1. Wild Frontier

The Wild Frontier has opened. Stake your claim as we enter Chapter 5 and a new era for the Expanse RP!

Dismiss Notice

EARTH An Interview

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Emmet Sheldon, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Emmet Sheldon

Emmet Sheldon Deputy Undersecretary of Political Affairs

Character Biography:
    Bio
    [​IMG]
    Chicago, Earth, A Few Days Prior to the Meeting

He had to do this. He had to get an opinion from a belter about their situation. He had a good idea of what was going on on his planet, but he had absolutely no idea what was going on elsewhere, aside from diplomatic meetings. He had to conduct this long-distance meeting with well-known captain of the NPS Kanyari, Damian Slavko. He had to find out their motives to figure out what was the best way to deal with the increasing UN-Belt tensions and to decrease fearful perceptions of the distant, yet close place of seemingly absolute chaos.

He turned on his console and started to adjust his frequency to Damian's last known location, New Providence. He then attempted to call the station.

A disgruntled security member aboard the station answered the call.

"Yes, this is Deputy Undersecretary Emmet Sheldon of the United Nations. I'm here to inquire about Damian Slavko."

The security member answered back in an angered tone, asking why aggressively.

@Damian Slavko

2. Damian Slavko

Damian Slavko Captain of The Kanyari

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Damian was relaxing in his bunk on the Kanyari, which was docked at New Providence station, smoking a cigarette with his eyes closed. Snoring beside him was a tall Belter girl with pale, tattoo-covered skin. His hand terminal chimed, waking her for just long enough to stop the snoring. He slid out of bed and answered it, and the voice that issued was young and tense.

“Pashang earther cocksucker wants to talk to you, Cap,” it grunted.

“Which one?” asked Damian.

“Deputy Undersecretary of the United pashang Nations.”

Damian's eyes widened. Just months ago he was the captain of a junker, and now he was getting calls from UN officials. Nothing ever stops moving in space.

He got dressed and headed to the cockpit, ordered the rest of the crew to vacate, and climbed into a crash couch. Breathing deeply, he answered the call of the Earther on the Kanyari's giant screen.

“Mr. Deputy Undersecretary,” said Damian in his thick Belter accent. He stared resolutely at the camera in front of him, waiting for the response.

“The speed of light is too pashang slow,” Damian thought.

Her Manus likes this.
  3. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Sheldon was lucky that he got the belter that he needed this time. He had been calling to get Damian for a long time.

"Ah yes, hello Captain. I wanted to ask you a few questions regarding your standing with us, the UN. I have gotten a taste of, uhh, current relations. I'll ask broadly first: how do you feel about us?"

4. Damian Slavko

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "I'm sure you're aware of my reputation," Damian said. His father was Ivan Slavko, head of Kasi Deya station and the OPA cell that inhabited it. Damian himself was known for illegal racing, drug smuggling, and working for Buttersworth. He was no stranger to UN authorities.
    "I might not have the highest opinion of your planet or government or you," he continued. "But I see no reason why we can't be civil, keya?"
    The Earther looked perplexed. Damian smiled.
    "Right?"

5. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Absolutely. The UN is just attempting to keep control of the Belt because we are still your leaders. Don't get me wrong, I'm against the current approach. Why are you fighting for the OPA, personally?"

Damian Slavko likes this.
  6. Damian Slavko

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Because I'm a Belter," said Damian. "Milowda all OPA. 'Milowda' means 'we.' I mean to say pretty much every Belter is involved with the OPA in some way. You would be hard-pressed to find a Belter who didn't wish for independence. Whether that means a war with Earth, or cooperation with them is another matter. Personally, I don't care. My people deserve a home no matter how they get it. Others, though? Others think war is the only way, whether it ends in independence or total destruction. In their minds, Inners owe us back all the lives they stole.
    "Mind if I smoke?" he asked, lighting a cigarette. He continued, "I don't see what looking back is good for, me."

7. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Sheldon gestures to go on with him lighting a cigarette.

"I'm really sorry that you all feel that we inners have stolen your lives. I really do, but because we are tight on resources and are still figuring out how to efficiently recycle our waste, we have to depend on you. I do promise that I will try to cooperate with you."

He flips through his pages of proposed cooperative measures.

"This is very important for meetings I will attend to after this interview, and I will need your opinion, more suitable if you do ask around. How do you feel about a Belter elected UN council?"

8. Damian Slavko

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Pahaha!" Damian burst out. "Excuse me, sorry. I just really don't think that would go over as well as you think." Damian extinguished his cigarette and sighed. "Belters want to cast off the chains of Earth, not simply polish them. Any compromise or deal that doesn't move towards independence will likely not gain any traction. Whatever your motives are, that's how they will best be served."
    Damian's eyes narrowed.
    "What are your motives, anyway? What's the crisis that you had to call me?"

9. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "I simply sympathize how you guys haven't had any recognition from the United Nations, even though you should because it's in our name. We shouldn't be a government serving Earth. We should be governing everything else with a fair hand, not an iron fist. It's shocking how we haven't set up any sort of system to let you Belters have a say in our affairs. Now look's what happened. It's history repeating itself. Mars didn't have a council in the UN for themselves. They seceded. I just hope that we work out something fair for the both of us."

10. Damian Slavko

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "I appreciate the diplomatic approach, Mr. Sheldon, I really do. Just take heed that any move not Belter-led is going to be seen as naivety if not malice. My advice is to get an OPA official to co-sponsor the bill with you. That's going to be hard." Just then, Damian heard an insistent knock echo through the hull of the ship. "I have to go, but you know where to find me now. Fing ematim."
    Damian disconnected and exited the comm screen.
    "Tumang pagal," he thought. "Belter's never gonya go fo dat."

11. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Sheldon sighed, having gotten valuable info from a cooperative man. He closed the comm screen and went to his sofa to ponder.

After doing so for 10 minutes, he went to his comm screen again and pinged OPA poltician Kealoha Scarsi.

*roleplay restarts*

@Kealoha Scarsi

#11 Emmet Sheldon, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    Her Manus likes this.
  12. Kealoha Scarsi

Kealoha Scarsi OPA Politican

Scarsi was sitting in a portbar on Ceres when he suddenly got a ping from his terminal. He paid his bill and left the bar for a OPA safehouse nearby.

There he finally accepted the call, his vision was still blurred because of the injury but he had adjusted to it and could operate his hand terminal if necessary.

"Yes, who is dis?"

13. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    He was glad that the ping was picked up instantly.

"Hello, this is Deputy Undersecretary Emmet Sheldon of the United Nations. I am calling you to inform you about the prospect of creating a Belt-run council in the UN, system based on Earth-based administrative zones. I want a plan where we can work out Belter-Earth tensions peacefully and expand the UN to include the interests of the Belt, as I believe you guys to be a nation. I figured it be best to do that with an OPA politician."

Her Manus likes this.
  14. Kealoha Scarsi

Kealoha Scarsi OPA Politican

When Scarsi heard the words "Belt-run council" he burst out in laughter. It wasn't like he didn't take him seriously, but he'd spend years working to get both parties closer to each other, and now an eartha just came up to him and was like "yeah lets work together".

"I am Kealoha Scarsi. Well you disagree wit yerself dere. To say to recognize de belta as a nation but at da same time you wanna make beltalowda part of the UN."

"No doubt you bring up good points, but dat aint wat da belta want. Da belt wants its freedom, beltalowda wanna do shit demselves, das wat all da rebellion is about."

"Mi would be happy to assist ya in resolving de tension between da belt and de UN. But a belt run council would never work out, questionable even if ya would get enough beltalowda together to represent da belt."

15. Emmet Sheldon

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Sheldon was getting somewhere.

"Wonderful. I'm glad we can agree to that point. I'm more lenient to you guys getting your independence, but some people in this government would love to still take advantage of any further relations post-independence. The basis is that we're still trying to figure out how to effectively recycle our scarce resources, and for the time being, we're pulling from the Belt. It's just how it is. I've also noticed that you have your own navy, more or less. Tell me, what is the purpose of it?"

#15 Emmet Sheldon, Jul 13, 2019 at 7:11 PM
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 7:33 PM
    Her Manus likes this.