FRONTIER A New Weapon

Discussion in 'Open Roleplay' started by Naomi Wu, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Naomi Wu

The latest Martian pop-punk blasts through the speakers in the nearly empty workshop. A single Martian stands there, wearing overalls and visor'd mask. Sparks fly from in-front of her, and on the table, what looks to be heavily modified Powered Armor. She bobs her head to the tune while welding the new armour. The takes a deep breath in, and heaves the heavy breast plate up, taking a couple steps to the right and dropping it down on a table with a thunk. She wipes her brow, having broken a sweat from the lifting.

Glancing towards all of the pieces, a smile develops on her face. Lifting up the mask to reveal her face, she takes out her hand terminal, and taps on it. The suit had been linked up so she could make changes from a distance. One tap here, and the gun on the wrist whirrs to life, spinning up, and slowing down. Another tap there causes the HUD to enable, a feint red glow enveloping inside the helmet.

"Fuck yea!" Naomi exclaims.

"This'll shift the balance... No more clunky non-sense." She continues, tapping another button on her hand terminal, however nothing happens.

"Wait- ah, shit!" The Martian shouts, grabbing the heavy boots, and with an effort, lifts them up and onto the workbench.

Without another word, Naomi gets back to work, flipping the mask down, and examining the boots. Somewhere down the line, the mags stopped working. While working, even outside the workshop, banging could definitely be heard over the loud music. Whether it's methodical hammering, or Naomi kicking table legs in anger. The project had been a secret kept only to Naomi for quite a while now. She had read up on all of the documents regarding Powered Armor, she knows how her own works inside and out, as any good Recon Marine should, but she saw ways it could be improved. A 'Stealth' version, lighter, and capable of concealing heat signatures, while still retaining the mobility enhancements, and firepower that the regular armour does.

2. Karen Ashoka

Karen Ashoka Patrolling the Slow Zone

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Karen Ashoka walked through the decks of the MCRN Templar, carrying out her usual daily inspection. She checked suits were well maintained, seals were not ruptured, ammo clips were full, emergency oxygen bottles were topped up, fire extinguishers full and functioning. She also made sure her crew properly maintained their ship...their home...and kept it at the highest standards. Some of the crew joked occasionally that she would do her tour just so the could complain about now being able to see her reflection in the bulkhead.

The bridge was perfect, the mess, also in good shape considering breakfast had just finished. The airlock and cargo bay were adequately prepared as were the crew quarters and armoury. That left the machine shop and engineering and from here she could hear the distinct thump of the music that seemed to be a constant fixture this far down in the ship.

Gripping the ladder, she slid down until her boots landed on the deck with a clang.

Ashoka had to hide an amused smile as her engineer, Naomi Wu, fussed over a beat up old suit of Goliath Armour. She still hadn't gotten a straight answer out of the woman as to how exactly she procured it, all she knew was that in the state it was in when it arrived aboard the Templar, it was in no state to fight. However Naomi had been aboard for a few months now, and the work she had done on it was nothing short of impressive.

"Hows our little project coming along, Wu?" She asked, circling the workbench slowly.

Naomi Wu likes this.
  3. Naomi Wu

Naomi jumped, startled that some one had entered the room, knowing immediately it was her commanding officer she spun around and saluted, clapping her heels together. Once dismissed, she eased off, and gestured towards the armour.

"Well, it's going, for sure. Quite good, actually. It's wearable, and as far as I can tell, my key alterations work. I installed a small chip, that works like ship stealth tech, but for powered armour. It conceals it's thermal signature, making it so that we wouldn't appear on enemy HUD's, as well as thermal coating, meaning that even with the latest in thermal imaging tech, we would be invisible..." Naomi trails off, glancing over the armour.

"OH! Shoot! I also made some modifications to the joints. Really, I just replaced them. The Mark Vs should be using these, I don't know why they don't, but they're completely silent!" Naomi exclaims, taking out her hand terminal, and moving a slider, it translated 1 to 1 in making one of the arms move. As she stated, it's dead silent.

"I also made a couple other small changes to things like the visor, when the HUD is enabled, a one-way frosting effect happens, meaning that the red light of the HUD doesn't illuminate the user." Naomi's obviously excited, and whether it be because of her comrades, but she has been developing a 'cowboy' accent.

"Whattya think, Commander?" She places her hands on her hips, and puffs out her chest in pride.

4. Karen Ashoka

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Ashoka stopped and leaned over the bench, examining the armour in detail with narrowed eyes. "Honestly, I'm surprised you managed to get this thing working at all," she straightened back up and rounded the table to where Naomi stood. "The stealth coating is...surprising, something you brought with you before you were assigned here? I sure as hell don't remember signing any requisition forms for stealth composites."

Naomi gave a rueful look to which Ashoka rolled her eyes. "I let you get away with far too much Sergeant Wu. Luckily I have a need for mad scientists." She tapped at her terminal, linking with the suits computer system. Both of its mechanical arms lifted up from the table and performed a range of motions without so much as a pneumatic hiss. "Impressive...I wondered how the hell you got shafted from your old position and assigned to frontier patrols...and looking at this...I'm pretty sure whoever you were working for felt threatened," Naomi opened her mouth to speak but Ashoka put up her hand to silence her.

She straightened her back and continued to walk around the table, her mag boots clicking methodically with each step until she arrived at the head of the table and the opaque face-plate. "The new visor design is smart...and definitely has a significant intimidation factor, people will freak out if they see one of these faceless monsters hurtling at them...Good work Sergeant, I'll put in a request to command once we transition the gate and are back in the Hub, we should field test this asap."

Naomi Wu likes this.
  5. Naomi Wu

Naomi scratches her cheek, biting her lip before confessing. "Bought it off a Belter market on the net. Fair scavenge they promised. I can only assume it's Protogen, however there were no markings or serial IDs." She raises a cheek, before giving a blase shrug.

She continues showing off the armour, moving onto the boots. "It's not quite finished yet, the mag boots don't work, I think the other systems are consuming too much power. Scanner, and IR ADS's require a greater battery than what we got in the Gen V. I could probably install two more on the outer area of both thighs, but that would add more bulk, and I want to avoid giving them massive backpacks, I want to maintain the whole 'maneuverability through narrow spaces' mentality of the classic Goliath Armour. But, here, look at this." She states, moving the armour aside, and pulling out a notebook.

Naomi flips through a couple pages, the earliest show some crude doodles of large machines, looking like mech rigs, but fitted for war. The latest which is about half way through. "Yea, yea, I know, 'gee, who uses PAPER anymore?', I prefer the feel of writing on it than my terminal." She then slides the notebook over to her Commanding Officer.

The scribbles have improved, however it's still quite obvious that Naomi is no artist. The images are easily made out, however, it's a sleeker design from the Gen V Goliath Armour, with thinner armour, replaced instead by stealth composites which deflect thermal signatures. All of the information for a production of the armour is needed. Plate thickness, outside pressure rating, as well as the weight of the entire armour suit, fully loaded with ammunition, which to be a little more heavy than standard powered armour, at 428 kilograms. The reason being subsonic ammunition, as well as heavier barreled weapons for suppressed fire.

"Those include hypothetical changes I would make, with the proper equipment. But uh, getting subsonic ammo and stuff is kind of hard, so." Naomi let's the sentence dangle, with a shrug.

"I'm glad you like it, though. I feel like these kinds of changes would be a massive boon. We might not be at war right now, and as such, military technology progression has slowed down, but pirates are progressing, so should we." She states, placing her hands on her hips while watching Ashoka pan the notebook in silence.

6. Karen Ashoka

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Karen flipped through the pages, lightly rubbing one of them between her thumb and index finger to feel the texture. It was rough, but also pleasant in a way, the smell was unlike anything she had smelled before. The sheer fact that Naomi had paper, let alone a book set off several alarms in her mind. Maybe she wasn't just a gifted engineer, perhaps she had powerful, rich parents? Why was she sent to the frontier then? How could she know who to buy stealth composites off?

As soon as they arrived, she banished the thoughts and focused instead on the drawings. They progressed from crude combat mech designs, full of servos, large armour plated cockpits, outboard reactors...all the way to ultra modern Goliath variants. The last page which had designs drawn on it showed, what Ashoka assumed, was Naomi's vision for the future of the Goliath battle armour. It was tough looking, heavily armored, but sleek with a almost alien profile.

She closed the book and handed it back to Naomi. "There is talk of a research base the Navy is setting up in the Balcora system. From the cargo manifests I have reviewed personally, it would seem that this could be the source of your...black market stealth composites. It is also the focus of a joint MCRN-Providentia weapons program using technologies derived from the Protomolecule..." Ashoka smiled grimly at Naomi's reaction, "yeah that blue shit that turned Eros into a fucking missile. It's mostly off the books, or so I'm told...It's also the location of our next patrol. We should be able to make some additions to your suit there, plus hopefully a field test."

She looked over the suit once more before straightening her back and facing Naomi. "If stealth composites are making their way into the black market, we need to find the leak and stop it." They stood there for a moment, when suddenly the lights in the engineering bay turned blue and an alert tone sounded. "All hands report to stations, gate transition will occur in two minutes," came an announcement over the PA. "Sergeant Wu, after you," Ashoka said, motioning towards the ladder up to the ops deck.

#6 Karen Ashoka, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Naomi Wu likes this.
  7. Naomi Wu

Naomi quickly grabs the items she was working on, and sticks them into a box, sliding it back into a shelf, and flicking a latch, ensuring it won't slide open in higher Gs. Naomi grabs her notebook, and stows the battered thing into her overalls. While she grabs the ladder, she continues speaking run by rung.

"If yer wonderin' where I got it, the notebook I mean, I got it when I was in University, back on Mars. My parents got it for me. My mom was a Marine, like me now, and my pa was a Senator, working in Londres Nova, where I was born. While I was in University, he got a promotion, and became the Governor of 'Los Brisbanos de Bled'." Which she absolutely butchers the pronunciation of.

"Apparentaly he got a pretty decent pay raise as well. And gave that to me, still woulda preferred to have shown him my inventions though, but hey, it's a pretty cool gift. Not everyone has paper, right?" Naomi jokes, as she hoists herself up and into the ops deck.

Naomi quickly finds a seat to sit down in, and straps in for the transition. Despite the 'hub' having been essentially colonized, she still feels incredibly weird when it comes to moving in and out of it, only having done it twice before. The concept of a 'speed limit' scares her, even if it didn't really exist anymore. She, like everyone else, has seen the video of the belter becoming liquefied when the gate opened for the first time, and she didn't want it to happen again. Who ever was behind the creation of the protomolecule technology was gone, and they had access to a personal wormhole. Why would they be gone? Certainly not over expansion. She just hoped humanity didn't meet the same end.

8. Karen Ashoka

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Los Brisbanos eh? I spent a high school break there one year, nice city, though I couldn't get over their accents," Ashoka replied, climbing into her crash couch and strapping in. Ahead of them, the Providentia Gate loomed, thousands of lights hovered around it, centered around four stations located like points on a compass, at the sides, top and bottom. "Goddamn belters...Gotta hand it to 'em, when they set their mind to something...they can build pretty impressive things..." She zoomed one of the Templar's scopes in on one of the stations, watching as dozens of skiffs swarmed around, carrying materials, welding, building...

"MCRN Templar, this is Providentia Gate Control. You have been cleared for transition. Gate Control out."

"Friendly lot aren't they?" The helmsman called out as he kicked on the epstein drive, steadily increasing their acceleration to a leisurely 0.4g's. "We're not here to make friends, helm, we're here to project force," Ashoka called out in response. Slowly, the peculiar, translucent surface of the gate approached, bending light through it. It ripped at the prow of the Templar pierced it, engulfing the ship as it pushed steadily through. Karen watched as the event horizon passed through the decks above her and creeped inexorably towards her head. She shivered as it passed through her scalp and down through her skull. While she had the intense urge to, and her training recommended it, she didn't shut her eyes this time.

As her eyes passed through the surface of the ring, she felt as if the deck, the display in front of her, the ship around her simply melted away, replaced with shuddering and glittering clouds of...what looked like the ship, and moving through the clouds were objects...they swam, looped and moved gracefully like dolphins in the surf. One turned towards her and began to move towards her at terrifying speed...and then they were through, the ship was back to normal, the familiar sound of the helmsmans voice announcing their successful transition reached her ears...nothing had changed except for Ashoka's heart pounding in her ears.

She got up and half walked, half stumbled for the ladder down to the med bay, before she left the ops deck however she gave one more order. "Set course for Balcora Gate."

Naomi Wu likes this.
  9. Naomi Wu

Naomi followed what little training she had for the gate, or rather, what little training she retained. She had to sit in a classroom for a month, learning about the gate, it's history, what happened in the slow zone, essentially everything that the MCRN knew about it. Being one who preferred to learn on site, and not even expecting that she was going to have to travel through a gate, her eyes glossed over during the lessons.

While travelling through the gate now however, she felt nervous. Eyes shut tight, hands clenching the arm rests on her chair, and every muscle fiber in her body tense. She felt her ears warm up as the anxiety washed over her like an icy wave of vacuum flowing into a breached hull. It wasn't enough that she had to feel herself get lighter as the Gs decreased, reminding her that she was in space, but now she was travelling to a place that wasn't even space, at least as anybody knew it.

As she went through the portal, a cold chill ran down her spine, making her already tense body shiver. She had no desire to open her eyes, the sliver of curiosity egging her on to was completely drowned out by her anxiety. The sensation of the portal washing over her body was a strange, almost sickening one. As if she was trying to swim through a dense syrup.

Once through, and the ship started picking up speed again, Naomi quickly unstrapped herself from the seat, and stood up, stretching, and shaking her arms, trying to get blood flowing to her extremities again. Taking out her terminal, she taps on it, and checks the ETA for when they should arrive. In the mean time, Naomi dismisses herself from the ops deck, and putters around in the engineers bay a little more.
    [[Time skip to when we arrive???]]

10. Karen Ashoka

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Ashoka had never been to Balcora. It was another "older" system, much like Providentia it was one of the first to be settled, mostly by Martians and Belters who seemed to have formed an alliance bred from mutual desperation and struggle. From what she had heard, it was home to several potentially habitable planets but also a chaotic and extensive asteroid belt. Many of the planets without strong magnetic fields of their own were constantly bombarded with asteroid impacts. The ones that were spared this unending assault were pockmarked with craters.

Several enormous asteroids, some larger than Ceres were home to over a dozen belter stations, carved into the rocks. From them sprouted hundreds of mining ships, fleets of skiffs and rockhoppers trying to make a living amongst the asteroid field. Ashoka had read several reports from the MCRN, station is was a potential nightmare for policing. The asteroid fields presented perfect hiding places for pirates, belter factions and any number of illegal operations.

Luckily however, things somehow worked out for the better. Something unexpected happened, the Belters in their stations and the Martians who had settled on two of the more habitable worlds started to work together. The Martians made regular shipments of air, water & food to the stations, the stations and rockhoppers intercepted asteroids headed for the planets and provided the settlements down the wells with raw materials and resources. In just under a year of settling the system, the two people had signed an agreement of co-prosperity and alliance.

Mars had been watching the situation closely, expecting the Martian settlements to declare their independence from their homeworld and take all the material and money it had poured into the colonies without so much as a thank you. Instead, the colonies had thrived and were now potentially the best options for mass migration. Balcora was one of the few success stories of the frontier and Karen was flying a fleet of warships right into the middle of it.

They had transitioned through Balcora gate a month ago and were burning hard for the joint MCRN/Providentia research base located on Fenris, an asteroid buried far into the belt. It had enough gravity that spinning it up was not necessary, making it possible for Martians and Belters to move about in relative comfort, but it was a hostile location to live and even more difficult to get to. The task force had their sensors running constantly to avoid any collisions.

The station was visible as a small collection of lights, sunk deep in a crater on the asteroids surface. The three MCRN vessels in the battlegroup closed in, switching off their epstein drives and flying teakettle. "Fenris TC this is the MCRN Templar on approach. Requesting permission to dock," Petty Officer Suwako said into the radio. For a moment there was silence until the radio crackled to life. "MCRN Templar, your ships have been granted docking permission. Proceed to berths three, six and seven."

"Bring us in helm," Ashoka ordered. The three ships descended into the crater and towards the station. On the surface it wasn't much to look at, however it extended several levels underground. The three Martian vessels slowly made their way down to the asteroids surface, coming to a slow stop around the docks where they were gripped by several magnetic clamps.

After a brief jolt, Ashoka climbed out of her crash couch and made her way down to the engineering bay where Naomi was already packing her armour into a crate for transport but snapped to attention when Ashoka landed on the deck with a clang. "As you were Sergeant," she said, walking over and inspecting the armour as it was packed away. "You'll need to keep this shit under wraps until we're in a secure area in the base, understood?"

"Yes Sir," Naomi responded, but Karen wasn't finished yet. "Somewhere on this base, someone is leaking stealth composites into the black market. Now I know this is the entire reason you and I are both here, but we need to find them and stop the breach. Stealth composites are bad enough, but if any of the other shit they're working on here gets out...it's going to be a nightmare. Once you have delivered your armour to the nerds on the station, your orders are to find the leak, secure them and then report back to me."

#10 Karen Ashoka, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Naomi Wu likes this.
  11. Naomi Wu

Naomi stops what she was doing, and furrows her brows, deep in thought. She wasn't sure if she was the best candidate for the position, but perhaps that's why she was picked, no one would expect a Martian gearhead to be conducting an undercover investigation. Naomi nods her head, giving a stern, and determined expression back to Karen.

"Yes sir!" She replies, heaving up the final piece of the armour and dropping it into a fitted hole in the container.

She then reaches down, and grabs a data cube, holding up her transponder to it, and transmitting the information and schematics that a proper suit would require.

"D'you think I'll be needing my suit?" Naomi asks, still not quite sure why they're there.

"Also, like, where would I start? I'm too short to be a belter... Maybe I'll pose as a buyer? I bet I could take on twelve of those bony losers with my bare hands anyways." She lets out a giggle, kicking out the crates onto their side, and grabbing hold of the dolly.

Naomi then follows her Commander to where ever they're bound to, this being her first time on the station, she's maintaining a careful eye, keeping watch of the various corridors, and acclimating herself to the new gravity.

12. Karen Ashoka

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Don't ruffle too many feathers. That uniform will be the biggest giveaway...But the moment you suspect someone you let me know and I'll take it from there. We're here to stop the leak, not play as spies. If someone's gonna get spaced before our stay is out, so be it." The lined up in the cargo bay with the rest of the crew as the airlock opened.

Inside stood two individuals, one wearing the familiar uniform of the MCRN, the other wearing the black and grey uniform of the Providentia Security Force, it was he who spoke first. "Welcome to Fenris Station Commander Ashoka, I am Lieutenant Gupta," he said saluting in the peculiar style of the belter quasi-navy. His Martian counter part stepped forward, saluting and then offering his hand to Karen. "Welcome aboard Commander Ashoka, I am Captain Harvey." Ashoka shook his hand and followed the two into the station followed by her crew and the crate of power armour which wheeled behind them on an automaton like a puppy.

As they moved further into the station, Ashoka became more and more aware of the high tech, pristine nature of it. Every surface was clean, polished metal, ceramic or plastic. No LEDs flickered, nothing seemed out of place. It was also quiet, there was no hustle and bustle of regular stations, the corridors were empty. "We don't usually get MCRN patrols around here, the local colonies check in one a month to make sure we're okay but otherwise leave us alone," continued Captain Harvey.

"Yes well, we had a patrol scheduled for the system. It seemed prudent to drop in and make sure you're all still here and not splattered across the hallways covered in blue shit," she replied with a sting to her words. She had seen the videos of Eros, of the alien technology which had turned people into...something else. "There's no concern for that here. We do not have any live samples of the protomolecule aboard the station," Gupta interjected with perfect english, barely a belter accent at all. Ashoka stopped, causing the entire processing to halt. "You have no live samples? Then how is this a research station?"

"This is something best discussed behind closed doors Commander," Harvey said, his eyes flicking over to the rest of the crew. "Very well, lead the way Captain," Karen replied. Captain Harvey lead Karen and her crew deeper into the station to a mess hall where the crew were able to relax for the time being. She followed the Harvey and Gupta into a separate office. "Explain," she said the moment the door shut.

As the two began outlining the manner of the work they were performing, she sent a quick message to Wu's terminal: "Find the leak, let me know when you have something."

#12 Karen Ashoka, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Naomi Wu likes this.
  13. Naomi Wu

Naomi was following alongside the rest of the entourage as they wandered down the halls. The noticed herself glancing towards the walls, occasional maintenance panels dotting the corridors, and various colored LEDs indicating various statuses. She also thought it was strange that the hallways were so empty. Sure, personnel could be seen timidly walking past the ground of marines and COs, but the common ruckus that came with both belter, and Martian stations was missing. Naomi lagged to the back of the group, feeling a level of tension and unease, when her terminal beeped. Slipping it out of her pocket, she glanced down and noticed it was from her Commander, an order, including a typo which Naomi smirked at.

Taking a couple slow steps, Naomi split away from the group, once a decent distance, she turns and turns a corner walking down a new area. With the occasional Martian wandering the halls, Naomi was able to fit in decently, so long as she maintained an aura that she belonged, and hid her MMC badge. She spotted a sign indicating the direction towards a cargo bay, which she promptly followed.

Theft wasn't new for research stations, and especially not ones that are connected to civilian amenities, usually however, things that go missing are relatively cheap, weapons, armour, things pirates want, or that people can pawn off. Rarely ever is it high tech stealth composite armour, and military grade systems. Naomi felt a pang of regret, hoping in the pit of her stomach that the armour she bought wasn't smuggled from here. She wouldn't be able to handle it if she stole from the Republic.

While slither about the station, she turns a corner, and notices a couple especially shifty looking belters huddled over a large crate. She darts back around the corner, and leans against it, listening in on their conversation.

"Ya mang, dis business lucrative." The bearded one states, in a loud whisper.

"I dunno, kopeng to im nakangepensa... You sure he-" Before the tallest one finishes his sentence, a third belter enters the scene from behind them.

"Kewe kowiting ando go, pashangwalas!?" With a big smile, the newest, and shortest shouts.

The newcomer walks over to the tall belter, and places an arm around his shoulder.

"Ya lookin' over da merchandise, huh? Shits belta lik pashang!"

"Naw naw naw, I'm bringin' him onboard. He in good wit' da paxopigi." The tallest one stands awkwardly, shifting repeatedly, reaching up and scratching the back of his neck while he regrets his decisions immensely.

Naomi decides that she's found the culprits, and makes her entrance. Standing tall, and assertively, while still several feet shorter than even the shortest of the belters.

"Oy!" She shouts, making the tall one jump.

"I've got some questions for ya'll!" While she shouts, her accent grows thicker, as her excitement rises.

Before Naomi can even make her demands, the bearded belter starts to make like a rabbit, and sprint, but before he can even make it out of the room, Naomi draws her service pistol and takes aim.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you!" She shouts, making sure that her pistol is known.

"Xiya na pelesh to, paxonisekii..." The shortest belter rears his back, standing tall.

"Kowiting fosho kaka xitim!" Beardsly laughs, ignoring the pistol.

It's obvious those two are accustomed to having guns pointed at them. The bearded one runs over to accompany the assumed ringleader of the operation. Naomi, sure of her ability to take on two skinnies shoves her pistol on her holster, and buttons it shut. She clutches her hands into fists.

Very quickly, the bearded one rushes Naomi, and attempts to drive a vicious hook to her jaw. Ducking the punch with relative ease, she's able to utilize his momentum and lift him off the ground, throwing him behind her thanks to the lightened load given by the reduced Gs. While this is happening, the tall one rushed her shortly afterwards, and drives a sucker punch to her gut. Naomi lets out a grunt from the punch, but is ultimately unphased. With the first attacker on the ground, Naomi plants her right foot on the ground, and lifts her left in an upward kick which finds it's place neatly on the assaulter chin. Lifting him off the ground while his teeth clack together loudly. Falling on his back, he lets out a gurgling scream, his hands clasping his lips, while his tongue flopped to the ground.

Naomi notices this, and grimaces, before getting tackled from behind and falling to the ground. The main belter wraps his forearm around Naomi's throat, and pulls back, causing Naomi to posture up while on her knees, getting choked out. Calling back to her martial arts training, she tenses her throat, making the belter try and squeeze tighter. While this is happening, Naomi gets to her feet, lifting little more than what she's used to on her back during training. Once to her feet, she's essentially wearing the belter as a backpack, quickly, with no chance to let the belter decide his best course of action, Naomi free falls backwards, crushing the thin boned thief under her weight. During this process, she winds herself as well, and rolls over to the side, panting.

With both assailants down for the count, a sweaty Naomi reaches into her pocket, and pulls out her terminal, sending an urgent message to her Commander to come to the cargo bay.

"Found the smugglers. Had to rough them up a little bit. Come to the cargo bay." She writes out, before audibly saying, "And, send... Oh my god." With a couple more pants, through laughs.

Claudia Volpe and Anatoly Yaakov like this.
  14. Karen Ashoka

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "As you can see by the audit logs, there are no live samples aboard. Our primary research focus on this facility is the growth and testing of nano-lattice materials derived from the protomolecule. While live samples were required originally to study and inspire the design, the actual products we are developing do not require it to function...or even be produced. Once we had the template, it was a matter of setting up the production line." Ashoka nodded as Lieutenant Gupta explained the stations operations. He was an animated man more used to, she suspected, speaking with his hands more than his mouth.

Where he finished, Captain Harvey continued. "As the primary focus of this facility is materials science, it made sense that the nano-lattice technology be developed here along with the MCRN's stealth composites. Both are actually produced in the same facility, several floors down///under strict security and conditions." This statement brought a bitter smirk to Ashoka's face, but Harvey persisted. "We are excited actually, the Navy and the Providentian's have granted us funding to expand our operations here, meaning the materials we are developing should enter general production within the next few years." He smiled, in a way which seemed way too content for a man who was in charge of a high tech materials research station, maybe he was just an idiot way over his head...Or maybe it was a ruse to put her off guard. While she was mulling these thoughts over, her terminal chirped at her. A few seconds later, the terminals of Harvey and Gupta began to ring also.

Karen was out the door, sprinting towards Wu's signal before they could say a word. A few minutes later, she rounded a corner to find her chief engineer standing over two belters laying on the deck, hands bound behind their backs. Wu looked up triumphantly, a firearm in her hands. "Found your leak, Hoss!" She shouted down the hall as Ashoka walked up to her quickly, her expression as black as coal. "What the fuck are you doing?" She hissed, snatching the firearm out of her hands. "I said let me know when you have something, not two belters held at gunpoint!"

Wu looked back in shock. She was about to reply as a team of security personnel surrounded them, weapons drawn. "Put the gun down!" One of them shouted. Ashoka, not wanting to cause any more of a scene, dropped the weapon and raised her hands. Minutes later, Gupta and Harvey rounded a corner and looked on in confusion.

"Gentlemen, please tell your men to stand down," Ashoka said, her hands still up.

"That will be all men, at ease," Gupta said, a sour expression on his face.

The security personnel lowered their guns and stepped back, followed by Ashoka and Wu dropping their hands and sighing with relief. "Now just what the hell is going on here?" Harvey said, his eager-to-please demeanor gone, replaced with that of a lion ready to attach. Ashoka now realised why the man had been assigned here, he was not fucking around, still she looked forward to his expression when she informed him of the leak.

"Captain...Lieutenant, these two men have been arrested by my chief engineer under suspicion of theft, conspiracy and sale of classified weapons technology. Wu purchased stealth composited we tracked back to this facility...she purchased them for a personal project on New Tycho Station. Stealth composites gentlemen. She could have been anyone, luckily she was one of ours."

The two men stood there dumbfounded for a moment. "And you have evidence of this?" Gupta asked, his belter accent leaking through. Ashoka handed him her terminal showing the camera logs, and the voice recordings Wu took while overhearing their conversation. "The crate they are discussing is over there," she motioned behind her to a crate still on a forklift jack.

"Secure the prisoners, take them to the brig," Harvey said to the security team before turning back to Gupta and Ashoka. "My office. Now." He turned and left, Gupta right behind him. Ashoka however looked at Wu...and gave her an amused grin. "That was too fucking close Wu. Next time let me know before pulling your gun on anyone...But...Good work. You've earned a reward."

Ashoka tapped at her terminal again, Wu's chiming a moment later. "You've been given level 2 access to the facility. You'll find your armour in room 3-DU, there will be two technicians in there ready to assist you in adding a layer of nano-lattice armour to augment the suits existing armour, followed by a layer of spray on stealth material. You should be there to oversee the installation."

15. Naomi Wu

After the others left the room, and Naomi was left alone with her Commanding Officer, she puffs up her chests and speaks up.

"They came at me, I was in the complete right to defend myself. I told 'em to surrender, and they went to pick a fight with me. Not my fault they're a couple skinnies," Naomi exclaims, clearly quite upset that she had just been yelled at for doing a good job.

A couple moments later, a smirk sneaks it's way up onto Naomi's face, and she continues, "But you gotta admit, I did kick their asses pretty good. That one skinny can get a new tongue with his government payroll... Which I doubt he'll be on much longer," she says with a smirk.

"It was still super gross to look at though." Naomi says with a grimace.

As Ashoka granted her upgraded access across the station, Naomi nods her head, standing straight up and giving a proper salute. Once dismissed, she follows her Commander out of the room, and splinters off from the duo. Walking through the halls, she finds an elevator and rides it 'down' to the level that her boss stated. "Three DU," Naomi speaks to herself when landing at the platform.

She walks down the hall, the doors she pass change their letters as she passes until she's at 'DU'. Creeping the door open, Naomi pokes her head in and then the rest of her. She's greeted by two other Martians who seem busy doing their own thing. She recognizes the uniforms as nonmilitary personnel, which immediately gives her more confidence.

She walks into the room, wearing her uniform with the MMC badge proudly. Taking a couple quick looks around the room, she spots her armour, as well as the Martian looking it over.

"I'm assuming you got the schematic scans as well?" She asks, startling the nerd who jumps.

16. Karen Ashoka

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Ashoka was back in the office of the two station administrators. They were having a heated discussion about the now incarcerated Belters Naomi had apprehended. "The simple fact is that your organisation was responsible for vetting each invidivual who came aboard this station. The fact that these two were found selling classified weapons tech on the black market means that the entire station staff will require their access revoked until this matter is investigate," the Martian officer said, almost shouting. He was bright red and infuriated, the one time the MCRN had decided to work with the Belters had resulted in their stealth tech being stolen and sold.

Karen didn't really know what else he expected. Dealing with skinnies always had its risk, you always had to expect some would take their cut off the top. Especially a supposed Belter nation originally born from a pirate station. The belter commander sat in a chair, nodding thoughtfully as his Martian counterpart continued to tear his organisation to shreds. After a few minutes, he lifted his hand up in an attempt to get a word in. "I agree with what you have said, unfortunately with belters these things happen but we have a particular way of dealing with situations like this. Let me take care of these two," he mentioned to a nearby display showing the airlock where the two thief's were being held.

--

FIfteen minutes late,r much of the stations belter population was gathered around the airlock, with the belter administrator standing outside it. "You were all chosen to be here for a reason. Loyalty, intelligence, the best in your fields...We can not afford to have our relationship with the MCRN be put in jeopardy over petty greed and theft. This operation is extremely important to our government back in Providentia...And these two..." He motioned to the airlock showing the two thieves, "are responsible for the biggest breach in our facility's history. Let this be a lesson to all who would seek to take advantage of their position here, for personal gain."

He pulled on the airlock cycling lever and the two belters inside were sucked out into space.

Ashoka nodded once from where she lurked at the back of the room before turning and leaving.

---

The entrance to 3-DU was guarded, but as Ashoka approached both saluted and the door opened for her automatically. Inside, Naomi was busy with two technicians as they welded on the nano-lattice armour to her suit, a series of robotic laser welders moving about her as she inspected the welds. "How's the suit coming along soldier?"