FRONTIER Aftermath

Discussion in 'Open Roleplay' started by Destin Antares Hunter, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Destin Antares Hunter

Destin Antares Hunter Commander, Vernier Federal Navy

Character Biography:
    Bio
    CIC - MCRN Baltisk - Providentia system - Frontier​

The Baltisk came to a stop at the OCB, proudly bearing its battle scars and a new commander.
    Indeed, Destin Antares Hunter stood at the command deck, observing on the screens the disarmament of the ship, as per Providentian custom. Yes, the Revenge didn't disarm itself, but it was the Providentian flagship. The Baltisk on the other hand, was a rogue Martian battleship stolen by a different rogue Martian entity. The few remaining PDCs were stripped and stored in the hangar deck.

Captain Juliette Allison said, "Alright, seems like everything's done. I'll park this beast out here and you can take a shuttle in."

Destin responded, "Alright. But I want every ship captain except for Darrelson to be with me at the debriefing. And although this is Nautilian custom, please, pretty please do not bring your guns. Sidearms are fine, but don't waltz in like you're boarding the OCB."

"Why not Darrelson?"

"He's gonna take the data core with all the super secret Martian tech on his ship and go dark for a bit. When the coast is clear he is to burn hard for Nautilus, and after he's there, I can finally buy my way to a seat at the table. It's about time the frontier has a say in things."

"I'll take your word for it then."

Destin walked down to the hangar again, where the Kopis lay waiting. He wasn't going to take that ship, but the one right next to it. The Archer, where this saga began, was also docked in the hangar. It was going to take him and the several surviving captains (many interceptor captains were actually dragged from their wrecks alive) to the OCB and to Buttersworth. There they would discuss the events that transpired and what course of action to take in response.
    The Resolute had just left, data core in hand. They'd thrown grenades into the panel where the core was on the Baltisk to make it seem like they hadn't taken it.

He entered the Archer for the first time in what felt like a hundred years.
    His now-XO Felicia Sobieski greeted him with a hug. Yes, they'd suffered heavy casualties, but every Nautilian sailor knew that it was all worth the data core, which had top secret Martian information as well as rogue movements. The Martians would be in desperate need of said core, and Destin could finally pull some strings with the Sol Coalition.

"It's been ages. Welcome back!"

"Thanks. I'm very tired. Did y'all mess with my cabin?"

Felicia flashed him a sly smile. They hadn't, why would they, but he was trying to make light of a dark day.

"Alright. Well I gotta go to the ops deck to tell Buttersworth not to blow me up."

Destin noticed the other captains gathering in the decks below, and went upstairs to message Buttersworth. Once he reached the console, he dusted off the chair and sat down in it, the familiar gel of the crash couch hugging his body. He pointed the comm laser at the OCB and fired up a transmission. Meanwhile, the Archer was flown out of the Baltisk's hangar, piloted remotely by acting Captain Konrad Parrish of the captured MCRN Baltisk.

"Buttersworth, this is Hunter. I'm going out of the Baltisk right now. My ship has all of its PDC ammo removed and torpedoes taken out of their tubes. We are completely unarmed. I'm requesting a berth at the OCB. I think the Frontier oughta have a say now, and I know how to get us a seat at the table. Hunter out."

@William Buttersworth

#1 Destin Antares Hunter, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Walter Jenkins likes this.
  2. William Buttersworth

William Buttersworth Director of PS&E, Captain of the Revenge

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The Revenge slowly moved into the cavernous drydock of the OCB. The station itself was essentially a huge rectangular prism. Raw materials were brought in one end, and out the other came starships. The entire interior was hollow and partitiond into various industrial facilities. Ore processing plants, smelters, foundries, steel works, nuclear enrichment plants, munitions factories, shipyards, bars, brothels, docks and living quarters too. Currently, dozens of starships were being towed within to begin their repairs, several of them twisted and blackened skeletons, their superstructures warped from the intense heat of the attacks they endured. The Kanny was there too, not that it was damaged. But it would be good to see Rachel.

William raised his eyebrow. The OCB was not in the habit is disarming anyone anymore, much less turning away people during a time of crisis. He typed out a quick reply and sent it off before leaning back into the command seat. The deck rumbled and vibrated as several tug drones latched onto his ships hull and pulled it inside the station, where huge gantries lowered around it and began to repair the damage.

---

OCB Station Traffic Control Centre

"Captured MCRN vessel designation Baltisk, we have received your docking clearance. Release all drive control to us, we'll take you in." Out of the OCB flew a swarm of tug drones which within minutes had latched themselves onto any spare point on its hull, their drives firing in unison. Slowly and steadily, the battered MCRN warship was pulled inside the station alongside the Revenge.

3. Destin Antares Hunter

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Orbital City Builder - Providentia System - Frontier
    The humbled giant eased itself into port, assisted by the gentle touch of the OCB's drones. Destin watched from a screen on the Archer, as the ship he was on arrived as well. The Martians were to be offloaded and repatriated as fast as possible, but some of them decided to stay with Hunter and the Nautilians.

Hunter descended to the docking tube where the remaining captains and Sobieski gathered, ready to transfer to the OCB. Destin wasn't exactly ready however, for he'd lost many loyal sailors as well as his XO. He took a moment far away from the crowd with his face buried in his hands, determined that he'd single-handedly caused the deaths of all five hundred seventy-two sailors who fell in the name of the Vernier Federal Navy. Boy did he miss being a pawn in the great Martian machine.

When he had held back his tears he marched proudly with the rest of his troopers, sidearm proudly at his hip. He headed towards the recently docked Kanyari. His time in the Martian black ops service had given him the knowledge that the captain of the Kanyari was one of Buttersworth's godparents, though he did not remember her name.

"Hey y'all, if you want to get some drinks you're free to do so. Consider yourselves at liberty."

With that, an erstwhile former Martian captain set off to find a Belter admiral who almost was his enemy.

#3 Destin Antares Hunter, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  4. Rachel Lei

Rachel Lei Free Agent of Providentia

Character Biography:
    Bio
    For the first time in months, Rachel stepped aboard the Orbital City Builder and breathed its (slightly stale) air. The Kanyari hung from a docking gantry behind her, its yellow hull gleaming brilliantly in the massive floodlights that filled the docks. Down the docking tube, the rest of the Kanny's crew floated in, each nodding to her as they floated by on their way to the concourse. She waited until the last disembarked before closing and locking down the airlock and turning to leave the docks herself. But as she spun around and prepared to push off the bulkhead, a figure emerged from the shadows nearby.

William Buttersworth cut an imposing silhouette. Not only did his eyes seem to glow slightly from his optical augmentations, but his shoulders, arms and core seemed to be larger every time she saw him, and she was sure it wasn't due to the amount of time he spent in the gym. "Hello Rachel," he said, floating across the empty room towards her.

"Hey Bill," she said awkwardly, pushing some hair out of her face. She had known him since she was a teenager, when her former Captain had made her his godmother. Not that she really ever cared for the title, she found it frankly ridiculous. But it had kept a (meager) bond between them alive, and he had provided a lot of employment over the years. "Didn't expect you to come all the way down to the docks to meet me."

He raised his arms and gestured around him, "my ship is parked nearby...not in good a shape as yours...but it didn't take me long to get here." He floated steadily towards her and a few moments later they embraced like long lost siblings. "It's been too long Rachel. You really saved our asses back there."

"Yeah...about that..." She said, her voice taking on a dark tone. "I uh...I saw Bart."

5. Destin Antares Hunter

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Orbital City Builder - Providentia System - Frontier​

Destin Hunter stood in a corner by a nearby bar, which was called the Renegade’s Tavern. He’d seen one back on Emeria Station, and the familiar reddish neon lights of the classic RT logo also found at the original site on Emeria Station that he hadn’t seen in over eighteen years. The bartender appeared busy with several Providentian sailors who'd just returned. Destin pushed off and bounced around looking for the Kanyari, of course with the OCB not having any gravity there was barely an up or down, and walking was never an option, unless you wore magboots like the majority of the Earthers and Martians who frequented the station on business. Destin took more kindly to the Belter way of zero-g travel and zoomed past the crowds dodging people left and right.
    After what felt like an eternity, his one good eye finally spotted the Kanyari and its crew. He lurked a safe distance away, and watched as Buttersworth and Lei, he'd remembered the name, talking with somber expressions on their faces. He propped himself up, engaged his boots, and patiently waited. He'd be rather obvious, being the only man with his boots on in the area.
    Destin wondered where Ashlen was. He missed her.

6. William Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    William listened to Rachels account of what happened on the Kanyari's expedition into the planet, her visions of his father, his warning of the impending global catastrophe, the strange and gigantic inner workings of the world his people had settled on. It should have worried him, but instead it seemed to fill him with an almost unbearable feeling of impatience and fascination. While they talked, he relayed that his friend had told him to the Core which in turn dispatched dozens of transports to the opening near the excavation site. Teams of researchers would begin to delve into the massive subterranean network of tunnels and caverns and discover the secrets of the world.

In a way, desecrating his fathers remains had been the right thing to do. If he had not injected that tiny sample of protomolecule into the dying mans brain and connected his consciousness with the strand, galaxy spanning entity that is the protomolecule, they would not be standing here currently. Providentia would be a burning, irradiated wasteland. His people once again nationless and adrift in space, at the mercy of the inya.

Rachel seemed deflated after the discussion. Sad, angry, even a bit confused. "I'm not going back down there Bill, not for a while at least. It was creepy enough without the ghosts. I think I'll take the Slipstream and head back to the gate, see the sights. The Kanny and it's crew need a bit of shore leave anyway."

Bill nodded solemnly, Rachel was one of the strongest people he had ever met but even she had her breaking point. "Look after yourself Rachel, if you ever need anything you know where to find me." They hugged, and Rachel left to say farewell to her crew.

Bill stood there for a moment, watching the woman leave before his attention was caught by a man looking straight at him. He looked familiar and it took not a microsecond for the Core to inform him of this individuals identity. Destin Antares Hunter, Commander of the Vernier Federal Navy and currently his greatest ally. Bill smiled, clicked off his magboots and floated over to him.

"Commander Hunter, I did not expect to see you in such informal circumstances. I was hoping to have a celebration down on the surface to properly acknowledge all you have done for my people," he extended his hand which Hunter shook. "Thank you for your assistance, your deeds will not be forgotten by Providentia."

7. Destin Antares Hunter

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Well, celebration must wait, I'm afraid. There's gonna be some backlash from Mars and Earth. After all, we just slaughtered a bunch of their sailors. The fact that I am a rogue doesn't help things either. I came to your aid for a reason. If Providentia fell without aid from other colonies, it would make the frontier look squishy and moldable to the Inners' will. I know I'm technically an Inner, but they all hate me. Plus I don't live there anymore. My navy's going home. But I still have to give Mars back their surviving sailors, and I have to figure out how to claim their dreadnought as legitimate salvage. But now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind having a drink or two. Not like the Martians are gonna care, they've got bigger problems."

@William Buttersworth

8. William Buttersworth

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Williams expression hardened as the man talked. After the former Martain had finished, Bill began to walk down the corridor, motioning for Destin to walk with him. "Commander Hunter, I disagree on your assessment of the situation. We did not slaughter sailors, we were defending ourselves against an existential threat. We taught them a lesson, and one the inners will hopefully not forget for some time." He climbed into a cart, one of the many thousands that dotted the station, transporting its inhabitants throughout the massive station.

Destin climbed in next to him and with a slight lurch, the cart began to move. "What you said, regarding how this will appear to the inners is important, I agree, it is important to present ourselves not as colonies to be controlled and extorted, but nations to be respected. We can hold our own now, and come to each others aid. I believe it is in our best interest to form a defensive pact between our two nations, and others who have aligned themselves with us. As a gesture of good will, I will see to it that the battleship you salvaged will be repaired and refit. I will then deliver it personally to your system."

The cart came to a slow stop outside a bar. "You mentioned something about a drink?"

#8 William Buttersworth, Mar 30, 2020 at 3:57 AM
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020 at 3:22 AM
  9. Destin Antares Hunter

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Destin was rather shocked at Buttersworth's offer. A Donnager-class battleship was clear violation of Donnager's law, funnily enough, and he wasn't sure if the doctrine of mobility that the VFN and before that, Task Force 55.7, had adopted. Destin personally planned to sell the Martians back their own ship. Because the Martians were in a civil war, he planned to start a bidding competition between the warring factions fighting for control over Mars. But for now, he wanted one thing above all else. The VX-12 Foehammer railguns on the Donnager were the most powerful kinetic weapon in human history at the time, and he could use a reverse-engineered version of them as orbital defense platforms near important sites such as Covenant Shipyards, the Gyracan Orbital Science Outpost, Independence Station, and possibly bring some down to Nautilus itself to serve as extremely-long range artillery.
    The Albion-class carriers were a temperamental design, and a replacement, the Battleaxe-class amphibious assault ship was to become the core of any new Confederate fleet. Twelve were planned, and development on any ship larger than a cruiser was halted in order to divert supplies to the new ships. Following any negotiations with Providentia, the VFN would need heavy restructuring, and a training system. Destin figured he and the surviving MCRN vets could form an elite unit that would train other sailors. The newly trained sailors would then fight alongside the veterans, replacing the veterans as they fell or retired. Not to mention, the reorganization of the five orbital defense fleets and the two expeditionary fleets.

"I don't drink, but I figure we both need one right now."

Destin looked behind him, and something caught his eye. No, a person. Orange dockworker's vest, but she was carrying something. A briefcase. He'd seen the woman eyeing him at the tube station. There was no way this was coincidence.

"We've got a tail, Admiral."