BELT Bad Guys

Discussion in 'Open Roleplay' started by Tadgh, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Steven Maguire

Steven Maguire Gotta keep flyin'.

Discord:
    HSAR
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Captain Maguire grimaced. That was a lot of distance. A lot of time to be in a firefight, and if indeed it went that way they could easily get bogged down and overrun.

He rubbed at his eyes, which of course did nothing to stop the gritty feeling that had come after pulling a double shift in the workshop. She hadn't mentioned the conversation up on the flight deck, instead coolly directing him to the newest problem - a persistent containment field weakness across two segments of the tokamak.

Back to business.

"That'd be the best thing. What're you thinkin', we send someone to grab a cart after we set off the alarm? Should be room for three plus target."

Alanna Marston and Raziel like this.
  2. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Get a cart before I think," Tadgh reasoned. "Glen can look after it."

"Aww come on Kearney..." Glen said, making a gesture of protest with one hand.

"Your trigger discipline is piss poor and we're gonna be better off if no one shoots at all I reckon," Tadgh said. "Sorry," he said with a tilt of his head. He'd spoken for the kid, but he wasn't going to lie for him. "Odd question, do we have any binds?" he asked the room.

Alanna Marston and HSAR like this.
  3. Steven Maguire

Discord:
    HSAR
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    "A whole load of plastic cuffs in the locker," Captain Maguire said confidently - as if they used them all the time. "Get the carts, make an entrance, grab the guy. In and out."

Alanna Marston and Tadgh like this.
  4. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    "I won't ask who those belong to," Tadgh replied. He almost immediately regretted saying it. Glen grinned, but he expected it to fall entirely flat with the rest of the crew and to paint him in an unprofessional light.

"But that's it really. So...simple question: how many people are confident with firearms?"

Glen raised a skinny arm and fixed him with a stern glare, still annoyed at being volunteered for cart watching duties.

5. Omar Martinez

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Been in a few firefights me." Omar said. Two of those fights had come since joining Maguire's crew. His first came right before he left Callisto for the first time. However, Omar's "bandolero" nickname had mostly come from robbing people. He generally tried to avoid situations where he'd actually have to fire his gun. That basically came down to planning.

6. Alanna Marston

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Alanna raised a hand as well. "I can manage with one." She'd completed weapons certification in the MCRN, though she'd only once put that training to the test. There was a reason she hadn't been a Marine: she hated the up-close, personal violence of firefights. "I'll need to borrow from you guys, though. I lost my pistol when I got stranded on Pallas."

HSAR likes this.
  7. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    There was a moment where Lyla considered what her response to the question should be. Of course she had experience with firearms, especially in the rougher districts on Eros where she had grown up; but her expertise was better suited into cracking locks or fixing things. Charging off into a firefight with a bunch of trigger happy goons on the other side was not her idea of a fun time.

Her fingers drummed idly against the bottom of her chin and she frowned slightly, listening to the others talk for the time being. The discussion she'd had with Maguire earlier at the end of her shift was still plaguing her thoughts. He had made it pretty clear on how he felt about her even being involved in what he called "bad situations", so she opted to avoid answering the question at all.

Focus on what you're good at.

"Unfortunately, the Azimuth doesn't have a powerful enough intrusion suite to get access to the station's systems remotely, but once we're docked I should be able to plug into the network directly and see what we're dealing with. I can, at least, get you camera access, maybe a few extras if things go smoothly." She offered, looking to Tadgh and Omar.

8. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    [​IMG]

1g had once been all he had known, but that was a very long time ago. Now it was like have a full suitcase dropped on his chest. It wasn't the meager pull of Callisto's gravity - that was too weak - it was the main drive pointed at the surface and arresting the last of their momentum.

The screen moved with his crash couch as he reclined it slightly further. Some of the Martian tech on the Azimuth was holding together well.

What had been a dusty brown orb on his screen had grown until he could resolve surface details. Now the mining colony was visible. Then he could see the docking frame approaching their landing site. Scaffolding a hundred metres tall carried by caterpillar treads just as wide. Heavy mechs were already out on the surface to start loading and unloading.

"Approaching the altitude where they'll get shirty if we keep the main drive burning," Tadgh called out. There wasn't much to see in the surface really. Storage buildings for cargos and docks. Most of the mining colony here was underground.

Alanna Marston, Lyla and HSAR like this.
  9. Steven Maguire

Discord:
    HSAR
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Flight deck, put us down and get over here. We need to get you tooled up," Maguire drawled over the intercom.

He slotted the last cartridge into the helical magazine and locked it into the outdated MCRN-issue assault rifle lying next to him, running a hand over its chipped corners and scratched surfaces. The weapon went on a sling, then over his head, coming to rest against an equally outdated and battered combat suit.

Not a patch on powered armour, but less bulky and considerably lighter than the stuff the Earthers sold. Better, too. Long trails of lead, scorch marks from incendiaries and even the occasional deep scar from a glancing armour-piercing hit was evidence that it had saved many a life during its time.

The captain turned back to the locker and pulled out a handgun. Unlike nearly everything else in the locker, it gleamed with the purity of a genuinely new item. Like everything else, however, it had its own story to tell of how it came to be on the Azimuth. He put it down on the table and laid a spare reload next to it, then started stuffing his tactical vest with spare mags and gear.

#49 Steven Maguire, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Alanna Marston, Tadgh and Lyla like this.
  10. Alanna Marston

Character Biography:
    Bio
    “Aye, switching over to teakettle. We’ll be down in twenty seconds.” The crash couch shifted subtly underneath Alanna as the Azimuth descended through the thin atmosphere of Callisto, spitting nuclear fire. The 1g burn was standard — light, even, compared to what she’d trained for in the navy — but she had been in the Belt so long that it felt crushing nonetheless.

With a twitch of a finger, the main drive shut off, vibrations that rang through the ship instantly ceasing. Somewhere in the bowels of the vessel, water was being redirected past the reactor, boiling into steam, and suddenly the acceleration came back as the teakettle thrusters came to life. The Azimuth would land on its own from here; its Martian tech had held up surprisingly well and it was a straight shot down to the surface, easy enough for even the simplest autopilot.

Alanna unbuckled and stood, moving much more easily now that the drive was off, and slid down the ladder to the armory. Maguire was already there, dressed in outdated and heavily used MCRN light armor. The orange and black brought back welcome and unwelcome memories. She tried to suppress all of them. Now was not the time to lose focus. “Alright, what’ve you got for me, Cap?”

Tadgh, Lyla and HSAR like this.
  11. Steven Maguire

Discord:
    HSAR
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Maguire picked up the handgun, flipped it around and offered it to his newest pilot grip-first.

"New-model officer's PDW, 128 rounds 2-millimetre superposed caseless in a compensating barrel. Same tech the Marines use. Self-defence only, keep the bursts short. It's a quick killer and there's only the one reload."

He fished out a suitable magnetic holster from under the counter and put it next to the spare reload, then pointed at the suit locker.

"If you got training for these suits, I've got a spare with a slow tank leak. Otherwise I'd prefer you take a regular EVA suit and put some trauma plate on top."

The handgun had been payment from a job a year or two back. Martian Naval Intelligence had come calling on his patriotism. That hadn't worked, but pure bribery had - and this Naval Intelligence-issue handgun, the two combat suits and access to the latest reactor software patches had been well worth the price of admission.

Even if he'd had to change the filters twice in order to get the stink of those Special Forces goons out of his recyclers.

#51 Steven Maguire, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Alanna Marston, Tadgh and Lyla like this.
  12. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    The chair hummed as it twisted about on its motors. Tadgh was about to step away from his console when something flashed up on his screen. He murmured to himself as he read the message.

"No rush down there," he called in the general direction of the ladder. "Just had a message from some friends on the docks. Got some Pinkwater staff strutting around the surface docks so unless we want them to open up a big old box of guns we can wait a few minutes for the all clear."

He pulled his hand terminal free and swiped from the display towards the portable device to reroute his messages. Several sounds echoed through the ship as the loading frame was slowly pushed into place against the hull. He took the stairs carefully, letting his brain adjust to the new gravity. It was lighter than he was used to, but still a significant pull compared to being in freefall.

Alanna Marston, Lyla and HSAR like this.
  13. Steven Maguire

Discord:
    HSAR
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Maguire looked down at his weapon, which definitely looked MCRN. Then at his suit, still painted in faded MCRN colours. And finally at his chestplate, on which were stencilled the actual letters "MCRN".

"Yeah," he called back. "Best if we took a minute. We're not exactly inconspicuous here."

Tadgh, Alanna Marston and Lyla like this.
  14. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    After the ship had touched down, Lyla unbuckled the restraints that were strapped over her in the crash couch and made her way over to the locker that was built into the engine room's bulkhead. During their deceleration, she had taken the time to pack a bag with the equipment she was going to need to plug into the facility's network. Much of the gear was military-grade technological equipment and exorbitantly expensive, things that she had brought with her onto the Azimuth.

Because the Azimuth was an ex-MCRN vessel, the environmental suits that came with it were not designed for a tall, lanky belter's build. As such, she had her own suit that she had also brought with her. It wasn't as advanced as the martian suits, but it certainly got the job done.

She clipped the helmet to her belt and then slung her bag over her shoulder. Climbing the ladder up to the ops deck was a simple task with her hands free and she nodded once in greeting to @Tadgh as they arrived on the same landing at the same time. "I should get a move on if I'm going to get to an access node without drawing attention to myself." She said, looking to @Steven Maguire.

Tadgh, HSAR and Alanna Marston like this.
  15. Steven Maguire

Discord:
    HSAR
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    "You goin' boots-only," she got back from him, "Or you takin' a thruster pack, just in case?"

The captain cast a glance at the rack where a small number of heavily-repaired packs were sitting. Regardless of the answer, he moved to her and ran the spacewalker's ritual double-check of the most important systems: rebreather, seals, boots. Second officer or no second officer, argument or no, some things were sacred.

He wasn't losing someone to a rookie error like an unlocked seal or a leaking pipe.

Tadgh, Lyla and Alanna Marston like this.
  16. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Her fingers drummed against the strap of her bag in contemplation, mouth quirked a little to the side. "Boots only. I don't want to bring anything with me that's going to be plastered with MCRN decals, or that can connect me directly back to the Azimuth."

Once Maguire had double checked her equipment, which was unsurprisingly in good condition, she pulled raised her arm and tapped onto the screen that was built into the sleeve. It allowed her to access her hand terminal without having to fish the device out of a pocket. "We've an encrypted channel open, should you need to contact me. I'll ping you once I've gotten set up."

Alanna Marston, Tadgh and HSAR like this.
  17. Steven Maguire

Discord:
    HSAR
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    The Captain nodded brusquely. He didn't like it, and she'd read that off him, but on this matter he had to concede. Like most Belters, Lyla had a natural instinct in zero-gee that someone born in a gravity well would never be able to replicate. She knew what she was doing.

"Aight. You take care of yourself, now. See you back here when we're done."

Alanna Marston and Tadgh like this.
  18. Tadgh

Discord:
    Raziel
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    "If you're going now, maybe don't take a visible weapon," Tadgh advised, but she didn't seem to have picked one up anyway. The last thing they needed was trouble from Pinkwater up front. If she was taken she would at least be in the building they were headed to.

"See you at the end."

There was a note in Maguire's voice that he would have rather had her suited up, but he could see both sides of it. So did the captain, or else he would have turned that into an order.

Tadgh had an old earth model carbine. It was compact, reliable and could take a wide range of self propelled rounds for use in low gravity. It was also affordable, in case he lost it.

"Should we keep the weapons concealed until we reach the bottom of the lifts?"

19. Lyla

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Tadgh advising her not to carry a visible weapon was a reminder of how new this entire crew was. Lyla wasn't one to walk around armed to the teeth. In fact, she rarely carried a firearm at all. This wasn't the time to point that out to the newcomer, so she just offered a wry smile and dipped her head. "Sure thing, sir."

Once there was a natural lull in the conversation, she turned to make her way down to the airlock. As the inner door slid open, she plopped her helmet into place and twisted it slightly to engage the seal. Before she ran the cycle, she ran one last check on her systems to make sure that there weren't any unnoticed leaks. Satisfied that all was well, she smacked the button and waited patiently for the outer door to slowly slide open.

She glanced down at her wrist pad, noting the little green path that she had mapped out on the journey to the small mining colony. Hopefully, she schematics of this place hadn't changed too much in recent years.

Alanna Marston, HSAR and Tadgh like this.
  20. Yasmina Kasari

Yasmina Kasari Captain, UNN Yeager

Discord:
    HSAR
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    Bridge, UNN Yeager, Circum-Callisto Space

Captain Kasari watched on the main screen while the tiny little mining scow lit its fusion torch and accelerated away at a gentle half-gee.

"Yeager Control, departure transmission from Avatar. Systems green, operation is go."

"Comms, acknowledge transmission. Godspeed, Avatar."

Yasmina wished once again that there had been more time to set something better up for this operation. It had been a huge rush to get all the pieces - the ship, a backup crew, a cover story that could withstand a bit of scrutiny - and it had been a delicate mission even before that. The whole thing was one set of risks upon another.

But that, the captain reflected, was life.

#60 Yasmina Kasari, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018