with this, I can take you on in a probationary sense for 6 months. If you are wanting out you may leave at the next port at any point. If I do not like you, if you disobey the orders of myself or my XO you are spaced, if you succeed, expect good pay and glory of crewing one of the most fearsome vessels to ply the high seas of the solar system. So, what do you say miss?"
    He had a glint in his eye now, and for the first time in a while he was smiling, not cheerfully though, there was something else there, a danger? A warning? In the light of the club the gold of some of his teeth glinted...His right hand slid one of the perspiring newly filled beer glasses over to Triam, his left, he held out to her seal their accord.

@Triam Akovin

Triam Akovin likes this.
  16. Souzan Afshani

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Souzan laughed and waved her arms. "Do I look busy?" She then slowly followed with her eyes where Aurelia had been looking but found nothing in particular and returned to the Martian's face.

"I'd say you found the nummer one wonder of da Belte right here!" she said, pointing at herself with both hands, bulb in one of them, chuckling. She poked her tongue a bit exuberantly. "And I absolutely do not mind and this wonder comes totally for free too...." Her brain took a second or two to process the possibility for a pun and therefore missed the beat. She wasn't outright drunk but the Fuel was doing its job in keeping her a-burn for now. Low gees though.

She leaned closer and sipped from her Rocket Fuel. "So, what you got in mind?" She asked with a low voice.

@Aurelia Juarez

Aurelia Juarez likes this.
  17. Triam Akovin

Character Biography:
    Bio
    That was a tough question to answer. She didn't like the idea of being a pirate, although Earth would probably label her one and even Mars would agree. Despite her misgivings Triam was no stranger to doing things unsavory, she did after all raid an armory before she kicked out of there on a high-g burn... and technically the ship she was inevitably forced to sell was originally one signed to the U.N. Navy. Triam swallowed her nervous pondering's of what it would be like to be a pirate, and chalked it up to naivety. That's what the Martian's had called her, naive in believing she could ever become a Martian after what she had done... that an Earther could ever become a Martian. Triam was forced into this occupation, as a gun-for-hire... and a mercenary didn't have to question their morals any more, because their morals could be bought. It was a fish eat fish world, and Triam decided she was tired of being the smaller fish. She wanted to be a shark.

"I think you've got yourself a hire," Triam answered the Captain's handshake with one of her own, placing her drink down and allowing the metal of her palm to meet flesh. It had taken a bit to answer, and hoped that hesitation wasn't a factor in his judgement. It wasn't like she had much of a choice to accept, even with the threat of getting spaced, she had a plan to make herself too valuable to use such drastic measures... and if not, she had no qualms killing as many people as she could before she ever let herself get spaced.

"When do I begin, Captain?" She asked, making sure to show the respect of his rank.

18. Cpt_Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio

Buttersworth opened his mouth to reply but a second later his hand terminal chimed , lighting up and vibrating its way across the bar. He picked it up and stared at his for a moment, his brow furrowed. "Unfortunately we are going to have to cut this short. My XO is wanting an audience. When you a ready, present at the Saxon with your personal effects. We will be in dock for a few more days as the repairs are carried out. Docking bay 14C."

He got up from his stool and finished the last of his pint. "Barkeep, this woman is crew, see she is awarded the same privileges as the rest of the Saxon's people." The barkeep nodded, walked over to where Triam sat and requested her next order. "I'll see you soon, Miss Akovin." With that, he nodded curtly, turned around on his heel and lurched out of the club, his coat swirling behind him.

Triam Akovin likes this.
  19. Hex Ahmed

Hex Ahmed The best pilot on the entire ship

Discord:
    Kas#8909
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    @Adam Jensen, @Morne du Plessis

If you can meet me in Pulse at 21:00 Tycho time (GMT +8) I'll have a private area set aside.

At least the venue wasn't filled to the brim at this time. There were quite a few empty tables, one of which Hex had picked to wait for the others. He hoped Adam had seen his note and would arrive in time. While he had already planned to do most of the talking, giving the appearance of some kind of professionalism might be a good idea, and arriving late wouldn't exactly aid that plan.
    He had changed his clothes: Instead of the dirty overall, he was now wearing a mostly-clean and relatively formal business jacket over a t-shirt and his last stainless pair of pants. There was a larger terminal on the table in front of him, technically part of the Novaserata's inventory. Hex had even fought with his hair for a while. He considered the ponytail he was sporting now a victory on his part.
    Beside the terminal stood an untouched glass filled with some kind of locally made lemonade - Hex ordered the stuff every time he was here because he liked the advertisement so much, only to realize that he hated the taste. It was like a ritual at this point and he had no intention to stop.

"I hope that Duster is coming soon, we should probably talk about what we are going to tell this Plessis guy - No way in hell is he going to give his 'valuable cargo' to some shady ship heirs who've never had a run together. We don't even have a crew..."
    Hex shook his head, thinking. Well, if the man was as sketchy as he had sounded, maybe he didn't have much choice when picking a contractor. "Whatever. We'll see."

#59 Hex Ahmed, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Morne du Plessis likes this.
  20. Adam Jensen

Adam Jensen Can solve any problem when given enough duct tape

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Some people might have called the bar "half empty". Adam would have called it "too full".

Already regretting doing this: check!

He had made a quick stop at his quarters on the way here, changing into the least 'martian' outfit he could muster other than showing up in an overall. A simple, gray shirt, a black thermovest and trousers made of dark synthetic fibre with a blue stripe on the sides. If worst came to worst, he might actually look more like a tall earther than martian, which he guessed technically qualified for 'try not to be martian'. He ran a hand over his short hair, not to try and style it but to make sure there was nothing like oil or metal dust in them.

As he finally entered the bar proper, he scanned the crowd and found Hex, a glass before him, at a small table close to the back wall. Adam headed over to him.

"This un-martian enough for you? I tried to develop brittle-bone disease on the way here, but it just wouldn't work." he said to Hex, while his focus shifted to ordering a bulb of tea via the table. He'd need it.

"Now, would you mind telling me who we are meeting here? 'Smuggler' is kind of unspecific on Tycho. I mean, I could probably throw something randomly and hit a smuggler."

#60 Adam Jensen, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Morne du Plessis likes this.