JUPITER A Dance With the Devil

Discussion in 'Private Roleplay' started by Chloe Emerson, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Antumbralite

Antumbralite Keith Caileanach

Character Biography:
    Bio
    It all hit Keith at once; a mess of confusion, inquiry, and protectiveness. His eyes darted between Violet and the man she introduced as Remi.

"One piece? What..." Keith's voice trailed off. Violet did not leave Ganymede, she fled Ganymede. Taking a step towards Remi, Keith laid two fingers on his chest in a gesture of gratitude and comradery. "Taki, kopeng."

Keith turned to Violet, kneeling next to the bed. "Vi. I'm so sorry. What happened?"

Even given his tendency to be oblivious to most social cues, Keith could tell Violet was despondent towards him, if only a little. He had hurt her. Maybe not in the way Dieter had, but he had nonetheless. Wanting to reach out for her hand, Keith thought better of it. He inhaled, bracing for whatever she had to suffer when he was not there for her.

Remi Lièvremont and Violet like this.
  2. Remi Lièvremont

Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Im ta nating," he replied with a dismissive wave. It wasn't as if he had consciously done much to help. Drunkenly stumbling into the doctor's cart had given her the opportunity to escape. After that he'd burned himself with stolen coffee and walked them into a firefight between UN and MCR troops.

He looked from one to the other. Then towards the door.

"Mi gonya go talk to Wren, ya? Find out what else those pashangwala have to say."

Remi felt slightly awkward observing the two old friends catching up. There was planning to be done if they were going to raid this base. He was also sorely out of practise at the helm. The ship might have had a sim mode.

Violet likes this.
  3. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Chloe was quietly waiting outside the small medical bay when Remi stepped out into the corridor. Her expression was grim and withdrawn, trying to figure out what she was going to say to Violet. As the blonde Belter stepped into the hall, she swiped a hand over her eyes and took a ragged breath.

She was shaken but didn't want to show it.

"Glad she's awake. I did na wanya interrupt." She said softly, shaking her head.

She motioned for Remi to move away from the door so that they could speak. Once they were for enough away, she turned to face him and kept her voice low.

"I convinced the doctor to take us to this Strickland's lab... We can put an end to this, once and for all. I'll need to get some more information from the woman first, before we can go..." Her words trailed off a bit and she took a breath.

"How are you holding up?"

Remi Lièvremont likes this.
  4. Tyson Lehliri

Discord:
    Antumbralite
    Character Biography:
    Bio
    "Dad! Hi! Been a while."

Lola's smile drifted into a more neutral expression as Tyson's response made its way across the light delay back to Mars. His daughter was a refreshing sight. He loved her dearly, as the namesake of his ship implied.

"Oye, kiddo. Just got back from Titan." Tyson's Belter creole slipped into his vocabulary with ease. Too much time in the Belt, perhaps, but Tyson was coming to prefer it. More traveling to be had out here, which was better than being grounded on Mars any day.

After a few moments, Lola's eyes bulged. "Titan?! And you didn't take me?"

Tyson chuckled at the feigned accusation. "I would have, darling. It was for business. I did bring you back some gifts, though. Next time I can make it home, I'll bring 'em along." He lifted a wine bottle and positioned it in front of the camera of his hand terminal. "Something from... Aus-trill-ya? As-trail-ya? Somewhere on Earth. They call it a shiraz. Looks good. Got some chocolates and nuts, too."

An amused smile appeared on Lola's face, followed by her correction. "Aus-trail-ya. That's sweet of you, dad. Thank you." It looked like she was about to continue, until her expression darkened. "What's that?"

Tyson lifted a brow in confusion. "What's what?" He looked behind him, around the room, but did not see anything out of the ordinary.

Lola looked angry, pointing at the screen. "THAT. I see smoke."

Tyson's heart skipped a beat, his eyes drifting to the ash tray and burning cigarette on the table beside him. Shit. Didn't think about that. He blushed, knowing he was caught in the act. "Ah... yeah. You got me, kiddo."

"Dad. I thought you quit."

"I tried. It's tough."

"I know it's tough, but you need to stop that. You know the doctors told you how bad it is for your heart."

"I know, I know. Just a habit that's hard to break. Sorry, kiddo."

"I love you, dad. I don't get to see you enough as it is. Don't go leaving me for good."

Her statement cut deep. Tyson knew Lola did not intend for her words to hurt, but the guilt of leaving her behind on Mars would be a part of him forever. She had a good thing going at the University of Olympia, and he sent money regularly to help her out, but that still did not make up for his absence. Tyson snuffed out the cigarette.

"I love you, too, kiddo."

There was an awkward silence. Tyson decided to break it first. "So, uh, I can check with work to see when I can get leave to come visit. Any time that works best for you?"

Lola's expression lightened, the smile returning to her face. "As soon as possible. I'll have the couch ready for you."

Tyson returned the smile. "You got it. I'll let you know once I talk to the bosmang."

A giggle from Lola. "You do that, pampa," she teased. Just like Keith, though Tyson knew it was a term of endearment.

As he cut the transmission, Tyson counted his blessings. He could not ask for a better daughter. Shamefully, he lit up a new cigarette.

Violet likes this.
  5. Violet

Violet Mackenzie

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Violet waited until Remi had left the room to speak with Keith. A frown formed on her lips and she looked down at her lap.

"You have nae heard about what's happening on Ganymede?" She asked softly, eventually raising her eyes back to meet the belter's gaze. Her fingers intertwined together.

Her head dropped back down to the pillow behind her, closing her eyes for a few moments.

"The inyas started shooting one another, both on the ground and above the moon." She said softly, though her eyes stayed closed, fighting off the nausea that washed over her.

"But... before the fightin' started, my doctor tried to kidnap me. Which is how I met Remi, he sort of stumbled into the mess." She gestured over to the door of the medical bay, opening her eyes at last. "Things are... complicated. I dinnae, I only just woke up.."

6. Antumbralite

Character Biography:
    Bio
    The revelation hit Keith like a brick. His stomach dropped and anger rose up from his core. A kidnapping? He had to resist from clenching his fists. He focused instead on trying not to stare at Violet. His gaze flicked from her tired eyes to her clammy skin to her round belly. Keith let out the breath he had been holding and nodded. "Ya, heard about Ganymede. Was hoping you made it out, but something less extreme than a kidnapping."

He visibly winced, fairly certain he was not projecting comfort. Keith broke eye contact and felt a flush of shame in his cheeks. "Violet, I was on a job. Left shortly after you did. I had to go dark. I should have been there for you." He worked himself up to looking at her again. It was an explanation, but not an excuse. His work with Chloe was important to him, but so was his family. Keith could not be multiple places at once.

He was full of questions, but Violet was in no condition to satisfy his curiosity. He rose to his feet, trying to give her a reassuring smile. "Can I get you anything? Whatever you need. I'm here now."

#26 Antumbralite, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Violet likes this.
  7. Remi Lièvremont

Character Biography:
    Bio
    He took a breath. Words formed and churned around each other in his head and eventually he decided to just move on without providing a proper answer.

"Fo now...mi holding up," he replied. He managed a half-hearted chuckle, smiling towards his feet.

"Apparently she used to live on this ship. Gonya have to hear the whole of dat story one day.

"Get coordinates? Could do wid talking to da ship about route. Wanya keep it low and careful but na too much."

For a pinnacle racer there was always one engine, one vector. Nose to the path of least resistance and full burn. How could he say that he needed a week of soul searching and a few litres of beer?

Antumbralite and Violet like this.
  8. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Chloe gave a small nod, folding her arms over her chest. She took a deep breath and then slowly exhaled through her nose. There was more information that she needed to share with Remi, but she could tell how overwhelmed he already was. Telling him what she'd leaned from Cardinale wouldn't help the situation for now, especially since there wasn't anything he belter could even do to remedy the situation. Instead, she focused on the easier path of conversation.

"Ya, it's still in her name. Maybe she'll tell you about it when she's better." She leaned a shoulder against the bulkhead with a slight smile on her lips.

The woman rubbed the back of her neck with one hand, pursing her lips. "But yes, we sasa where the lab is at. Just need to get the landing clearance from the jackal."

Her other hand fished out her terminal, pulling up the file she'd sent to herself from Cardinale's computer. "Here's the location, if you want to plot out a route." She murmured, forward the pertinent information to Remi.

9. Violet

Violet Mackenzie

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Violet waved a hand as Keith tried to explain why he'd been gone, shaking her head with a weak but reassuring smile. "You dinnae need to apologize to me, Keith. I get it." She replied in a low voice.

It was a natural instinct for her to assuage his guilt and to ease the pain that he was clearly struggling with at the moment. She didn't want him to hurt because of something that was well outside of his realm of control. A hand came to rest on top of the slight curve of her belly and she pushed herself a bit higher up into a more upright position on the bed.

"I'm fine, really. Just a little dizzy." She explained, even though it was something of an admission of truth. She felt horrid. The room felt like it was tilting around her and her strength had been sapped to the point where she could barely move.

10. Remi Lièvremont

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Remi reached for his pocket on reflex. Only to find that it was empty. His terminal was back on Ganymede. By now stolen and repurposed or buried under a pile of rubble. It was such a part of life and the exchange of information now.

"Er, drop it on da ship fo mi?" he asked, looking genuinely embarrassed to be without one.

His mind would sieze any opportunity to distance itself from recent revelations. One eyebrow arched upwards at something she had said.

"Jackal? You all get animal code names? What do I get?" he asked. He knew he was speaking to an OPA cell leader who had put down an enemy like an animal just hours ago. Somehow risking her ire at a joke was preferable to thinking about alien molecules and experiments on children.

Antumbralite and Violet like this.
  11. Chloe Emerson

Chloe Emerson "Wren"

Character Biography:
    Bio
    A smirk touched Chloe's lips at Remi's question. "In a way. Most of my men have names of an avian nature, however. The jackal I was referring to was the woman that we found with the doctor."

There was a brief pause as she considered something else.

"Though if you want a name, I'll have to think so something." She chuckled quietly, looking the tall Belter over more closely.

"We'll see what I can come up with."

Antumbralite likes this.
  12. Antumbralite

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Keith nodded. Smothering Violet with his guilt or concern was not going to do her any good. She was one of the most capable people he knew; they had been through a lot together, and Violet even beyond. She knew how to ask for his help if she needed it. Running a hand through his hair, Keith could not help but give a slight chuckle as he changed the subject.

"When was the last time we were here?" He motioned to the room, indicating the Albatross as a whole. Since first coming to Io, the crew had not disembarked on the old junk heap. Of course, the crew was now considerably smaller. He wondered if the Alby would continue to rot and finally die in its berth. Keith supposed it could still serve a purpose, even if it was no longer space-worthy.

#32 Antumbralite, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Violet and Remi Lièvremont like this.