CERES A new guy at the job

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Yate Gozman, Nov 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yate Gozman

[​IMG]

Yate's having trouble waking up, he didn't sleep well last night. He recently moved to his new apartment on Ceres. Anxiety and stress must be factors in of his insomnia. With all the effort in the world, he barely gets out of bed and drifts into the kitchen to make himself breakfast. Its wall screen starts broadcasting the latest news.

Nothing he hasn't heard a hundred times before. He took out a bag of synthetic coffee and a little mixing liquid. He mixes everything in his cup and puts it in the microwave. In a sigh he goes to the bathroom to shower and then prepares for a day's work. Coming out of the shower, he shaves while looking at himself in the mirrors.

mmm, I should wear a shirt with a slightly larger collar. To hide this scar.

He puts a finger on the scar, it doesn't hurt. When the killer shot him. The bullet passed so quickly that he felt nothing at first. Well, the blood was pissing like never before. That's another story. Back in the kitchen, he takes the contents of the cup and pours them into a portable cup. But first he adds powder "Super breakfast!". They really need to find a decent job and a salary....

He takes his coat, doesn't forget his handheld terminal and closes the door behind him. With his cup in his hand, he goes to the Star Helix office. The taste of coffee and breakfast is not as good as it should be. Money, he really needs money. He spent it all on buying his apartment. Here, he should take a money management course.

When he arrived at his destination, he pushed the office door and asked in the most friendly way possible

- Yate Gozman, I have an appointment for a job.

The receptionist looks at him funny. And waved him to wait....

@Thompson Jacob

Her Manus likes this.
  2. Thompson Jacob

Thompson Jacob Star Helix Senior Detective

Jacob entered the Star Helix Office at the morning to pick up his assignments and check the cases at the board for the day.
    A robbery, a bar fight and a suspected illegal whorehouse.
    Before he could decide which one he wanted, Simon tapped him onto the shoulder.

"Senior Detective Sir?" he asked, insecurity in his voice.

"What do you want?" Jacob asked back.

"Captain Holloway wants to talk to you" he said looking like he wanted to leave as soon as possible.

"Ugh, what the fuck does she want?"

"I don't know"

"Tell her i'll be there soon" he said already annoyed.

He went over to his desk and got himself one of his on-the-go coffee mugs.

Putting it into the coffee maaker he said "One Black" and the machine startef to buzz and hum happily grinding the fake coffee beans.
    Jacob sat down on one of the office chairs, closed his eyes and listened to the noise of the coffeemachine.

The offfice was almost empty.
    It was early in the morning and most Detectives were either already outside on the streets or still at their homes.

He soft beep told him that the coffee was done.
    He got up from the chair and pushed the button to tell the machine he had understood, then he took out the coffee mug.
    Before he put the lid onto the transpot mug he inhaled the smell of the coffee anf the strong aroma filled his nose.

Walked over to the Captains office, he pulled out his hand terminal and checked the news.

As he arrived at the office he saw Captain Holloway sitting inside, waving him in.

"Simon said you want something from me?" he asked straight up.

She didn't seem to care "Yes, we got a new guy, he's got some experience, did this and that, it's all in the file. I want you to introduce him to the Business, show him how we run things out here, understood?"

"Do I really have to? I ain't a fucking babysitter, I am a Detective, I got much better things to do than take care of some rookie" he said cleary annoyed at the fact he had to carry a rookie around with him.

"Yes you have to, no argument." she said already being busy with her terminal again.

"Fine" he said and gave her a grumpy look.

She transfered the file to him and waved him out.

@Yate Gozman

Yate Gozman likes this.
  3. Yate Gozman

Yate is twiddling her thumbs in the waiting room, literally. The receptionist waved to him.

- Inspector Thompson Jacob will greet you in his office.

Yate thanks her and takes note of the directions to find the office. The employees he meets in the hallway give him glances that oscillate between curiosity and wondering if Yate is a criminal who has just escaped from their cells.

A corridor, a second one, a common room, glances and oh finally the door. He takes an inspiration and knocks on the door.

@Thompson Jacob

Thompson Jacob likes this.
  4. Thompson Jacob

On his way to the reception were he planned to pick up the rookie he skimmed the files he had been given.
    There was some interesting stuff about this guy, that´s for sure.

As he walked through the corridors of the HQ he saw a man standing infront of an office.
    Walking past him, Jacob realized he had seen the face before, just a few minutes ago in fact.

He turned around to face the blond earther.

"They told you i´d greet you in my office eh?" he said with a pinch of irony in his voice.

The man looked at him confused. Jacob wasn´t really what one would call a nice guy. His shirt had a couple stains, his beard looked like it hadn´t seen a razor in some time, his coat and shoes were worn out and you could see very clearly that he´d drank a lotta alchohol last night.

He chuckled.

"I´m the poor asshole who is gonna babysit you today. Just follow me and don´t get lost to fast."

Great, he thought. Now he had to carry an earther around with him.

@Yate Gozman

Yate Gozman likes this.
  5. Yate Gozman

Yate turns the total confusion over reading on his face.

A part of Yate's head starts analyzing the person furiously. It seems to me that he is the kind of investigator who has seen everything that is done in the field of evil. Cynical and black humor. Interesting. He follows him into his office. Then stops, he stupidly forgets any concept of politeness.

"My name is Yates Gozman, nice to meet you."

He reaches out his hand to him.

@Thompson Jacob

6. Thompson Jacob

Jacob looked at the mans hand for a moment and accepted it.

"Jacob Thompson, Senior Detective. We should get to work. There's been a reported bar fight down in the Medina, gotta check that mess out. Any questions?"

He walked over to his table and opened one of the drawers. He grabbed two strange looking guns that seemed to be some sort of revolver. They had been gifted to him few years ago. True masterpieces of gunsmithing. He put the longer one into the holster on the back of his belt and put the smaller one into his coat pocket.

"Anything you need to pick up?" he asked the new detective.

@Yate Gozman

Yate Gozman likes this.
  7. Yate Gozman

Yates raises both his hands in the air to indicate that he doesn't need anything.

"I just got here, so I don't know if I'm allowed to have a gun or anything. So I'm following you."

He lets the inspector out first before he follows him.

@Thompson Jacob

8. Thompson Jacob

Jacob froze in his movement and turned around.

"Are you saying you don't have a gun with you? You better check out the amory first then. This ain´t some kindergarten, this is Ceres."

He shook his head made his way for the armory.

How could the idiot expect to enforce order on Ceres without a gun. Especially an earther. Jacob himself carried half an arsenal with him. Telescopic baton, pistol and his two extra guns (just in case).

@Yate Gozman

Yate Gozman likes this.
  9. Yate Gozman

"I don't have an authorized and legal gun license. And I sincerely believe that it's not a good idea to get arrested for possession of illegal weapons. And this from my first day of work!"

|Insert Thompson's reaction here|

Yate follows him in the direction of the armory. He takes out of his pocket his notebook (paper) and scribbles a few notes. Remarks and observations from his new workplace.

The armoury turns out to be guarded by a simple security guard. The latter spoke with Thompson and then let them in. Finding a suitable weapon was not difficult until Thompson said something. Yate points his fingers at a particular weapon. A mid-range pistol with real metal bullets and magenetic accelerators. The base certainly, but it has been years since he trusted this model to ensure his survival.

"I am very comfortable with this particular model. Actually, it's the first weapon I learned to use."

@Thompson Jacob

10. Thompson Jacob

"Just get a gun." he said, shaking his head.

He was tempted to pay a couple goons on the street to show the idiot why he needed a gun. He'd save that thought for later.

While Gozman choose a gun he leaned against one of the office desks in the lobby and drank some of his coffee.

Gozman came out of the armory holding a rather aged model.

Thompson gave the pistol a disregarding look over the shoulder.

He pushed himself away from the desk and pulled open one of the drawers.

It wasn't his desk. He pulled out the pistol that lay inside and held it over to Gozman.

@Yate Gozman

Yate Gozman likes this.
  11. Yate Gozman

Yate's face folds as he realizes that the office does not belong to him. Then the second after Yate tells herself that it's not his problem....for now. He takes the gun Thompson handed to him. Not like he's gonna stand up to a guy like the first day of work.

They're coming out of HQ with a quick step. The shortest way to the bars seems to be a series of tunnels that seem to be not really used. Anyway, if someone tries to stab him, it'll do something to do in his day.

The tunnels turned out to be empty and dark. Nothing to report, not even a dead body or a suspicious dealer. At the end of the tunnel they fell in the middle of a shopping lane enough to have a thin net of regular pedestrians. The bar is just to their left. Nestled in the rock, its red sign is half extinct or destroyed. Its facade is eroded and clearly lacks maintenance. The wallpaper, because yes the facade is actually a wall with wallpaper that simulates the facade of a bar, has come loose and hangs halfway across the floor.

Curtains prevent you from seeing the inside. The door is closed, but noise can be heard inside. Passers-by don't even stop to come in, or take a look. Yate is analyzing their facial expressions. The few who pay attention to the bars all do this facial tic that can be translated as: "No, not this bar there."

Yate can already draw a conclusion from it, which will be confirmed once he has inspected the interior.

"The bar is accessible and people avoid it as much as possible. Maybe a bad reputation. However, despite his inability to attract customers and the fact that he is in a corner of an alleyway that not everyone passes through. I must deduce from this that the bar derives enough income to exist and that a precise and regular clientele constantly comes here. Which might explain why the facade isn't even fixed."

He just said his analyses in a fast, low voice. He does this a lot when he thinks. However, he doesn't know if Thompson heard it. If so, he must swear that he is completely mentally ill.

He coughs to clear his throat. Then point the door.

- You want to go in first?

@Thompson Jacob

Her Manus likes this.
  12. Thompson Jacob

He knew this district of the Medina like his own coat pocket, though if he thought about it he sometimes wasn't sure what was in his pockets. But that didn't change the fact that he knew this area well.

As they were standing in front of the bar for whatever reason Gozman began to mumble to himself.

He couldn't believe it! The guy was one of those "highly-Intelligent" wannabe pro detectives. But he didn't know all that much about the things going on here.

"Finding a bar that isn´t shady is very hard on Ceres and especially in the Medina if that's what your stuttering is implying. This one isn´t though. Owner tries to uphold his poor little business with faith and bad whiskey. Did they teach you that bullshit in some special school for "gifted" children or what?" said Jacob.

Before he entered the bar he turned around for one last advice.

"If you wanna survive this day you will follow me and only do what i said? Understood?"

Without awaiting an answer, he opened the door.

The smell of cheap cigarettes, sweat and bad alcohol hit him in the face.

[​IMG]

The inside was cramped and filled with clouds of smoke. The neon lighting stung in the eyes when he looked at it and the air was barely breathable. The hum of badly functioning air recyclers, mumbleding, bad music and the clicking of glasses merged into a everlasting attack on the ears.

Jacob walked over to the counter. He put the Star Helix Badge on the dirty surface in front of him. The Bartender, who was also the owner, looked at it and nodded towards a small entrance in the back.

"[Didn´t touch anything]" said the man.

Jacob nodded and the Bartender proceeded to clean a cheap looking plastic glass with a tattered cloth.

Italic = In Belter
    @Yate Gozman

Yate Gozman likes this.
  13. Yate Gozman

A freezing cold crosses Yate's neck. Shit, he heard him mumbling.

Yate mumbles a "yeah" not very convincing and follows him inside. The floor makes a funny sound with every step and oh fuck the smell!

He had a problem with his olfactory zones, which meant that sometimes he didn't feel certain strong smells. But here! Wtf, how strong it felt. For heaven's sake, I'm sure someone died suffocating in there.

And let's not talk about music, certainly one of those shitty musics produced generically by an AI for producing music perfect for elevators or other bullshit like that. Except that in this case the AI, well, it lacks half its code and the other half is corrupt.

The bartender looks at them badly. No matter what his bad look and less aggressive than the rest of the bar.

Jacob passes in front and pushes the little door. The latter seems to be in bad shape. Not like the rest of the bar, not more like she just received a shock. A shock that doesn't seem to be normal for a door in this kind of environment.

What is on the other side is not better. First the corpse, finally a part of the bad smell may come from him. Unless the ambient bad smell hides the smell of the corpse...which is why no one here noticed anything.

Yate bends over to better see the body, a hole in his chest confirms a gunshot death. A belter, and strongly modified by gravity. Its physiology is very elongated and stretching. Wait, his neck. Her neck is in a strange position. Oh no, he just broke his neck. After or before the murder? At first sight, his neck is so fragile that it could easily have been broken after his death.

He splits his chin and observes the room. Jacob seems to be judging him. As if he's wondering if he should take it seriously or not.

The piece is...ordinary. A broken chair on the side, its remains wiped clean. Wait, if he counts the pieces and visulizes in his head. The second left leg, a plastic leg, would be missing.

He bends over and picks up a particular piece. It seems to me to be the seat, and the way it is broken proves that the missing piece was rather sharp. Blood drops, is visible on the ground.

There is no furniture in the room. Just a plastic chair, a dead body and another door. Yate pushes her and finds herself in a hallway. Stacks of crates are lying around in every possible free space. This makes it impossible to move in the corridor. Unless you climb up a little.

But there are doors on the sides. And a small window on each of them shows that the light inside is out. And that the parts are small, very small. It reminds him of the sound room at his school. People lock themselves in similar rooms to keep quiet.

An exit door is visible at the bottom of the corridor. Disappointed Yate returns to the room.

- What are your procedures for dead bodies? Do we have the right to look in his pockets?

@Thompson Jacob

Her Manus likes this.
  14. Thompson Jacob

"Sure, not like anyone would give a fuck"

Jacob turned around and looked over to the bartender.
    The man hurried to join them immediately.

"Hey, Beltalowda. Did ya touch anything in here?" he asked him.

"No no, mi na touch anything kopeng." he made the belter gesture for no.

"Are you sure my friend?" Jacob looked into the man's eyes trying to determine if he lied.

"Mi na take anythang kopneg. Mi swear that." he started to wipe his dirty hands at his even dirtier apron.

Jacob took a quick step forward, grabbed the man at his collar and stared him into his eyes at point blank.

"You are gonna tell me what exactly happened here, step by step without leaving out anything or this bar fight is gonna have another victim."

His cybernetic hand dug into the flesh of the man's neck and the bartender could spot the intricate details that fire had left on the right side of Thompsons throat.

@Yate Gozman

Yate Gozman likes this.
  15. Yate Gozman

Yates turns his head away from the scene between his new colleague and the bartender. He never appreciated that kind of questioning or behavior. Well, Thompson just told him he could check the body.

He leans over it again and puts his hand in his pocket. A small transparent bag comes out. The substance inside is unquestionably a drug. A substance recognized illegally in almost all stations. The four poor pills probably don't make him a reseller. But probably a poor victim of the substance. He takes a picture of the bag for later and searches in the other pocket.

Tokens are lying around in this one. Different colours and sizes. Typical of belters black markets. Sometimes one of them has a microchip inside. The latter is connected to a complex cryptcurrency network.

Sometimes the chip is just a precise encryption model that protects a simple text file with a sum of money written on it. It is exchanged in the affiliated places of the mafias and a young programmers reprograms the chip so that the money becomes virgin again ready to be returned to the circuit. At other times, it is not a sum of money that is encrypted or inserted, but gross value. Stolen data, plans, names, a manual to produce something, ship trajectories (perfect for pirates) and more. Only very well encrypted files that sell very easily and well on the black market. And for all kinds of customers: mobsters, pirates, spies, terrorists, criminals of all kinds and so on. The information is retrieved in one way or another. Generally, buy at a good price from someone who is unscrupulous. The data is inserted into a well encrypted chip that is then hidden in a token in a normal appearance. Possible purchasers of the information are first informed on an encrypted forum: the information sold and the identification number of the chip. Then the token is given as a reward as a payment to someone who has nothing to do with possible buyers. This person is informed of the importance of the value in the token. And he can sell it whenever he wants at a very good price. The person receives the money from his payment without leaving any trace of his work. The customers receive what they want. Whoever stole the information cannot be traced back and the mafia who bought the information in the first place to transform it in this way, cannot be traced back. "Information is gold" in all its splendor.

Alternative networks have always been fascinating. But these tokens just look normal. No dessimulated computer chips, nothing. Just some good old casino chips.

He dropped the tokens on the ground and looked up at one of the crates dragging from the corner. The same models as the ones in the corridor behind the door. The crates form a small discreet tower in a corner. Yates approaches the top box and gently tapping the surface. It seems to be a model usually used in interplanetary transport. Import? Or just crates lying around, unimportant? He passes his fingers over the button nestled on the side and the lid makes a small "plop" and a light steam comes out of the thin openings on the side.

The lid is not very heavy and the inside is filled with a bottle of a material close to the glass. A brown liquid is stirring inside. He takes one of the bottles and shakes it again. His gaze scrutinizing the behavior of the liquid. Then, without warning, he opens the bottle and smells its aromas. A rum smell hidden behind a strong strong curtain of industrial odours. Risking his life, he swallowed a sip. The horrible liquid goes down his throat and burns his nostrils. His esophagus sends prostration signals to his brain, visibly upset. And his brain seems suddenly awake. Like he just had a sip of real coffee. As it was at the time with La Quiétude. Yeah well, everything had its good side.

Turning to his college, he smiled. To reassure him that he is not dead. Point the button and then the boxes with the finger.

- It looks like pirate alcohol to me. Poorly fermented, completely artificial ingredients, probably just chemical elements made in laboratories. The kind of alcohol made in pirate ships on a long "mission". It is cheap and can be made in large quantities. He's taking a break. Except last I checked, you need an import permit to bring this kind of product here. And I believe that its production is prohibited for obvious reasons. Do you have the permits?

@Thompson Jacob

#15 Yate Gozman, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  16. Thompson Jacob

The belter was easy to break. It was just a decision of who you'd be more afraid of more. Most people rather told Star Helix.

"To know, da where da three guys, never seen dem around before. Dey went straight fo Simon" he gestured towards the dead body "Talked wit him, pushed him. Poor guy tried to get away. Dey gave it to him real bad." he explained.

"Afterwards dey came back out of da back room. One had a gun. He say if mi say a ting dey gonna come back." he shot a weary glance at the front door.

Jacob nodded, he had expected something like that, gang violence wasn't unusual. Guy had probably missed his payment. Now they would need to find the guys who´d done it, but that was unlikely. These things happened ten times a day, people barely reported these things.

Gozman meanwhile had begun to fiddle around with one of the crates. He foolishly tasted whatever was inside, and paid the price.

When he was able to talk again he turned around to them.

The bartender looked to Jacob in panic. He began to wipe his hands at his skirt. The nervosity and paniche felt in that moment was clear.

"To.. Mi... To-o said mi nah gonna hav trouble wit ... da-t." he looked at Jacob in fear.

Thompson looked at him in seriousness. "I..." he pointed at himself "...said that I..." he pointed at himself again "... am not gonna look at those crates. Does he" now he pointed at Gozman "look like me?" he pointed at himself again.

They´d made an agreement a couple months ago, Jacob would turn a blind eye towards the illegal alcohol sold here in turn for vital information regarding a crime syndicate they´d tried to blow.

He had held his promise. It was up to Yate to decide what to do with the man, the agreement was between him and the bartender, not between all star helix and the bartender.

To signify that this was not for him to decide he took a step back and crossed his arms. He was already thinking about the case.

Attacks like this had gotten unusually common in the last weeks.

@Yate Gozman

Yate Gozman likes this.
  17. Yate Gozman

Yates looks from the bartender to Thompson, then the bartender, then Thompson, then the bartender, then Thompson, bartender, Thompson, bartender, Thompson, Thompson, bartender, Thompson, bartender, floor, ceiling, the wall behind them.

" I...have..flouz...for you i you want" His belter accent comes up against every word

Yates raises both arms in a sign of protest.

" Wait a minute, there's no need to give me money. I'm all but a corrupt guy."

He points his fingers at the bottle.

"Well, the fact remains that this kind of liquid is not really legal. He coughs with nervousness Well, at the same time, not everyone is crazy enough (brave?) to drink it. And the only reason why it is banned is its bad reputation as a pirate drink."

He puts the bottle on the ground and wipes his hands. The brown liquid swirling furiously inside. Already that the basic liquid stirs a little strangely, but the addition of spinal gravity makes its appearance and the way it stirs even more bizarre.

"If I understood correctly, you already had an arrangement with my colleague here. And honestly, the judicial procedure for this kind of case is rather long. Can I suggest you extend the agreed arrangement and let us know that something really suspicious is going on here?"

@Thompson Jacob

Her Manus likes this.
  18. Thompson Jacob

The situation was evolving quite interestingly, contrary to expectations Gozman didn´t put the man into jail immediately. Maybe there was still some hope for the overzealous new Detective.

When the man simply agreed to let the business continue the belters eyes shone with surprise and thankfulness. "Taki taki Mr. Star Helix. Should to ever be in need of anyting, bitte kommen sie immer zu mir."

Jacob tapped a few times on his hand terminal to dispatch a crime scene team to the location so they could collect the body and search for further evidence.

A look towards Gozman told him that the younger man seemed to be done. "We are finished here."

@Yate Gozman

19. Yate Gozman

He follows the detective without a word more. His chest seems to be compressed by an indescribable feeling. It takes a big breath of air (recycled millions of times) once outside the premises. The passers-by pass as if nothing had happened. And Yate is heading to Star helix's offices. He has a report waiting for him on the situation, and he would be interested in having an office. He walks past a vending machine and stops. The latter tackles a most dubious grafiti but still seems in good condition. When he approaches his last one. Its integrated camera scans it and accesses its customer data file. In less than a few moments, through the grafiti, is displayed on the screen of choices that may interest him.

He chooses a bag of crisps that looks nutritious. His account is debited as soon as he touches the image representing his choice and the bags fall into the hole provided. Slowly without great hassle. He grinds his snack as he walks to the offices.

@Thompson Jacob

Her Manus likes this.
  20. Thompson Jacob

When they left the bar Jacobs terminal buzzed. ´Meet me at the usual spot´
    He nodded to himself and headed for a transit station, it wasn´t the transit station they´d arrived at when they came here, it was further away in a different part of the Medina.

He look at Gozman while the man was eating his crisps. "Do you have any questions? Thoughts?Comments?"

The rookie had asked suspiciously little for a detective. He put his hands into his coat pocket, turned up his collar and began playing with his coin inside his pocket. Like that he strolled down the claustrophobic, neon-drenched corridors of the Medina

[​IMG]

@Yate Gozman